ARRAY(0xa900c750)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect In Every Way, 8 Oct 2008
This review is from: Sony DSLR-A200K 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera + Zoom Lens Kit (18-70 mm F3.5-5.6) (Electronics)
I've had my A200 for a couple of months now so thought it was time to write my review. The easiest way to describe this is wow!

Like so many other reviewers this is my first slr but I am no stranger to photography. I did about 2 months of research using the internet, talking to people and reading the photography press. I wanted a camera to take high quality shots and wanted to spend around 500. I narrowed it down to 3 cameras. The A200, the Nikon D40 and the Canon Eos 450D. Now 2 months down the line I have absolutely no regrets. This camera takes fantastic photographs straight out of the box. Fit the lens and memory card, charge the battery, switch it on and select auto, point the camera and press the shutter release. It really is that easy. The first photo I took blew me away and that was just my DVD cabinet on the other side of my sitting room and viewed back via the camera's LCD screen. From that moment my new love affair has started and I rarely put the camera down. Wherever I go it goes. It's amazing the opportunities that arise just while going about your daily business and I've found it makes me so much more aware of my surroundings and I see things I've never seen before that I pass every day.

There have been a few mentions of the poor quality of the lens and it's inability to be an "all rounder" I think it is amazing when you think that you are paying under 300 for the kit. The pictures are sharp, the colours are fantastic and they are in a different world to any I've taken with compact cameras over the years. As for the "all rounder" issue, I think it does an incredible job. No matter what you buy, not just for photography, if you want one item that is going to do the job of 2 or 3 seperate items then there is going to be a compromise. Having said that, you are going to be very critical to find too many faults with this lens. The other point to make is that the camera was so much below my budget that I was able to go out and buy another lens. I chose the Sigma APO 70-300 F4-5.6 DG macro and can't recommend it highly enough but that is a different review.

The battery life is outstanding on this camera. The manual says 750 shots but I have filled my 4gb card up which is a scrape under 1000 photos and the battery still had power left. Viewing the pictures back tends to drain it a bit quicker but if you need the maximum battery life the screen can be turned off. The battery meter is in the form of a percentage and is always on display. This is a handy feature as you always know where you stand. It's accurate too as there's no getting to 25% and then dropping like a stone like the fuel gauge on your car. The supplied charger is simple to use and very quick taking a couple of hours or so the charge from completely flat.

Supplied with the kit you get the obvious camera and lens, battery and charger, plus a lovely Sony strap, the software cd, better than average instructions, a couple of lens and accessory leaflets and a clever little gizmo that fits over the view finder to stop light getting in when you are doing long exposures on a tripod. This lives on the strap and you hardly know it's there.

The only extra you will need to get you going is a memory card. I bought a Sandisk Extreme III 4gb and it allows the camera to take photos on continuous setting until the card is full which is 990 images on best quality. These are under 20 now and sometimes even as low as 15. I also recommend buying a book or 2 to get you started on the finer points of SLR photography. I bought Sony DSLR a200 with Cards (Magic Lantern Guides) and Sony A200 (Focal Digital Camera Guides) (Paperback). They are around a tenner each and I bought mine from Amazon. They are very comprehensive and dedicated to the A200. One even has a little credit card sized guide to put in your wallet and carry with you. I have learned so much from these books and I still haven't got anywhere near finishing either of them. I recommend a good well padded bag too. You don't want your investment getting damaged for the sake of a few quid.

So to sum up, an excellent award winning camera and lens at an outstanding price that will make you a better photographer without even trying. Go buy one, you will not be disapointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Mar 2009 13:16:40 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2009 15:05:35 GMT
Fishman says:
Amazon isn't the place to come for professional reviews, care to write one yourself?

I thought it was fine, the reviewer mentioned alternative cameras to look at and also mentioned is the quality of the kit lens, an additional lens, the battery life, the contents of the box, a recommended CF card, some books and getting a bag for it.

The reviewer is obviously enthusiastic with their purchase and there is nothing wrong with that. Feel free to attempt a better review when you get your camera.

Posted on 25 Mar 2009 14:46:46 GMT
M456AN says:
I would clarify on the type of card:

SanDisk Extreme III SDHC 4GB Card

SanDisk Extreme III CF 4GB Card

as the review was a little vague about this!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2009 14:13:21 GMT
Fishman says:
...and you may wish to invest in an 8Gb if shooting RAW or RAW+Jpeg. :)

I only shoot RAW now and then do the post-processing in Photoshop CS4 (or Photoshop Elements 7, it is cheap and recommended). I have 4Gb and 8Gb SanDisk Extreme III CF cards now, the 4Gb wasn't big enough for a long days shoot using RAW.

Posted on 4 Jun 2009 11:42:44 BDT
book_lover says:
Hi, Sigma APO 70-300 F4-5.6 DG macro does not fit Sony DSLR A200K camera, did you used any adaptor to fit it?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2009 20:57:27 BDT
Fishman says:
J.Pitera, the Sigma 70-300mm fits the Sony fine. You are obviously looking at the wrong one! Here is the one for the Sony:

Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro DG Lens For Sony Digital SLR Cameras

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2009 19:15:32 BDT
Patrick Nash says:
What a stupid thing to say-by extension you had better not buy Scandisk, Sigma Lenses, Magic Lantern Guides or Focal Digital Guides (or Amazon for that matter) all of which were mentioned favourably in this review. What was the point of your post exactly? Take your bad mood elsewhere and get a life.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2009 01:48:42 BDT
John Owen says:
Sorry for my enthusiasm Mr Anthony E Turner. You can't please everybody I guess. I have a Canon video camera I'm as enthusiastic about too. Perhaps I have a family member with a majority share there also. I'd be interested to read your review if you now have an A200

As it's 10 months further down the line I'd thought I'd check back and see what I'd written about my camera and maybe add or change something but I stand by everything I said. I am still having the love affair with my A200 and my photography has come on leaps and bounds.

The only thing I would like to say is I agree with Fishman with regard to the memory cards. I also now own an 8Gb SanDisk Extreme III CF card as well as my 4Gb version as I also do a lot of shooting in RAW.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2009 10:27:27 BDT
T. Jones says:
Great review John got a real buzz from reading it, thanks so much for your enthusiasm on this particular camera, one I hope to purchase in the near future.
I find it hard to credit someone would actually find/make time to complain about such an Obviously honest review - such as E. Turner - gushing indeed what tripe!
Please keep up the good work.

Posted on 12 Nov 2009 16:46:23 GMT
Thanks for taking the time to write such a good review. I too am hoping to buy/receive one of these beauties in the near future. I guess the only thing you omitted was the type of padded bag you use.

Regards.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (129 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 169.99