4.0 out of 5 stars China Crisis's Debut Album!, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Difficult Shapes And Passive Rhythms Some People Think Etc (Audio CD)
This is the first time I have bought and indeed listened to this album, so here are my thoughts : (By the way I am China's fan knowing their bigger hits).

1. Seven Sports For All - I really like the rhythm guitar on this number and its very upbeat plus chirpy! The bass line and the instrumental is refreshing. Perhaps a slight drawback is its hard to make out what the lead singer is singing!

2. No More Blue Horizons - My, my, my this seems very upbeat too! What a joy! The keyboard at the start was a pleasure. I'm going to repeat what I previously said it would be nice to know what the lead singer is singing about. (Yet, they're not the only group like that. - Just listen to Talk Talk's first two albums!)

3. Feel To Be Driven Away - My first thought is.. is this album experimental? The song has only just started and I like this song a lot, it has to be said. - Well done the Chinas - a strong triple song opening to the Album. There's a whole mixture of instruments interweaving throughout this album.

4. Some People I Know To Lead Fantastic Lives - Now listening to this number - surely it came out as a single in 1982? - I get the impression that 1982 was a very happy time for the group! It sounds like a xylophone is leading the song and it fits in perfectly. Great keyboard instrumental as the song progresses.

5. Christian - Its at this point in the album, things slow down a bit. I think Christian is one of their bigger songs. Its quite a nice song, but doesn't quite go to the lengths of, "Wishful Thinking," - a lovely number of theirs from a later album. A very simple sounding but quite powerful keyboard rift.
"I could lost myself in this honesty."

6. African And White - The drums are very prevalent in this number from the word go! I think this is the weakest song out of the first six. However, don't dismiss this song outright its not too bad! I will revisit this number at my leisure.

7. We Are A Worker - I can't quite make out the prevalent instrument, but I like it. (It sounds like a violin!)
"We are workers in a field!"

8. Red Sails - This immediately seems like an interesting track after the weaker two preceding numbers. It sounds very Eastern in its approach.
"If I had a soul.. would I recognise?"

9. You Never See It - This song doesn't sound too bad either! There's some nice keyboard work again. The keyboard playing is very versatile!

10. Temptation's Big Blue Eyes - I like the title of this song. The keyboard solo has a real organ sound to it.

11. Jean Walks In Fresh Fie - And the album closes with a very slow number. The keyboard slow note playing makes it sound very dream like! There's no singing and it fades away..

In summary, I thought the first four tracks were fantastic and these are the ones that I will listen to the most. Its a good opening album.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]