5.0 out of 5 stars Use with or without hifi, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: ION Profile LP Vinyl-Archiving Turntable (Electronics)
I had previously been recording my vinyl to PC using Magix Audio Cleaning Lab v1.3 (2000-1) and connecting to my PC line in from the headphone socket of my Kenwood hifi. Unfortunately my Kenwood turntable developed a problem and the arm refused to lift at the end of a record. It would drag across the record doing untold damage to vinyl and stylus and making an awful noise. Clearly I needed a new turntable.

I looked at the Kenwood turntables but they had a poor review, and quality turntables were around 160. For less than half that amount I was able to buy this Ion USB turntable so I crossed my fingers and took the plunge.

I couldn't be happier with the result! The box which arrived rattled a bit, but when opened I found another box packed inside along with a 3 pin adaptor for the two pin plug. It was the adaptor I could hear rattling. The turntable itself is about two inches wider than my old one but sat nicely on top of the stacking unit (inside it's cupboard) and does not look out of place.

There are red and white phono type jack plugs from the back of the turntable to connect it to the hifi - note you must connect to the 'aux in' ports as the turntable has pre-amp and gives a hum if you connect it to the 'phono' ports used by the previous turntable. There is also a USB lead supplied to connect the back of the turntable with your PC.

I did not install the e-z software CD which came with the turntable as the instructions suggested downloading Audacity instead if you wanted to manipulate your recordings: inserting track numbers and naming tracks etc. I therefore downloaded and installed Audacity.

The Ion USB turntable sounds excellent as part of my hifi and I am delighted with it's quality. The real test would be the ease of use for copying records to the PC.

When I first ran Audacity I was unable to hear anything through the PC headphones during the recording process and had to rely on the hifi speakers (or headphones in the hifi) to monitor the recording. Using the help tab in audacity I found that I needed to enable 'Software Playthrough'in the recording setting. This allowed me to hear the recording as it was being made through the PC headphones and I was able to switch off the hifi! In theory then, I could take the turntable away from the rest of the hifi and do my vinyl copying elsewhere, just using the PC to hear what I was doing.

However, I'm a bit of an old fogey and can't get to grips with this Audacity thing. I found it cumbersome and had difficulty in placing track markers for naming, and couldn't work out how to do the clean up process to remove clicks and background noises. Luckily, being an old fogey, I never throw anything away, so I still had my ten year old software programme Audio Cleaning Lab.

Using ACL I was easily able to record from the turntable, checking the 'auto track marking' box to save me time looking for the track endings to insert markers. I then chose 'export' to save the recording as an mp3 file (ensuring the check box is ticked for individual files for each track)and switched on all the declicker, dehisser etc buttons to improve the quality as the file is saved. Finally I open the folder containing the recorded mp3 tracks to rename them from track 1, track 2 etc to insert their correct names.
The only problem with my old version of ACL is that I cannot enable software playthrough so I need to keep the turntable linked to the hifi to hear what I am recording.

All told, I am very pleased with my new turntable - it sounds great as part of the hifi, looks good on the stack, and is ideal for copying vinyl to PC as mp3 files. I just need a younger brain to understand Audacity!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Aug 2012 21:47:05 BDT
Hi Martin, really great reveiew I was just wondering Im still abit confused, is there also an option to plug in a standard aux jack for use with modern desktop computer speakers? As im buying this for university and with a student budget cant afford a hifi :')

Alex

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 21:11:42 BDT
timh says:
great review, and found the 'software playthrough' comment solved a problem with audacity I have always had ! I don't think you need a younger brain, you just need a couple of hours experience doing it then it will all fall into place ! cheers. tim

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 07:38:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Aug 2012 07:52:16 BDT
Martin says:
Hi Alex
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. There is no headphone socket on the record player. In order to hear your records you would either connect to a hifi using the phono jacks (one red, one white) or use a USB lead to connect to your laptop and connect your headphones to the laptop. You would also need a suitable programme on your laptop to receive the signal into the USB. I would recommend Audacity 1.3 (free download). On the 'Transport' tab click 'Software Playthrough' to enable your headphone sockets. Click the 'Record' button to hear the sound from the player. This will record the music onto your laptop while you listen. If you don't want it saved onto your computer just don't save it when you are finished.

If you are unable to hear sound from your laptop then check Control Panel/ Sounds/Properties. Your default for microphone will have changed to USB (okay) but the default for speakers will have ALSO changed to USB. Change the default for speakers back to your previous setting from the drop down list to hear your music again.

Lastly, I'd recommend a good pair of headphones for sound quality rather than desktop computer speakers - the difference in sound is amazing!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (156 customer reviews)

66.79