5.0 out of 5 stars I'm (still) Very Happy!!!!, 16 April 2008
This review is from: Canon Pixma MP610 Photo All-in-One (3-in-1) Printer (Colour TFT Screen, Easy Scroll Wheel) (Electronics)
I'm very happy!!!

Over the past few years a lot of printers have passed through our home. Epsons were never very good, nor reliable (in fact I don't know why we bought the second one after the first one had been so dreadful!). More recently we've had a couple of HPs. The first one was brilliant - excellent quality fast prints. But it didn't really like thick card, so eventually it died. Our most recent attempt was another HP, this time an A3 colour inkjet. The print quality was appalling, and at nearly 300 quid I was mightily dischuffed. So, the HP is going to live in the shed, or the attic ... or anywhere far away from me!

The hunt for the perfect printer began yesterday morning! Having finally decided that the HP had to go, and knowing that the mountain of paperwork which had taken over our house wasn't going to scan itself (especially as we don't have a scanner anymore!), an "all-in-one" was the only way to go. Not having a clue where to start looking, the first stop was Tesco's website. I basically just put the all-in-ones in price order, low to high, and started searching the internet for reviews on those models. I nearly managed to convince myself that a couple of them might be okay, even though most of the reviewers said not (I was getting desperate - I'm very impatient!) It certainly looked like you got what you paid for - if you went cheap, you got cheap. If the print quality was good on one, the scanner was rubbish; if the scanner was good on another, the ink consumption was poor. On and on it went until I ended up out of our price range at £140.

That's when I came across this lovely, lovely Canon. Trusted Reviews dot com gave it 9/10 and said it was highly recommended (I think they would have given it 10 stars, but apparently the duplex is very slow!)

So, trusting all previous Amazon reviewers (well, choosing to ignore the bad reviewers!) I am now sitting looking at the said lovely lovely Canon (which luckily wasn't £140!) Everyone else has told you about what it does ... about how quickly it prints lovely quality prints, and how it has Bluetooth, and how it photocopies quickly and easily. So I won't bore you by telling you all this again - it does everything that everyone else has said it does, and probably a lot more besides! I've only had mine our the box less than 6 hours, so there is still a lot of learning to do!

But the scanner ... the scanner has astounded me (I'm easily pleased!). I suppose our old scanner was really cheap and really old and really quite rubbish, so ANYTHING would have been an improvement. But I used my dads expensive Epson scanner the other day (which cost a lot more than this printer did!) and it doesn't even come close to the quality and speed of this scanner.

To conclude ... I suppose an All-in-One Printer shouldn't be able to change your life, but it should be able to make you happy. And I'm very happy!

EDIT: So, it's now the middle of October. I couldn't tell you how many things I've scanned (if it's in my house and will scan, I've scanned it!!), and I have NO idea how many things I've printed ... I've used this printer more than any I have ever owned. And even my husband loves it ... he goes wandering around up hills and mountains a lot, so uses it to print off maps on specialist waterproof inkjet paper - lots and lots of maps. So, today, I FINALLY needed to replace two of the five ink cartridges - Black number 5 and the magenta. So in conclusion, inks may be (relatively) expensive, but boy do they last! I also love that when you open the printer to replace the cartridges (which have a nice glow to them), the ones you need to replace blink their inner glow at you, just to make sure you change the right one ... and so that you can do it in the dark, too, if you feel that way inclined!! :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Aug 2008 16:45:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Aug 2008 16:45:41 BDT
Emily's Mum says:
Great review, very entertaining to read! Hopefully I'll be very very happy too when mine arrives :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2008 18:41:44 BDT
Has it arrived yet? Do you love it????

Probably not many days can go by before I'm compelled to let people how much I love my printer (I know, I'm sad!!). I've done LOADS with it since I posted this review. I've scanned nearly every piece of paper I could lay my hands on around the house (from gas bills to our five year olds drawings) and I'm gradually working my way through every photograph we own. Which is taking a considerable time I have to admit ... but I think it's going to be worth it. I can then upload them to somewhere like Flickr, who for about £12 a year will give you unlimited storage space for your photos. At least I will then be safe in the knowledge that God forbid should anything happen to the originals I have backup copies somewhere outside the house. I'm putting copies on DVDs and sending them to my parents to look after, too. Paranoid? Probably!

One of the things I love about this printer is the CD/DVD printing function. I buy printable DVDs from SVP.co.uk, and the print quality is excellent on them. My only gripe is that you can't print right into the centre of the DVD, but I suppose I can live with that.

Hmmm - anything else? I've had no problems whatsoever printing "custom sized" thick card using the rear feed. In fact out of all the printers I've ever owned (and there's been a few!), this one has been the most true to life at keeping the margins correct when printing to custom sized paper. Often printers still seem to think they know best ... this one actually trusts that it's operator knows what they're doing, which is nice! Except that it does remember to open the front flap for you when you send a document to print ... which is SUCH a nice touch for numpties like me.

Oh - and I'm still on my first set of ink cartridges. Don't quite know how. But shouldn't complain really!

I really hope you love your 610 as much as I do ... I'm still very happy ;-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›