4.0 out of 5 stars VERY EFFECTIVE AND CREEPY OCCULT SHOCKER THAT FULLY DESERVES ITS CULT STATUS., 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Omen [Blu-ray] [1976] (Blu-ray)
THE MOVIE

THE OMEN is an outstanding gothic cult horror thriller of the 70s, made 3 years after THE EXORCIST. While THE EXORCIST was unnecessarily hyped as a scandal movie (it didn't impress me much) THE OMEN was spared such a fate. It was banned for about 3 years in New Zealand, but available everywhere else. It doesn't make THE OMEN any less creepy, though - a demonic child, intense and disturbing, but rather unbloody, death scenes and a very unsettling atmosphere certainly don't make this a movie for everyone.
Directed by Richard Donner, who brought us the LETHAL WEAPON movies and the awesome LADYHAWKE, did a great job with THE OMEN, which sure deserves its cult status. Relying less on gore and more on atmosphere, this is more a thriller than a horror movie.
The cast is great, especially Gregory Peck, who is just a brilliant actor, and also Patrick Troughton (Klove from SCARS OF DRACULA) who brilliantly plays Father Brennan or the especially creepy nanny Mrs. Baylock (played by Billie Whitelaw). We also get to see a young David Warner and Lee Remick. Also remarkable: Harvey Stephens who plays Damien.
Charlton Heston, Roy Scheider, Dick Van Dyke and William Holden were considered for the lead role of American ambassador Robert Thorn, but turned down the role.
Jerry Goldsmith deserves to be mentioned for his great score that really add to the movie's atmosphere - especially the credits at the beginning - and he more than deservedly won the Oscar for his score (I'll just say "Ave Satani").
Personally, I liked THE OMEN better than THE EXORCIST. THE EXORCIST is overrated, THE OMEN is just really good, while it does avoid anything really taboo breaking and gorehounds will probably scoff at it, still it is a gothic horror thriller at its very best.
THE OMEN spawned 3 sequels of descending quality, a spin-off and an abysmal remake.
4.0 OUT OF 5.0 STARS

THE BLU-RAY

Reviewed version: 2009 20th Century Fox UK Blu-Ray
Feature running time: 106 mins. (uncut)
Rating: R (MPAA) / 18 (BBFC)
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD, French 5.1 DTS, Italian 5.1 DTS, Turkish 5.1
Subtitles: English for the Hearing Impaired, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Turkish
Chapters: 36
Extras: Commentary, Isloated Score Track, \Interviews, Bonus View Trivia Track, Introduction by Donner, Deleted Scene, Featurettes, Theatrical Trailer, Still Gallery
Region: A, B, C (region free)

Picture: B
Audio: B
Extras: A

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jun 2014 23:27:01 BDT
rbmusicman says:
This was another franchise that curtailed some with it's sequels.
This the first one was indeed a 'Classic'
Funnily enough I myself do not own the Blu-ray version, have
the DVD's ....is it worth upgrading quality-wise ?
(Can't agree with your comparisons with 'The Exorcist' to be
honest, as good as this is, it's not in the same league in my
view.....everybody has different views of course)
Well written review never-the-less.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2014 09:29:18 BDT
Caligula II. says:
Thanks for the feedback my friend. Maybe I was just disappointed of Exorcist, since it was hyped as a really shocking and gruesome movie, and I wasn't shocked at all.
The Omen on the other hand wasn't hyped like that at all, so I didn't have such expectations...
I found none of the "classics" really shocking, neither did I find the Hostel movies or the Saw franchise all that shocking. The only movie in movie history that truly deserves to be called a scandal movie is A Serbian Film. Now that is a shocking movie experience right there.
I'm not saying the Exorcist (first one!) is bad.

The Omen Blu-ray is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I don't know how you feel about extras (personally I rare watch the extras, just the movie) - there's a ton of them squeezed on the BR worth checking out. Picture and sound quality are surely an improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2014 13:52:44 BDT
rbmusicman says:
I first saw The Exorcist when first released, it left a lasting impression
on me, probably because of the subject matter, that of a young girl.
Back then we truly had never seen anything like it before.
I'm with you on the Extra's, because I do have and watch a lot of movies
I haven't the time to get into them generally though those I have are often
interesting.
Many Movie-fans love watching them which is why I try to add the features to
my movie reviews, many want to know what to expect

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2014 17:22:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jun 2014 17:28:04 BDT
Timelord007 says:
Great review how could they kill the Doctor in this, Damm you Donner lol

Dick Van Dyke as Robert Thorne WTF...(faints).

I like the sequel but would've prefered a better ending to the third film, Damien gets stabbed & dies the end.

I prefer the Omen to Exorcist I find the story more chilling somehow as it has a inevitable feel of doom for mankind.

David Warner is also worth a mention he's great in this & gets the best death although Troughton Father Brennans death a close second.

Donner is a director of skill look at Superman & Goonies, He keeps this chilling throughout & greats great performances frim the actors.

I recommend you wath the Documentary on this there some strange occurrences that hampered making this movie making it very X Files.

Keep a lookout I be reviewing a B movie classic horror soon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

22.99 10.84