1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Apps and Poor Support, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - With Special Offers (Electronics)
I was really excited to get this. I thought it was meant to be the next best thing to an iPad. If that's true then the gap is huge!

First the positives:

It's easy to set up, I got Wi-Fi, and a blue-tooth keyboard, set up really easily. It's fast and slick most of the time. YouTube works really well, and an inexpensive upgrade allows you to download videos to the device for watching off-line.

If you have a problem, you can go to the help options and arrange for someone from the Support Team to phone you. I did this, and was speaking to an adviser in less than 2 minutes.

However, I experienced a number of problems:

The device wouldn't play anything from the BBC video apps, such as iPlayer, because the server didn't realise I was within the UK. I spoke to an adviser who made sure I had applied all the right settings to my device (I had) then said he would seek advice from his colleagues and phone me back "by tomorrow at the latest". That was a week ago and I'm still waiting.

The general quality of apps is poor. Although the Kindle is an Android device, Amazon make it very difficult for you to install Android apps unless you get them from the Amazon App Store. There are ways around this (see numerous videos on YouTube) but all are fiddly (eg installing apps to an Android phone - if you have one - and then copying them over to your Kindle) or risk voiding the Kindle warranty. This means that the vast number of apps available to Android users elsewhere, are mostly inaccessible to the Kindle owner.

It seems that many apps previously available to other Android devices, are now being offered to the Kindle via Amazon, but they show various quirks when installed on the Kindle, as if no effort was made to check their compatibility. I found my Kindle to crash frequently (or I would have to force a restart) and I wonder if this incompatibility is the reason.

I paid for very few apps, not prepared to spend money on apps that may well not work. I'm pleased I did as I note that many reviews for paid apps rate them just as poorly as some of the free ones.

I have an iPhone, so I know how many apps there are for Apple devices, and how good many of them are. The leap to what Apple offer, from what is available on the Kindle, is staggering.

A more minor problem, but annoying nonetheless, is the inability to organise apps on the Kindle. The icons just appear as a long list and there's no way to create subfolders, or groups (I tried various free apps meant to do this but none worked) This is a baffling oversight, how could such a basic feature be missing from the Kindle?

Sorry Amazon, but I'm returning my Kindle to you for a refund. I consider the extra 100 or so for an iPad well worth it.

[Add comment]