21 of 23 people found the following review helpful
I love you Rockstar North,
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
It's the 6th game in the Grand Theft Auto series and undoubtedly the best. Vice City was huge. You had a whole city to play around with. And now you have a state. The game is about 5 or 6 times bigger than Vice City with three major cities (Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas) and small country towns (Dillimore, Blueberry, Palomino Creek, Angel Pine, Fort Carson and El Quebrados). As in VC, the more you progress in the game, the more land you unlock. You probably know by now that you play as Carl Johnson who has returned to Los Santos after his mother has been killed. The missions then start, getting more and more difficult as the game goes on. CJ's two main enemies are Officers Tenpenny and Pulaski. They make CJ's life miserable at any opportunity. But, you shall have revenge....
Here is a list of some of the things you can do in San Andreas that you couldn't do in Vice City:
- Gain and lose weight depending on how often you eat.
- Change your hairstyle.
- Get a tatoo.
- Choose what sort of clothes CJ wears (torso, legs, watches, hats, chains etc.)
- Modify cars (eg. add hydraulics, new paint job, new wheels)
- Gamble (roulette, blackjack, wheel of fortune)
- Take photos and save them on your memory card.
- Go to the gym and get fitter.
- Take over gang territory until you have the whole of Los Santos.
- Do a parachute jump.
- SWIM! Your character is finally able to swim (on the surface and underwater.). The more you swim, the greater your lung capacity becomes.
- Burgle houses at night.
- Start fires or put them out with fire extinguishers.
- Hold two of the same weapon at once.
- Learn different fighting moves.
- Drive trains.
- Fly planes.
- Use stealth instead of going in all guns blazing.
- Play pool in bars.
- Use arcade machines.
- Ride bikes.
So, quite a lot then.
Another clever feature of the game (as if there wasn't enough already) is that according to what's happening in the game, the news reports on the radio will match it.
Speaking of radio, San Andreas has 11 different radio stations (Vice City had nine) all with their own style of music, except for WCTR, the San Andreas version of VCPR (sort of).
As San Andreas is so big, you don't have to drive to the other side of the state: you can now take a plane or the Brown Streak Railroad which stops at five stations throughout the state (Unity Station and Market Station in Los Santos, Cranberry Station in San Fierro and Linden Station and Yellow Bell Station in Las Venturas).
All the voices are excellently done, especially Officer Tenpenny who is voiced by Samuel L. Jackson. The pedestrians comment on your appearance and you can reply back in a positive or negative way. Recruit gang members to follow you around. Tell drug dealers to get out of your 'hood. San Andreas has it all.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is a brilliant game, and I recommended it to anybody (over 18 of course....). It will take you a long time to complete, but hey, that's the point isn't it? Hope this has helped.
See you later. Officer.