2.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the flip out screen Canon!, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Canon Powershot G16 ( 12.1 MP,5 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD ) (Camera)
I have had 2 Canon G series cameras before buying the G16. The G12 was, for me, the best model as it had the flip out screen on the back. You can compose pictures from angles that you would have to guess at with the G16, which doesn't have the flip out screen. For street photography it's a must, giving you confidence and discretion to take some great pictures with getting noticed to much or challenged by anyone. Canon has let themselves down omitting the flip out screen on the later models, they really have. I know it slims down the camera by not having it but I don't mind having it slightly bulkier. I'd rather have the option to take nicer pictures than have a slimmer camera.
The G16 has better sensitivity at high ISO but to be honest most of what I do is at the lower end and again the G12 is good enough to produce more than enough quality for what I need. I thought the G16 was going to be outstanding quality but, although it's good, it's not mind blowing which is what I expected. The G16 also has 9fps which is phenomenal for a compact camera, truly outstanding with no buffer. You can press the button and fill the card. It also does one shot but there is nothing in between. It's either one shot or 9fps. It would nice to something in the middle.
So 2 stars it is, mainly for doing away with the flip out screen.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Nov 2013 16:09:50 GMT
B. Janes says:
Utterly absurd to wipe out 3 stars just because it doesn't have a flippy out screen, if you want one, buy something else!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2013 12:01:14 GMT
Hi BJ. It's in the post on its way back as we speak. It's not absurd as you say, it's because I know what I'm talking about. Here's an example picture where the flip out screen comes into it's own. This is what's called a Hail Mary where the camera is held above your head. The people in the picture were held back from the tube for safety reasons. They built up to a big crowd. They were then let in. The mass of bodies only lasted about 20seconds. I could use the flip out screen to compose the pic whilst holding the camera in the air. I had it on the second frame. To do this with the G16 you would be guessing and by the time you had what you wanted ( composed nicely ) you would have missed the moment.
Here's the pic.
Peter.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2013 11:24:31 GMT
B. Janes says:
Fair point, I feel this camera wasn't right for you and isn't necessarily deserving a 2 star review based on the fact it didn't have a screen that flips out. I'm happy with this because I'm happy with the reduced cost/bulk. A touchscreen is the bigger omission seeing as the S120 has this, perhaps Canon are keeping the G range more traditional? Everything is a compromise. Anyway, I get mine this week to accompany a Canon 70D for times when I don't want the extra bulk of a DSLR.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013 20:33:32 GMT
Nice picture :-) I too have a G12, and a G2, and have been dithering about getting a G16, mainly for the faster lens. I must admit I do like the flip out screen on the 12 and think I would miss it if I didn't have it. Decisions, decisions.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 14:49:53 GMT
PT says:
Out of interest, what camera DID you choose instead of the G16?

Paul.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 16:59:40 GMT
Hi Paul, I got the Fuji X100s.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 23:24:39 GMT
PT says:
Thanks for your swift reply Peter. The X100S is double the price and doesn't have a flip out screen - you really must have fallen in love with this dpreview Gold Award camera! :-)

Paul.

Posted on 26 Dec 2013 17:48:57 GMT
I find you review of 2 stars utterly stupid !!

You knew before buying it did not have one..... yet you bought it anyway and then slate it for not having a feature you knew it already didn't have........ THEN return it to but another camera... for more money that STILL does not have the flip out screen you so dearly need in the first place....

As far as quality is concerned, it's most likely your computer display and or printer are the culprits, not the camera....

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2013 19:56:10 GMT
Thanks Midland,
Glad to see someone's reading my reviews. You'll be pleased to know I took the Fuji back too for the same reason. I just can't make my mind up. I've since put the G12 in for repair and can't wait till I get it back. In the meantime here's a link to what the G12 is capable of when in the right hands, a free ebook of mine taken on the camera.
Happy New Year!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 18:40:30 GMT
Christos5120 says:
Just explain to me how your 2 star rating will help me decide if this is good camera or not for me to buy. After all, this should be the purpose of any review.
Before I even go to the product reviews I see an average of 3 stars, so, normally I should look elsewhere. The only reason I came to read the review is because I know HOW people evaluate products in Amazon.
Maybe Amazon should make 2 categories: One for PERSONAL LIKES (aka FB) WITHOUT stars and another one with REAL OBJECTIVE helpful REVIEWS WITH stars!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›