1.0 out of 5 stars Try another Silverberg first......, 11 July 2013
This review is from: SON OF MAN (Mass Market Paperback)
I think I'm going to upset a number of fans here, but......

What can I say? I have read several books by Silverburg and enjoyed them. But Son of God was just an awful book compared to any other I have read by him.

The 'plot' follows a man called Clay (I assume a modern day reference to Prometheus) who has been catapulted into the future through a time flux. What follows is a very disjointed text that details how Clay meets a number of other 'Sons of Man', other humans further down the evolutionary scale. It sounds like it could be a very interesting novel. Unfortunately it is written in such a way that the short sentences just annoy, the descriptions go on and on, often until you are unsure (or care) what he is actually describing.

I don't know whether Silverberg was experimenting with language when he wrote this book or experimenting with drugs.... but either way, it didn't work. As least not in my case.

I suppose the main aspect of the book I disliked was how nothing was ever really explained. It was just a case of jumping from one creature to another. No depth was ever really given to the storyline. Things just happened.... well.... because they can. It was almost as if Silverberg had thought of several brilliant characters without a story to place them in and just decided to cram them all in together.

On a positive note though some of the descriptions were very vivid, if only there was a plot to back them up.

If this is your first book by the author please check out his other books (Tower of Glass) or you will be missing out on some great SF. If this had been my first book by him then I doubt I would have ever picked up anything by him again, and that would have been a great pity.

I am sure I am missing something with this book, as Amazon.com has lots of 5* reviews, but I can guarantee I will never revisit the book to try and find it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]