4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, possibly a bit heavy in the low freq. for professional use., 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 202 Closed Back On-Ear Stereo Headphone (Electronics)
I bought these headphones about a year ago to use at college where I'm studying sound engineering.

I will start off by mentioning my few problems with them, most of which have been mentioned by other reviewers.

They are bass heavy. For most modern music, especially the dance genre's, these headphones will give you almost exactly the sound you want. However if you're planning on using these in a professional environment, working with more classical, or acoustic music you will need to keep an eye on how much bass you're rolling off.

The cord. All three metres of it. I don't think I've come across a cable that loves to get it self tangled more often in my life. Also, if you're working in a room with other people, you need to keep an eye on where all that excess is (I have had to extricate mine from the wheels of chairs in college's IT suites more than once). Finally such a long cable is hardly ideal for use while on the move. Yes, it comes with a storage reel, however this is slightly bulky, and if you're anything like me, it will have disappeared within a few weeks.

Finally, the ear pads. While these are comfy, in my experience after an hour or two of use they do begin to make the area around your ears feel warm and a bit sweaty.

Now onto the good points.

Despite their strength in the low frequencies, they also give an excellent representation of those mid and high frequencies. They are a bit limited, in so far as their frequency response tops out at about 17kHz, but most people by their mid twenties are struggling to hear that high anyway, and it is very unusual to get instruments playing that high (without taking into account harmonics).

The cord. As much as in my circumstances i dislike its length, it has proven useful even for me. If you are planning on using these at home, it gives you an awful lot of freedom for a wired pair of headphones. I have found the length just about ideal for lying in bed watching tele with these on (my tele being about 80cm beyond the foot of my bed). If there's no-one likely to be around to get themselves tangled in the wire, then again, these will probably be ideal. If you're going to be using them near wheeled chairs, I would be making a point of keeping hold of that cable-tidy device though.

The noise-cancellation. I can think of only one way to describe it: brilliant. Just putting these things on makes everything so much quieter, but when you start piping in some music you're going to want to learn sign language. Short of the noisiest environments (for example the middle of a building site), with some music gently coming in, you're not going to hear a thing from the outside world. On more than one occasion while I've been listening to music on these, I've not even realised my tutor's are actually speaking.

The power. I'm not a fan of overly loud music, but when mixing I've found its useful to listen to tracks really loud, and really quietly. On the times I've wanted to listen loudly, the HD-202's have definitely delivered. While at average levels, and on your head these things are not audible to the guy sitting next to you, when you choose to give them some oomph, they can be heard across a room. On contrast, when listening really quietly, these have also delivered flawlessly. Another advantage of the noise cancellation mentioned above; you can keep your ears safe, and still appreciate your music on the bus/train.

The durability. As I mentioned earlier, I have had these around about a year. During that year they have suffered quite an amount of abuse. They've been thrown in and out of my college bag, been on a trip to Den Helder in Holland, Fuerteventura and been repeatedly dropped on the floor once I've finished with them at night. All thats happened to them until very recently, is one of the 'phones' themselves has fallen off the headband on maybe 3 occasions. On those occasions it's just snapped back on, and been fine. Recently I've had an issue with the right headphone cutting out if the wire is twisted slightly the wrong way. Frankly, I feel that this is to be expected with the amount of torture they've endured over the last year, and is almost definitely the result of mis-treatment on my part. The build quality is really rather quite good, especially for the price!

