3.0 out of 5 stars It's good at what it's designed to do, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Canon (Electronics)
I bought this lens in view of my upcoming holiday to China. I had read the reviews that clearly reflected that this lens is a great walk-around lens with a good focal length range.
Indeed it is and for normal travel usage this lens is very good indeed.
However, I am also a member of a camera club which requires me to produce images of good overall sharpness. I tested this lens quite thoroughly at home using different settings and FLs. The results were fine from a holiday image perspective, but i found them a little on the soft side.
If you're intention is to have a single good walk-around lens, then this one is good. If you are looking for better quality image taking, then it probably isn't.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2013 07:13:22 GMT
PMG says:

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 09:33:16 GMT
Ken says:
If you think that this lens is as sharp as say a Canon 24-105mm f4l (which i have bought as a replacement) then YOU need YOUR eyes examined! I suggest that you put your glasses on and read my comments properly! The lens is perfectly satisfactory for people who want a very good all-round lens with good overall performance. However for more exacting requirements, and I as I said, for critical analysis in club competitions, this lens isn't up to the same job as high-end lenses.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 13:46:08 GMT
Nathan Wulf says:
Id definitely agree with this.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2013 16:12:54 BDT
John W says:
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Nikon

You are of course totally correct nothing beats the Canon L lens it's a pity that Nikon do not make the same, as there camera's now out way canon's list and are alway in the top ten top 5 this yr canon I thing were 8th with the 5D mark 3

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2013 16:35:45 BDT
Kaby says:
I have a selection of Canon L lenses, but have been impressed with a Sigma 100mm macro lens I bought second hand, so I am interested in the 18-250. For those arguing the toss between Canon and Sigma, it is interesting that the Canon version of Photoplus magazine August 2013 tested a range of superzooms and awarded 90% to the Sigma 18-250 and 89% to the Canon 18-135. For me, that makes it a good choice for an all in one lens, but I wouldn't expect it to perform as well as a Canon L lens which will cost at least twice as much.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2013 17:20:14 BDT
Ken says:
I agree, Kaby. In fact I also own an earlier version of the Canon 18-135 lens and it was a pretty good walk-around lens. In my testing after I bought the Sigma superzoom, I was actually comparing results between these two lenses in so far as I could. My own view was that there wasn't a great deal of difference between the quality (the Photoplus survey also implies similar), but probably on balance, the Sigma was a bit better, and certainly more convenient as a walk-around. However as I explained, I was looking for much sharper and generally a better performance for club purposes, and was prepared to pay more for it. Frankly, I haven't been disappointed by my decision which was right for me.
However I am still convinced that the Sigma is an excellent lens and does the job it was designed to do extremely well. Personally, I too will continue to put Sigma lenses on my short-list for future purposes and wouldn't ever discount them. I'm definitely not a Canon L lens evangelist!

Posted on 3 Oct 2013 02:47:21 BDT
Mike C says:
I owned this lens for a few months and gave it a fair crack of the whip. In the end I returned it mainly because it turned out I'd un-knowingly bought a grey import and couldn't get the free extended 3 year warranty but also because of the softness issue mentioned. Amazon were great by the way and gave a full refund despite it being a third party sale. Used on my 18mp Canon 500D I got at best mixed results - some great, some disappointingly soft; subjectively I felt I got better results from my old 9mp Fuji 9600 bridge though subsequent reviewing has shown that not to be the case; though not to the extent to make me regret returning the Sigma. I'm now considering buying another go anywhere super-zoom bridge with 3 or 4 times the reach (e.g. Fuji HS50 or Canon SX50) and accepting the image quality compromise, then saving towards something like the Canon 17 - 55 for the 500D...

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2014 18:37:58 GMT
PMG says:

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2014 18:55:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Mar 2014 19:15:34 GMT
Ken says:
You're another person who can't read properly, clearly. It is a perfectly good lens but not up to the standard I was looking for hence, yes I was prepared to spend more for a superior product.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (109 customer reviews)

£499.99 £267.30