2.0 out of 5 stars Patronising and failing to be funny, 8 Nov 2009
This review is from: Inside the Music: The Musician's Guide to Composition, Improvisation and the Mechanics of Music (Paperback)
Somewhat disappointing - the sometimes really useful and practical information of this book is hidden in a distracting layer of want-to-be-funny style which doesn't work for me. It is like an elderly man who wants to take you by the hand and walk you round his own museum of the past, with some "jokes" and anecdotes, which are sometimes just alright but sometimes plain boring. It reads not quite like talking to you but like talking at you, and I felt tempted to ask at times: "come one then, what you do want to say? Come to the point!".

The ambitions of the book seem all in low fairly low in terms of what it wants to teach you. Yes, you learn a fair chunk, but there is hardly ant depth to it, and it seems rather schematic at times, rather than encouraging you to develop and enhance your personal style from early on in your journey of music-writing.

Anyway, this book can be an okay supplement to your music library as it is a fairly quick read, but it is nothing to shout and trumpet about, really.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Sep 2010 19:17:50 BDT
Wow you must be sooooo clever then.... maybe this book wasnt designed for you but for someone who want to be lead by the hand thru the subject??

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2010 22:28:27 BDT
Terich says:
No, I am not clever, but the useful information in this book was packaged in a very specific style which could be seen as distracting and irritating; would be interesting to see more reviews on here.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2011 18:09:42 GMT
Monk says:
Having read the book I must say I disagree with some of your review, nevertheless, you have valid points, from your perspective. Perhaps you expected too much, I don't know, but, as I say, I found the info within the book very helpful for my needs. I'm frankly disgusted at the comment from Elsie Finlayson,definitely no need for that kind of input, totally non constructive, in my view, still, takes all sorts I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 17:45:39 GMT
Mike Heron says:
I agree with you. I have another Dave Stewart book which is written in the same style. It's a pity because there is good stuff in it but he seems to feel the need to crack a joke every few lines. I guess he feels the subject matter is a bit dull and needs livening up. I think he's wrong. If you bought the book the chances are you're interested enough in the subject to stay with it without the quips.

Posted on 15 Apr 2013 11:42:25 BDT
Def Jef says:
Having bought, cadged, borrowed and browsed many books on writing music, it has only been Dave Stewart's that I have found engaging enough to return to again and again. I, for one, was delighted when I found his light hearted but heavily informed books and feel a regular need to read passages out to my son, who is reluctantly studying piano and seems to find the narration informative and stimulating too. They are, perhaps, books for those who can't bear strict lessons and prefer to dig for themselves. I certainly function that way.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›