The conclusion:
If you're looking at a pair of headphones for music production, or just because you've realised how bad in-ear earphones generally are (not to mention the ill-effects on your hearing), these are an excellent buy. At the time of writing I think these are priced around the 28 margin. More than I paid, but still worth it in my opinion. I am going to be looking at something higher in the range in the near future, but as a first stop into headphones, or as an upgrade from headphones like skull-candy's which are not designed to provide the high quality demanded by industry, these are an excellent choice.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Nov 2010 19:27:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Nov 2010 19:28:20 GMT
Julie says:
Great review.
I'm a bit confused though. Do the headphones not include a cable winder? If so, I don't understand why the length of the cable is a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2010 00:51:26 GMT
Will says:
They do indeed, however as mentioned in the paragraph on the length issue, I lost this fairly quickly (within about 3 weeks as I recall). I should have also mentioned that this was in my experience a bit bulky for use in a pocket, and doesn't look fantastic on a belt (it has the clip built into the mould).
So, if you happen to lose the cable tidy, you will find yourself trying to handle all 3 metres of cable.

PS. Apologies for the slow response to your inquiry, I haven't checked my emails in a short while.

Posted on 20 Nov 2010 23:37:48 GMT
Yes, very useful review, I particularly liked the tongue-in-cheek reference to the tutor; how dare he/she interrupt a good piece of music!
Seriously, I would mainly want headphones to replace my old ones that the rabbit bit through the cable; used with my korg synthesizer that has no amp, so that's how I hear what I'm playing. Do you know or have a view on whether these will suit a keyboard?

Posted on 3 Jan 2011 23:31:25 GMT
Carlos says:
Thanks to your review, I just bought these! Cheers mate!

Posted on 14 Jan 2011 09:24:05 GMT
An excellent review, Will!!!

Thanks for taking time to share your experience - it has helped me make the decision of which Senn's to replace my current 20 year old dog chewed pair!

Good luck with your career too, chap!

Posted on 6 Apr 2011 17:57:50 BDT
M. Shepherd says:
I've had these for a good few months, and last night after getting up the right ear for me cut out...I think the wire had given way as shown in another uploaded image the cables are pretty thin.

Good headphones indeed but it would be a good idea to be careful with the cable!

Posted on 10 May 2011 21:03:11 BDT
P. suchocka says:
really helpful especially the conclusion part because it helped me decide whether to replace my broken skull candy with new ones or with another brand of headphones. these look the best thnx very much

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2011 21:23:40 BDT
Will says:
P.R. Midgely;

Apologies for the ridiculously late reply, and I doubt my feedback will be of any use to you now unfortunately, but I will answer your enquiry in the hope that it will help someone else;

Yes, these phones would be fantastically suited for a keyboard or so. They're intended for use with low power outputs such as those found on MP3 players etc, and so have very little issue with almost anything you choose to throw at them. While I haven't personally used them with any hardware synths, such a devices phones output would be of a similar spec to the phones output on a decent audio interface such as the ones used in my college, and they worked fantastically then.

P. Suchocka;

I've found Skull candy's are very much a consumer label - sure, they're great for what most users want, but if you want something pretty rugged these are a good shout (as are all Sennheiser's - I'm using the HD 215s now). The one thing I will say (which I mentioned in the review, and M. Shepherd posted above) is that you're going to want to keep an eye on the cable...in my experience it was the left ear-cup that became temperamental due to the wire. It is probably possible to have them re-soldered or something, but I ideally wanted an upgrade myself (just because of what I'm doing for college), and at 15-20 I didn't think it was worth the effort anyway. Of course, if you're not using these in a way where there may be tugs on the cable, or repeated/excessive strain on the connection into the ear-cup these should last a good couple of years!
That aside, I hope you get as much enjoyment out of these as I did!

To anyone looking at these that finds themselves going through the cables on headphones, some of the slightly more expensive Sennheisers have removeable cables that just have a 3.5mm jack going into an ear-cup - these may be worth the extra investment.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2011 01:51:27 BDT
hey mate!
i'm studying audio engineering and i wanted to buy some medium quality headphones..
i think that your nice review and their price just convinced me!!
I hope its going to be a good choice...cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2011 01:52:04 BDT
hey mate!
i think that your nice review and their price just convinced me!!
I hope its going to be a good choice...cheers
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (858 customer reviews)

36.99 27.00