4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars, 18 Aug. 2010
This review is from: iBoy (Paperback)
This was my first book by Kevin Brooks and I am so glad I read it.

I was initially attracted to this book because of its premise. I was really intrigued about iBoy and what his `powers' would be and how he would use them. What I wasn't expecting was the dark and gritty back drop for this premise. For me, it was the high point of the book.

I found myself completely engrossed in the world depicted - life on a London tower block estate ruled by gangs and fear. The idea that someone can be attacked in their own home and can't do anything about it - and know that nothing will ever be done about it - is scary. But the realisation that for some it is a reality -it is really terrifying. I think you need to be prepared for how dark this story is. It feels wrong to say I am surprised it's a teenage title - but it does touch on some very adult themes.

I loved all the main characters. Tom was a typical, kind of nerdy boy finding himself in a very unique situation. Lucy was really sweet and I really felt for her. I loved Tom's Nan - the way she got rid of the policemen in the hospital had me laughing out loud just because of how much attitude she had.

As for iBoy - I thought it was such a great idea. I could have done without all the technical information but I think others will love it - and I loved the struggle inside of Tom. How it made him unsure of who he was and whether he thought `iBoy' was doing the right thing. I spent most of the book thinking of the line from Spiderman (or possibly Superman?) - `With great power comes great responsibility' - and I thought this book really touches on that. It raises the question of what to do with power if we have it. Should we fight violence with violence? Should we become vigilantes if we feel the authorities are not there to protect us? Interesting material that I wasn't expecting but I really enjoyed.

I also liked how the book ended - there is scope there for another book - but it is a self contained story. It was also very exciting and I really wasn't sure what was going to happen.

On the basis of reading this I bought 2 more books by Kevin Brooks. I love his writing style - it feels original and very `real' - I just love it and can't wait to read more.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]