3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed after the rave reviews, 30 May 2011
This review is from: SuperTooth Buddy Handsfree Bluetooth Visor Speakerphone Car Kit for Smartphone Devices - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I spent a long time reading the reviews for similar products before finally purchasing the supertooth buddy, which received excellent reviews on amazon. Although the product is OK and does the basics I'd expect, I suspect I could've spent half the money and achieved the same outcomes.
Firstly it wasn't as easy as everyone said to set up and connect it to my HTC wildfire, as it took me a couple of attempts. Secondly the sound quality is OK at slower driving speeds, but not when doing 70mph on the motorway, if you turn the volume up too high the sound becomes distorted. Thirdly it has a constant flashing blue light to show it's "on". This is just above your eye line and noticable when driving at night. Finally, it sometimes takes several minutes to connect when I get into the car, meaning an instant call isn't always possible.
Although I'm being quite negative, the product is fine and does what I want it to, I just feel the extremely positive reviews on this are a bit too generous. My only recommendation would be it isn't suitable for anyone who will be a heavy user.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Sep 2011 22:18:02 BDT
Hi there,

Just read your review after I bought a supertooth buddy. I seem to be getting the same problem with connecting the HTC Wildfire to the buddy.
Could you give me any tips on how you managed to connect the HTC Wildfire to the bluetooth device?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2011 14:29:17 BDT
SussexGuy says:
Hi there, I emailed supertooth regarding not being able to connect my HTC Wildfire, this was their response (Hope it's useful!):

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
With your phone, delete the Buddy in Bluetooth paired devices. Before pairing it again, remove the phone's battery during one minute. Put the battery in again and pair it.

Your Supertooth BUDDY must be in pairing mode before searching from the phone.

1. From OFF, press and hold the On/Off button for 15 secondes until the Bluetooth Indicator turns blinking red/blue. The handsfree kit is now in pairing mode.
2. While the handsfree kit is in pairing mode, access the Bluetooth menu of your phone. Turn on the Bluetooth function and execute a Bluetooth search. (See your phone's manual.)
3. When the phone displays the list of Bluetooth devices, select ST BUDDY.
4. If the phone asks for the password/pin code, enter 0000 and press Ok.
5. The handsfree kit is now ready to use.

Best regards.
SUPERTOOTH

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2011 19:53:28 BDT
J. B. Hartin says:
Thanks so very much for the info as about to buy one of these and use it with my Wildfire ..regards John

Posted on 30 Dec 2011 15:47:37 GMT
Hi just got a supertooth buddy for christmas and cannot get it to connect to my Nokia.
Read your review and will now go home from work and try it again. Thanks Sandra

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2012 21:19:46 GMT
R. Quirke says:
Hi

Just wondering if it worked with your Nokia. I want to bu one for a present

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2012 10:13:44 GMT
SussexGuy says:
Hi, I've never used it on a nokia but it seems to work on most types of phones. I've just switched to an iphone from my HTC and it connected easily to the iphone.

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 12:47:00 GMT
Don't understand this at all. Everything instant and fantastic and I have no argument with sound quality BUT that flashing blue light -oh dear it drives me mad

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2013 10:41:24 GMT
bumblelion says:
I have this problem on my monitor at work..a tiny bit of blu tac has sorted it...!

Posted on 25 Jul 2013 11:54:33 BDT
H. Walker says:
After Purchasing this Supertooth Buddy in 2010, its still going strong 3 years later. The sound quality is fine (even at 70mph on the motorway), but I find that it degrades quickly if my phone is in a trouser pocket etc. If its in my car mount then its perfect (well, as perfect as any bluetooth would be with wind noise on the motorway).

The blue light is THE most annoying thing on the planet at night, but, I try to ignore it which works mostly.

The battery life is its major plus though...its still lasting more than a month on standby even after so long :)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2013 08:43:34 BDT
PUCMAC says:
Just cut a little piece of black tape and stick it on it. No more blue light. Thanks a lot for the reviews.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›