4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, possibly a bit heavy in the low freq. for professional use., 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 202 Closed Back On-Ear Stereo Headphone (Electronics)
I bought these headphones about a year ago to use at college where I'm studying sound engineering.

I will start off by mentioning my few problems with them, most of which have been mentioned by other reviewers.

They are bass heavy. For most modern music, especially the dance genre's, these headphones will give you almost exactly the sound you want. However if you're planning on using these in a professional environment, working with more classical, or acoustic music you will need to keep an eye on how much bass you're rolling off.

The cord. All three metres of it. I don't think I've come across a cable that loves to get it self tangled more often in my life. Also, if you're working in a room with other people, you need to keep an eye on where all that excess is (I have had to extricate mine from the wheels of chairs in college's IT suites more than once). Finally such a long cable is hardly ideal for use while on the move. Yes, it comes with a storage reel, however this is slightly bulky, and if you're anything like me, it will have disappeared within a few weeks.

Finally, the ear pads. While these are comfy, in my experience after an hour or two of use they do begin to make the area around your ears feel warm and a bit sweaty.

Now onto the good points.

Despite their strength in the low frequencies, they also give an excellent representation of those mid and high frequencies. They are a bit limited, in so far as their frequency response tops out at about 17kHz, but most people by their mid twenties are struggling to hear that high anyway, and it is very unusual to get instruments playing that high (without taking into account harmonics).

The cord. As much as in my circumstances i dislike its length, it has proven useful even for me. If you are planning on using these at home, it gives you an awful lot of freedom for a wired pair of headphones. I have found the length just about ideal for lying in bed watching tele with these on (my tele being about 80cm beyond the foot of my bed). If there's no-one likely to be around to get themselves tangled in the wire, then again, these will probably be ideal. If you're going to be using them near wheeled chairs, I would be making a point of keeping hold of that cable-tidy device though.

The noise-cancellation. I can think of only one way to describe it: brilliant. Just putting these things on makes everything so much quieter, but when you start piping in some music you're going to want to learn sign language. Short of the noisiest environments (for example the middle of a building site), with some music gently coming in, you're not going to hear a thing from the outside world. On more than one occasion while I've been listening to music on these, I've not even realised my tutor's are actually speaking.

The power. I'm not a fan of overly loud music, but when mixing I've found its useful to listen to tracks really loud, and really quietly. On the times I've wanted to listen loudly, the HD-202's have definitely delivered. While at average levels, and on your head these things are not audible to the guy sitting next to you, when you choose to give them some oomph, they can be heard across a room. On contrast, when listening really quietly, these have also delivered flawlessly. Another advantage of the noise cancellation mentioned above; you can keep your ears safe, and still appreciate your music on the bus/train.

The durability. As I mentioned earlier, I have had these around about a year. During that year they have suffered quite an amount of abuse. They've been thrown in and out of my college bag, been on a trip to Den Helder in Holland, Fuerteventura and been repeatedly dropped on the floor once I've finished with them at night. All thats happened to them until very recently, is one of the 'phones' themselves has fallen off the headband on maybe 3 occasions. On those occasions it's just snapped back on, and been fine. Recently I've had an issue with the right headphone cutting out if the wire is twisted slightly the wrong way. Frankly, I feel that this is to be expected with the amount of torture they've endured over the last year, and is almost definitely the result of mis-treatment on my part. The build quality is really rather quite good, especially for the price!

The conclusion:
If you're looking at a pair of headphones for music production, or just because you've realised how bad in-ear earphones generally are (not to mention the ill-effects on your hearing), these are an excellent buy. At the time of writing I think these are priced around the 28 margin. More than I paid, but still worth it in my opinion. I am going to be looking at something higher in the range in the near future, but as a first stop into headphones, or as an upgrade from headphones like skull-candy's which are not designed to provide the high quality demanded by industry, these are an excellent choice.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-27 of 27 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2012 01:12:00 BDT
Alex MacPhee says:
A high quality and thorough review. It has addressed every concern and query I had about these headphones as replacements for those I currently use for my keyboard.

Posted on 18 Aug 2012 19:03:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Aug 2012 19:06:38 BDT
stewartgor says:
Hi Will...in all the comments I've read I don't see any mention that they are OK to use with a PC or Laptop. Hope this is not a stupid question...I spend a lot of time working with Open Uni Courses and watching stuff on Iplayer, like films and factual stuff. Well done anyway on the brilliant breakdown of the product.
Thanks...Gordon...PS. a reply would be nice.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2012 00:06:22 BDT
Kidder says:
Not Will, but I think it is safe to assume that these headphones will work absolutely fine with your PC or Laptop. These sorts of headphones come with a standard 35mm stereo jack which is the standard port that you can find on the side of your laptop or probably at the back of your PC tower.

Posted on 29 Aug 2012 05:59:31 BDT
This is really helpful, thanks so much - I just need something for static use, mostly at my PC, but realise that 3m would probably reach my TV from the sofa too! Just want to cut out sound for other people's benefit. So with my PC, I think the potentially weak cable issue may not be so much of a problem. I have been wondering about wireless headphones, but there seem to be lots of pros and cons with those, so I think I might try these first. As others have said, thanks for taking the trouble to write such a detailed, balanced review, it really helps!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 22:55:38 BDT
He's not saying the cables a problem he is saying that the cable wind itself is quite bulky and he lost it after a couple of weeks of having the headphones :)

Posted on 3 Sep 2012 23:29:17 BDT
Will says:
Sorry to those of you that have posted in the last few weeks - my Amazon account is linked with a now seldom used email, so I wasn't aware of any posts!
For any future enquiries, these headphones will work well with just about any device you need them to, from portable MP3 players up to the shiny, cost way too much headphone amp (though, if you're spending/wasting money on a shiny headphone amp, then you should probably be looking more in the 100+ range - perhaps some beyerdynamic DT770's [I've had my eye on a pair of them for a while now, but had too much year left at the end of the student loan!]).
They come with the standard consumer grade 3.5mm jack connection found on most modern phones, just about all mp3 players and other kit like that, as well as the bulkier, slightly more industrial 6.3mm jack by means of an adapter.

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 20:24:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Nov 2012 20:25:22 GMT
Jonny says:
Hi, great review, thanks for putting in so much time it to it!
considering the size of the cable and headphone tidy and that it could get lost or very annoying, quite easily, do you think these would still be a good upgrade from my old skull candy's, for general use?
also, how big (roughly) is the tidier?
thanks a lot!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (821 customer reviews)

36.99 27.00