4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for people who loved Twilight..., 25 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Host (Hardcover)
OK, I admit it. I am a 33 year old who really should know better than to read books about teenagers falling for vampires. The fact that I read all four of the Twilight series back to back over 3 days is, I'm sure, nothing to be proud of. Quite simply I have been hooked on them, even though they are not the best written novels and at times I could quite happily have bitten Bella myself just to stop her indecisiveness.
I bought The Host afterwards but was delighted it was a completely different novel to the previous 4. Although I found it a little slow going for probably the first third of the book, I was then completely lost in it. A clever idea, protracted at times but still compelling. I must admit being slightly disappointed with the ending though and found myself disliking the main character just because of her final appearance.
So, if you loved Twilight - read it. If you feel too grown up for teenage vampires, read this first then secretly treat yourself to the Twilight quadrilogy (it will be our secret)...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 May 2009 21:06:26 BDT
S. Stringer says:
And I'm a 43 year old who has just spent a lost week doing exactly the same thing. What is it with Twilight? Have to make some serious amends to my neglected husband and children. : )

Posted on 27 May 2009 14:21:45 BDT
pipje says:
I completely aggree with M Baker about the Twilight series - I can better her age - I am 69 years old and loved the books and I also read them back to back and was sorry when I had finished reading them as I looked forward to my reading sessions with them. I now want to see the film.

Posted on 3 Jun 2009 20:05:52 BDT
Don't worry I am 36 and I read them back to back over three days also. My three year old even made himself a pancake/ biscuit mix on his own in the kitchen and I didn't flinch!!! Just about to buy 'the host'. My thirteen year old is now hooked, but I think she is the target audience.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2009 17:37:24 BDT
Yep, I've neglected husband and children too, read the four books back to back and could happily read them again!!! Loved them, just a shame Meyers can't write as fast as we can read lol!!!

Posted on 24 Jun 2009 21:56:20 BDT
C. M. Davis says:
me too! i'm 29 (30 next tuesday. argh!)
completely hooked!!. . . & here i am doing the thing that i absolutely hated other people doing before i read the twilight saga:: talking about it somewhere other that specifically designated twilight areas, lol!! . . . i just finished. about 20 minutes ago, & i find myself wondering what i'm supposed to do now[?] :0/ though the pile of dishes in the kitchen should really be answer. i'm off now instead to locate & read the leaked manuscript 'midnight sun' :0) x

Posted on 29 Jun 2009 15:55:51 BDT
J. TATE says:
How reassuring!!! I am 33 as well and really thought I was going through puberty again the way I have been carrying on with the twilight books....... I have to say I do think I could just carry on reading anything about Edward and Jacob though to be honest, thinking of getting the 'the Host' as I half way through Breaking Dawn and really will not know what else to read after this series..... maybe there is another collection out there similar, fingers crossed :o)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2009 09:40:47 BDT
Moana says:
pipje, the twilight series was recommended to me by a friend in America, she had just read them all, like you she thought she would get the film. Her advice, don't.

Like everyone else I didn't do a lot whilst engrossed in the books. I am 62. In our family I am the only one who's not interested in blood and gore. Recommended these books to my husband, he tried, but gave up. I was secretly pleased as he would have been buried in them for a few days.

Haven't found anything that I want to read since.

Posted on 8 Jul 2009 09:32:12 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Jul 2009 09:33:29 BDT]

Posted on 18 Jul 2009 16:58:35 BDT
I am very happy and proud to join the gang of Twilight lovers. I am 55 and my daughter introduced them to me. I didn't think they would be the sort of books I would enjoy but Boy! was I wrong. I love the romance and am not ashamed to admit being happily in love with Edward who has been around longer than me! Loved the film too! Saw it on DVD - I really was too old to go to the cinema I think. I live in hope that the talented Ms Meyer will release Midnight Sun. The Host is a book which is taking me alot longer to read.

Posted on 1 Aug 2009 17:38:23 BDT
Lizzie says:
Me too !!! i am also a 33 year old who should know better yet managed to read through the twilight series in a few days - the shame !! It's nice to know i'm not alone !! What is it with these books?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (1,030 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £0.01