4.0 out of 5 stars A design innovation too far..., 17 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Timex Ironman Men's 150 Lap Tap (Sports)
I've been using Timex Ironman watches for years now - as a runner, the features and ergonomics are just right. Call me old-fashioned but I don't care much for GPS / speed distance / HRM's - I believe you should build up your own intuition about pace, feeling etc on a run. And the Ironman watches help you do this, with intuitive buttons, big screen, and consistent interface.

This watch has the same great features as above, and the multi-lap countdown timer is great for planning interval training. The watch is also sturdy and looks good.

However, I feel that Timex have taken an innovation step too far - they probably felt the need to market something new to generate sales. But the new features aren't great. The tap screen is ok, even fun to use. However, I found I had to set it to the 'hard tap' setting otherwise it would 'tap' when running into a headwind, or swimming (water pressure on the watch). It's a good feature, but I'd prefer the positive action of a button, which I feel there was no reason to get rid of - it was large, ergonomically sited, and couldn't be pressed by accident.

A few other backward steps, the memory recall system has been messed around with - when viewing the history you can only go back in time - so if you pass by a workout then you have to cycle through the whole lot (which could be quite a lot because of the default to save each workout). The strap is good, but the retainer does have a tendency to pop out - and as another review said, this is NOT a women's watch - I am a bloke with relatively small wrists and the watch is big on me.

Timex have introduced some other features that will only appeal to Ironman participants - feed counters / alarms - probably quite a welcome thing, but I'm principally a runner and swimmer. The target race time feature is still there - I don't use it (preferring my intuition), but can see it being useful for pacing yourself over a marked course.

So in summary, still a great watch, and ergonomically still in my opinion the best out there for runners. However, the watch is suffering from 'feature creep'. If you've never owned an Ironman then you'll be blown away by the easy-to-reach features of this watch. If you owned the previous version then you may have some empathy with my comments.

Nov-2013 Update: Having used this watch for over a year, I have to agree with my above comments, and furthermore, I am disappointed to say that the strap retainer not only didn't do its job, but also broke recently (I've been using a rubber band to hold down the strap, which actually does a better job). And the final nail in the coffin, the watch has ceased to be water-resistant and as a result has flooded - not very useful if you are a pool/sea swimmer. I therefore can't really recommend this watch, despite its impressive array countdown timers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jul 2011 21:00:26 BDT
I totally agree with you comment. With regard to 'ghost' laps being counted, I have contacted Timex who suggest this is not a problem that they are aware of - Liars.
Originally I blamed water pressure and alike on the ghost laps, but I now feel it is more likely due to the fact (and I am making an assumption that you wear it on your left arm) that the movement of your wrist/back of hand actually activates the lap counter button on the side of the casing - the problem is far less regular if worn on the right hand where accidental lap counting is less easy due to the button then being toward your elbow. Try it - it may help. BTW -Timex have said it is not possible to disable the side buttons.

I also concur with your comment about the one directional search through the logs - very annoying.

The display is a good size and clear, so a decent watch but the additional features do not work well. Within days i stopped using this watch for lap counting in the pool (it's useless) which leads to frustration.....

Some of the hydration and food alarms are good as are the timing/pace counters...... Would I buy another of these - NO.

Cheers