5.0 out of 5 stars Comes with the crazy cat lady seal of approval!, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gloss Reflective Cat Collar with safety buckle Red (Misc.)
I decided to get collars for my two-year-old cats while I waited for their microchips to be updated. I decided I wanted reflective quick-release collars with a bell, to which I could attach a separate ID tag. After a lot of research (yes, I'm a bit of a crazy cat lady), I selected these collars, which fitted the bill pretty perfectly.

The cats had never worn collars before, so initially they weren't thrilled. I got them on surprisingly easily though. Female cat tried frantically to lick hers off, while male cat's strategy was to try and moonwalk out of his, and when that didn't work, to hide under the coffee table. However, after a short while they had calmed down and got used to them. I distracted them with some treats and supervised them for a while to make sure they were OK and that the collars were fitted correctly before I let them outside.

Female cat has escaped from hers a few times, but each time she's been in the house, so I've been able to put it back on, which she's been very relaxed about compared to the first time! (I've never seen her do it, but I like to think that she bursts out of it like a small, furry Incredible Hulk.) They both go out and about a lot, and they're both still wearing them after two months, so my experience has so far been that they're secure enough, despite the (in my view essential) quick-release function.

The International Cat Care (formerly Feline Advisory Bureau) website currently recommends that owners consider whether their cat really needs a collar, and warns of the potential dangers of collars. Collars with elastic inserts can be dangerous because apparently the cat can put his front leg through it and get stuck, which can cause injury to the cat's 'armpit' area. In my view, there is a lot of good advice on that website in relation to collars, so if you're thinking about getting one for your cat I'd recommend checking it out. After looking at their advice, I decided to go for snap-open collars, which I thought would be safest. Before fitting these, I checked the quick-release functions on both to make sure they would snap open if the cat gets caught.

A cat collar isn't a fashion accessory. That said, these collars look very smart, and all without compromising the safety of my much-loved moggies. If you decide your cat needs to wear a collar, these ones are a good choice in my view. The collars are fairly big, so I think they'd only fit a fully-grown cat. My female cat has hers as tight as it will go, and I can still comfortably get two fingers underneath it.

[Add comment]