5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning compact camera, 10 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Canon Digital IXUS 970 IS Compact Camera - Silver (10.0 MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch High Resolution PureColor LCD II (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
In search of a good quality replacement for my old Fuji Finepix, I've chosen the Canon IXUS 970 IS, bought from Amazon. As an amateur, my requirements were: good quality camera, light/easy to carry, and simple to use. I haven't been disappointed at all! It takes absolutely beautiful pictures in all conditions. Its image stabiliser allows you to take great photos of fast moving animals, or at concerts or at sporting events.

I'd recommend taking some time reading the booklet to familiarise yourself with all its features, because there are very interesting artistic features should you use the manual controls: panoramic photography, colour/black & white, face recognition, plus excellent close ups (macro) & a stunning quality zoom.

A few comments about the flaws listed in the above reviews:
- the ON/OFF button isn't tricky to use at all. Just press it!
- there is a manual control to stop the flash if needed.
- The ISO can be set manually to maximise quality of night scenes/dark rooms.

DO buy an extra card, as the one provided will only allow to save about 10 pictures. Most camera manufacturers don't provide large storage cards, so Canon isn't different from its competitors on this issue.

I'd also highly recommend buying the case, because it does protect the camera from scratches & damage, plus it's very useful to attach to a belt.

The metallic surface of the camera is very smooth & slippery indeed (especially when it rains), so make sure to tie the strap (included with the camera) securely around your wrist at all times to avoid dropping the camera.

It's an excellent camera for this price range. I'm extremely happy with this item. Thank you Amazon!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jan 2010 13:39:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2010 13:41:33 GMT
Fair comment. I have had mine for over a year. I take it with me most days on walks, but sometimes there isn't the variety to photograph. I had bought it to replace my smaller ixus whose display was in big trouble. I am delighted with its wonderful lens. Canon do seem to put excellent lenses in their digital cameras. As mentioned above, the on/off switch continues to be less of a problem because I occasionally used to switch off instead of pressing the shutter, so a bit of deliberate effort is a good thing. The wrist strap is useful and it is important to attach it, but I tend not to use it. I don't walk about much with it in my hand. I bought the very nice leather case, and immediately realised my mistake. I had no belt to attach it to. So I bought a neck case from Lowepro, with room for spare battery and spare memory card.

Although I rate Fuji film above all others for colour handling, my Canon digital is much better with colour than other digitals. It handles winter landscapes with far more subtlety and nuance than does my daughter's Fuji finepix. I can take the same scene in colour and in black and white and get the beautiful variation of colour, and it has a sepia setting too. I tend to try and master the basics first, then discover the features one by one. The superfine setting for pictures should be set from the beginning, and I try always to avoid flash, so disable it except when I specifically choose to use it. Some stately homes and museums will not allow photographs with flash as the light pollution bleaches colour out of old textiles and even wood. Also paint, so being able to disable flash is very important.
I sometimes use the close up feature as it seems more effective than my binoculars. Being able to picture a shy heron the other side of a lake can be quite an advantage. Medium close up is very useful too, though I have come to it late and use it with discretion. The camera should be a tool and being in the right place is better than all the technology in the world. If you use all the features, you reduce the work you can do with the computer. The trouble with birds is that they often fly in and out of your pictures. This camera makes the most of its ability to stabilise so a picture that another camera would blur is artistically undefined.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2014 13:54:59 BDT
al-gee says:
Re the Canon you mention......which model is it out of interest.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›