5.0 out of 5 stars Great handset. Perfect upgrade from my iPhone 4, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Apple iPhone 5c 16GB Blue SIM-Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I recently decided to get an iPhone 5C in blue when my upgrade date came up with Vodafone. This is my 1st upgrade since my iPhone 4, which I previously had on a 24 month contract & I must say this is one hell of a great handset to upgrade to,

I was originally looking at getting an iPhone 5S also, but decided that going for the iPhone 5C was the better option as I could get it free on the the monthly tariff I was looking at & would have to either drop down a tariff to get the iPhone 5S free or pay £89 to to get the handset on the same monthly tariff.

After owning the handset for just over a week now, I can say hand on heat that I am really impressed with the 5C & in no way regret going for this model over the 5S.

In the past Apple has followed the same release pattern ever since the original iPhone was replaced by the 3G. New model gets released becoming the flagship iPhone & the previous version remains in the line up at a reduced price. This time however Apple has gone down a different route. Instead of keeping the original iPhone 5 in the lineup along side the 5S at a reduced price, Apple has scrapped the original iPhone 5 & replaced it with the 5C at a lower price point to the 5S, which is essentially the same as the iPhone 5 internally placed inside a new polly carbonate plastic shell which comes in a vary of vibrant colours including white, pink, yellow, blue & green which look quite fantastic + very eye catching. The differences don't end at just a splash of colour to the handset, Apple has updated a couple of pieces of hardware including a slightly better front facing iSight camera + a bigger battery which provides about 10% more juice. The iPhone 5 lineup also introduced a slightly larger 4.0" Retina display screen which looks absolutely crystal clear & vibrant + also increases the iPhones standard home screen size, allowing for 6 rows of app, which is a nice increase from the 5 rows found on previous models with 3.5" displays.

Quite a few people have commented on Apples decision to change the construction to polly carbonate plastic, saying that it looks cheap or kiddish, but in all honesty I have to say that this handset feels anything but cheap. Whilst the handset is as Apple puts it "Unashamedly plastic", it still feels like a very high quality product which is very well constructed. I quite like the fact the handset is a little bit thicker & heavier in comparison to the 5 & 5S as it feels very comfortable in the hand, so I feel like I quite easily handle it without a case being needed for better grip, which is something I always found with my iPhone 4 with its square edges.

Performance wise is where I really noticed a huge improvement over my iPhone 4. I had updated my old iPhone 4 to iOS 7 & was now quite familiar with it, but it's plain to see that Apples latest version of iOS was clearly optimised for the iPhone 5 lineup. Thanks to the new A6 processor which was introduced in the iPhone 5, iOS 7 zips through tasks like a breeze such as loading up web pages in Safari or loading up updates to Facebook. The iPhone 5C'S A6 processor also allows iOS 7 to handle more apps in multitasking with ease without any issues.

At the end of the day, I would whole heartedly recommend the iPhone 5C to anybody upgrading from an iPhone 4S or lower model as it is an awesome handset, especially if you'd like to save a bit of money to get a slightly better tariff deal. However, if you are upgrading from an iPhone 5, I would probably recommend going for the 5S as this would be a bigger jump in performance.

[Add comment]