Shop now Learn more Shop now Up to 50% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty fried chips with minimal effort, 25 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Acti-Fry by Tefal AL800040 Low Fat Electric Fryer, 1 kg Capacity, White, OLD (Kitchen & Home)
I have owned one of these for a couple of months and have not regretted it for a moment. I do not like deep fat fryers so have previously relied on oven chips or baked my own chips in the oven, until this great item came along.

The chips really do taste like they have been deep fried and take about 40 minutes to cook. The quantity you can produce is reasonable for two people, probably three, and you do only need a spoonful of oil to do so.

It is really easy to use and wash up (the tray lifts out and the lid is removable). It comes with a recipe book that indicates you can cook lots of other things in it, such as chicken, but even if you only make chips I'd say it is a good buy.

Other than the size, which seems a little on the bulky side, the only other drawback is that the noise of the timer is drowned out by the noise of the machine when it is working. The machine is not noisy overall; you do have the sound of the air circulating around the food but I would say it is no more noisy than the sound made by my fan oven in operation. The 'problem' is that the timer is just too quiet to be heard unless you are standing right by the machine and the actifry stays running and cooking the food until you switch it off. I have overcome this by using my oven timer to alert me when the food is ready but I think it is a small design fault (I sent one actifry back as I thought the timer was so quiet it was faulty, but the replacement is exactly the same).

Best bits: the food produced and it is easy to use and clean.

Not so good: timer seems redundant and it is a bit bulky.

See my comment below about the longevity of the design.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Jan 2008 13:56:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2008 22:49:51 GMT
I have owned an Actifry since August 2007 and, apart from sending the original one back because the timer seemed too quiet, I have actually been very pleased with its performance.

Unfortunately I have just had to send back my second model because the non-stick surface of the pan had become eroded during the cooking process (it looked as though the paddle might actually be damaging the surface as it revolved). The replacement I have received indicates that Tefal has updated the design in several ways, possibly because of adverse feedback (though still not that quiet timer). The pan now looks more robust with an enamel surface and the paddle design has altered and is now held on with a clip that needs to be depressed to remove and reattach it for cleaning.

Whilst I am disappointed that my Actifry failed, I would still recommend it for the cooking ability and the great results it produces. Having said that, I think it possibly should have been tested more thoroughly before launch to iron out some of the design flaws.

I would urge anyone thinking of purchasing one of these to check that they are not getting the original model. I did not mistreat my actifry but it did prove to be faulty. The newest model does seem to be of more robust construction and potentially more fit for purpose. I certainly would not expect a failure of the non-stick coating to occur after the light use experienced.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2008 11:20:36 BDT
Ian Wardell says:
Apparently the modification to the paddle and the mesh filter are standard for those actifrys manufactured after week "4807". This number is stamped on the appliance and the outer box. I have informed Amazon 11 days ago of this so that they could let me know whether they stock this latest design. All they have to do is go and peek at the number! So far no reply has been forthcoming. I have just contacted them again via their online form today and will post any response I might get.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2008 20:13:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2008 20:16:55 BDT
You may wish to consider purchasing from Lakeland ( They have a no quibble guarantee and have swapped my actifry out twice. They are definitely supplying the newest model and since I received that, I have had no further problems.

Posted on 19 Apr 2008 23:34:28 BDT
Ian Wardell says:
I have just found out they do indeed "have the updated version of the "Actifry" in stock". That seems to me a bit ambigious though because it could either mean that all of the actifrys they have in stock are the updated version, or only some of them are.

Posted on 3 Nov 2008 19:56:04 GMT
Did yours burst into flames?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 13:03:47 GMT
Mine didn't burst into flames but it dis stop working three days with a pop and a bang and smoke. I phoned Tefal customer services on 0845 602 1454 and they are collecting my old one and bronging me another a few days later. I love it so much I'm taking the risk again.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2008 21:51:32 GMT
I must admit that I am concerned about the problems reported on Watchdog. 221 out of 50,000 (odd) sales might sound like a low failure rate, but I am relieved that I have not had one of the faulty ones (to date). It seems crazy that there is no safety mechanism built in to protect the item should the fan fail (allegedly) and I intend to contact Tefal to find out exactly what their position is. Whilst I have been using the Actifry regularly since I purchased it, I will not continue to do so in the future unless they can offer reasonable reassurances about its safety.

Posted on 20 Jun 2009 10:38:44 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Jun 2009 10:41:53 BDT]

Posted on 21 Sep 2009 22:00:37 BDT
N. Barter says:
How did you rate this 4 stars if it takes 40 mins to cook chips? You can oven cook it in less time in the oven. And you can't properly blanch the chips.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2009 01:56:31 BDT
W. J. Evans says:
The exact same thing happened to mine... a pop bang and smoke and terrible yet we havent rung tefal because of no proof of purchase but its less than a year old!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›