4.0 out of 5 stars The evolution of Mara Dyer *!Caution, contains spoilers!*, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer Trilogy) (Hardcover)
I am not writing this review to get you interested in this product, so if you haven't read the book yet and are looking for a quick summary: don't read this review.
It's going to be riddled with spoilers!

I have been looking forward to this book for quite some time.
I was in an absolute terrible mood after reading the first book, because I had no idea that it was only a first volume.
While I loved every page of the first book, I have mixed feelings about this one.

While the story is spectacular and so original, I felt there was just a bit too much going on in this book.

I loved the Jude breaking into her house angle and that every now and then it had me thinking that maybe Mara was really going a little crazy.

I don't quite get how Abel Lukumi will feature in the next volume, I understood his addition to book one and while he wasn't really in this one, It's safe to assume he'll be coming back for the final instalment. (The next one is the final instalment right?)

Mara's family continued to capture my heart, how much they love her and how they just can't make sense of her.
It feels real to me. And Daniel is just an amazing brother.
Mara's mother become much more interesting in this sequel because she was obviously worried about Mara being like her own mother.

I love all the twists and turns and unexpected surprises but there were just a few too much.
Getting admitted, getting released, her grandma, Noah's mom and her grandma, Jude kidnapping her, Getting admitted (again) and finally (my least favorite) the big showdown at the retreat.

The Jude-kidnapping her one, I loved! It was brilliant, the way he made her cut her own wrists so she would get admitted and her family would think she was suicidal.
That's what I call absolutely brilliant writing, and I applaud Michelle Hodkin for that.
But the showdown at the in-patient retreat felt a forced to me, rushed even. It was a bit predictable and for me the book should've ended after Noah and Mara discovered that Dr Kells was in the know about everything.

Which brings me to the final reason, the MAIN reason this book is amazing: Noah and Mara's relationship.
Their relationship is HOT. It's riveting really; the loyalty, the attraction, their conversations,... all of it.
I'm hooked.

But mainly: Noah Shaw.
Because Noah is, to quote the book, sex in a slim-cut tux.
I knew something was going to happen to Noah at the end of the book, but I was hoping that he wouldn't die.
Though I'm pretty sure that we'll find out Noah managed to escape death when the next book comes out.
There's no way in hell that she would kill Noah off just like that, let's face it Noah is the reason 70% percent of us are so into this book.
So I'm calling Michelle Hodkins bluff on this one.

All in all, this book is worth 4 stars in my account; for the great writing and vocabulary, the interesting characters and the dynamic between the characters.

Noah Shaw is worth 6 out of 5 stars, quite possibly the most amazing book-love-interest ever!

I will be waiting impatiently for volume 3.

If you would like to share your thoughts on the book with me, don't hesitate to comment on my review.
I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this, maybe you have an insight that I don't have!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]