5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round media package., 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Sony PlayStation 3 160GB Slim Console with DualShock Wireless Controller (Video Game)
Some things not mentioned in the product description; This is a new CECH-3003A console which comes loaded with firmware 3.65 and will require an update to 3.70 if you intend to use PSN. The controller which comes with the console is a vibrating DualShock3 with six-axis, not the non-vibrating original controller the description wrongly states.

I've been a happy Xbox360 user for almost 6 years so after a few weeks, these are some of the pros and cons I've experienced compared to the 360:

Pros

- Much quieter than my 20gb Xbox 360 (I don't know how it compares to the newer 360's). Every now and then you'll hear the Blu-ray disc spin up momentarily but general noise is very low while playing.
- Wireless controller has a charging lead which connects into a usb port. Buying batteries/play and charge kit isn't cheap for the 360.
- Great TV on demand services including BBC iPLayer, 4od and ITV Player. BBC iPlayer is partically impressive, allowing much of its content to be played in HD if your connection to the internet is sufficiently fast enough. Dragon's Den looked brilliant.
- The system is generally much more open than the 360. You can use your own keyboard, mouse or bluetooth headset without having to buy Sony's own peripherals. You can also put a bigger hard drive in if you like, quick glance on amazon and you could upgrade to a 640gb hdd for around £50, not bad at all!
- Had success importing video files to enjoy on my PS3. Firstly, external storage devices must be formatted to FAT32 which means all files must be below 4GB's in size. All the AVI and MP4 files I tried worked, sadly videos formatted in MKV format won't work. I also imported some of the AVCHD formatted HD video from my Sony camcorder and it looked stunning, great way to show videos to the family.
- Playstation Network is free. I've loved playing Xbox Live over the years and will continue to pay my subscription towards it, but it has to be said that Sony offering their service for nothing is very attractive if you're new to online gaming.
- Blu-ray player. Although their price has come down in recent times it's still a bargain to get a brilliant gaming platform and Blu-ray player at this price point.

Cons - Before I start I just want to say that all the problems I'm about to list are minimal at best and shouldn't be reason enough not to buy a PS3.

- Updating/Installing/Loading times can be significant. Getting my system up to date when I plugged the internet in took the best part of 30 minutes, maybe even slightly longer. When it then came to update Uncharted 2 this also took a long time compared a 360 title update which in my experience takes less than a minute. The first time you play a game can also take quite a long time to load as the console has to install a large amount of the game on the hard drive because transfering data straight from a Blu-ray on the fly is too slow. However I found that once this initial load had completed, in-game load times are much shorter.
- No Sky Player. Not an issue if you don't have sky, but this functionallity has been quite useful on the 360 for watching sky sports in a room other than the one we have the sky box in.
- Lovefilm is actually a bit naff. At the moment when you buy this PS3 you get 3 months unlimited (one disc at a time) membership to lovefilm with the ability to stream films to your PS3. Great right? I was initially quite excited about this until I actually tried it. For starters there isn't a great list of available titles. There are one or two I would watch but don't expect to find big blockbusters such as The Matrix, Dark Knight or Avatar. I tried watching Hurt Locker and Swordfish but both had very average picture quality and sound even when left to buffer for a while. This is a shame as the BBC iPlayer app showed that my connection can easily support watching programs in HD so I was quite disappointed with that.
- The charging cable for the controller is very short making it difficult to play and charge.
- Doesn't come with a headset, my 360 came with a wired headset.
- In my opinion the Xbox360's controller is superior. It's much chunkier than the PS3 controller and easier to hold; my hands tend to cramp much quicker with the PS3. I've also found the PS3's L2 and R2 triggers to be less responsive and accurate than the 360's, I'm looking to purchase the EA Sports Comfort Play Pack from amazon which adds thicker grips and triggers to the PS3 controller.

Thats all I can think of right now, I'll update if anything else comes to light. In short I'm very happy with my purchase and now that it costs the same as a new Xbox 360 I do think that it is a superior package.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Sep 2011 18:11:55 BDT
H. Toyne says:
All very true, its nice to read a review that isnt from a teenage fanboy. Both great machines but there was never a choice which I would buy, I prefer the PS3's exclusives, layout/menu, appearance, free online and... colour scheme. Halo was the Xboxs only pro for me (besides I'd rather have Uncharted, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain, Killzone, Resistance and Gran Turismo any day). I'm proud to have owned all of Sony's home consoles, sorry Wii you might stay dusty for a while longer.

Posted on 29 Sep 2011 09:45:02 BDT
Great review. I have an Xbox 360 (which I love), and I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these since all my mates have them and I want a Bluray player too. At this price point it seems a bargain, especially with the iPlayer and 4oD stuff. The exclusive games are also a nice added bonus.

Posted on 6 Oct 2011 20:40:06 BDT
Would like to point out it's possible to stream video and other content direct to the PS3 from your PC by using a Media Server software, WMP 11 will do it. You can save to the PS3's hard drive or watch it live so long as your PC and your PS3 are both connected to the same router. This is one way of getting around having to use USB sticks and the like and the FAT32 4GB file size limit.

Posted on 7 Oct 2011 14:16:11 BDT
L. Thompson says:
Speaking about the PS3, I can only echo your sentiments.

I used to be a happy 360 owner, in fact I was pro 360 before I was pro PS3 at one point until my 360 died within the year and I got to see the PS3 in action for myself in person not long afterwards. Resistance and Ridge Racer looked great but Motorstorm absolutely stunned me!

And blu ray is the de facto way to enjoy movies and tv shows, it simply doesn't get any higher in quality. They're all great products, all with separate pros and cons - but the PS3 is an excellent all around product.

If 360 specialty is online, then PS3 specialty besides exclusives is high quality multimedia.

Posted on 18 Oct 2011 21:33:17 BDT
Buddy says:
I don't know why they don't produce a 'no thrills' PS3 for people who just wan't to play games?. Who cares about bargain bin T.V. and appalling girly
Hollywood films. The games take up all your time, any way. At least that's what i remember when i had a PS2.

Posted on 16 Nov 2011 00:16:05 GMT
sj says:
Can you tell me if this has wifi? Or is it ethernet cable job?
Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 13:10:45 GMT
J. Gartland says:
Yes it does have wifi.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 00:11:02 GMT
L. Thompson says:
Fair enough, but personally I think it's a brilliant and cost effective solution to have 1 unit that does it all with regards to electronic entertainment. That's the PS3.

As for older consoles, similar story, I never bothered with a DVD seperate player I had no need to - just used to use the PS2. Why not ?

Posted on 30 Nov 2011 19:11:04 GMT
Mike says:
Is there anyway I can use an xbox 360 controller on the ps3? I've always wanted a ps3 but I literally can't get used to the controller:/

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 00:10:30 GMT
J. Gartland says:
There isn't a way no. Though as I mentioned in my review you can buy controller grips which make the PS3 pad 'chunkier' and more like the 360 controller PS3 Controller Grips - with Game Grip Technology
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›