5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now, 19 Feb. 2012
This review is from: 45 (Forty-five) (Kindle Edition)
Andi Ewington [FORTY FIVE] 45 Book review

The first thing I have to say is that I don't read comic books. Although I picked this book up at a comic book store signing with my children. This is not a `comic book'. This book is deep and meaningful, and actually gave me a new way of looking at life-I'm not over exaggerating here.
45 is a collection of short interviews laid out with graphics on the left page and the interview transcript on the right hand spread. The premise is inspirational. Set today in a perfectly recognisable world with one exception. Somewhere along the evolutionary route there became a small chance that any baby born would have a super hero gene. The journalist conducting the interviews has recently found out his wife is expecting their first child and opted not to test for super powers, but has decided to investigate families and individuals living with super powers.
These interviews document the joys, heartaches and problems that any person can identify with. There are trivial issues such as choosing a good hero name, and regular parenting issues about working out what type of education is best for your child. The book manages, in these 45 interviews to cover issues such as love, despair, hope, hopelessness, sexuality, guilt, ego, grief and making hard choices.
Forget the super hero stuff and this book is a great insight into how we all choose to live our lives, look after our loved ones and identify with other people. Add the super abilities and the issues became oddly a little bit easier to identify.
The graphics add to the telling immensely. Each interview has a page of art work accompanying the text by a different artist. Each artist has chosen how to interpret the interview and what styles to use. The designs range from beautiful portraits, to comic style retellings of events described in the interviews and because of the lack of conformity in the art, every piece is new and individual.
I picked this book up with the intention of spending an hour reading the 45 pages and then doing some housework. In reality I spent about 4 hours absorbing the intricate sub plots, drawings and characters, had to call in a takeaway to feed my children and the housework is still undone. 24 hours later I am still thinking about the issues of ethics and life that were portrayed, and have picked up a kindle version as well, as this is one of those books I want to have with me at all times, it has already made its way into my favourite category with a small selection of other treasured, much loved friends, and the hard copy will remain on the shelf by the bed where it always close to hand for those nights where I need something familiar and comfortable when I can't sleep.
I won't give away the details of the stories here, but I cannot recommend this book highly enough. So do yourselves a favour, Amazon it, eBay it, get in touch with the author, but do find yourself a copy, do read it, and do put this book in your life.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]