2.0 out of 5 stars Review take 2, 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Nokia C3-00 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Dark Grey (Electronics)
Ok so I wrote the last review for this phone in anger admittedly, so now time to give it a fair overview.
The Nokia C3-00 is nokia's attempt at a blackberry like smart phone. After I sold my Iphone as it was unsuitable for my occupation (due to short battery life) I bought this thinking I was onto a winner. I paid £70 for it, which I must say, is cheap for a smartphone (I did have to pay extra £10 for credit but no real issue with that.)

Main pros:
- Battery life is great. The very reason I sold my Iphone was because the battery lasted less than a day, I got up to 5 days out of the C3-00 in which time the phone was used moderately for texting and calling.
- Features. We have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPRS, EDGE and a micro USB port.
- QWERTY keyboard extremely easy to use and a nicer feel than its Blackberry rival.
- Micro SD slot means up to 8gb memory.
- Nokia interface easy to adapt to.

Main cons:
- 2MP camera of a poor quality (Blackberry 8520 also claims to be 2MP but if you get the chance to compare, you will find the Blackberry seems better???)
- Wi-Fi very difficult to use (I only managed to get it working by going in through Ovi mail, selecting Wi-Fi as the connection method and then manually entering a website I wish to visit. No joke, even though Wi-Fi is my pre-set method, it still browses normally on GPRS unless I do the above, which is pretty cumbersome considering I just want to browse.
- Software/firmware issues. My phone randomly received `ghost' messages, which appeared in my inbox and could not be deleted. After a little research, a firmware upgrade promised a `cure' for this issue, not the case, same thing continued to happen intermittently.
- My C3-00 used to randomly jump ahead days on the calendar, advised to update firmware.
- My phone formatted itself, deleting everything I had saved on it and even some of its own standard software (no more calculator or Internet). At this point I was advised to do another firmware update but decided just to buy a different phone as I had lost the will to live (if you read my last review for this, you would have known this)
- Nokia interface. Yes it's a simple, easy to use phone but Nokia have been using the same interface for too long, its starting to show its age.

Strictly as a phone only, it isn't bad: It calls out and texts no problems, Internet use is painfully slow but this is the same with all GPRS phones I have owned. I can't recommend this phone because of the issues I've had. Just to make it clear, when I buy a phone, I don't expect to have to do software updates every other week, it makes for a rather awful customer experience. Overall, this in my opinion, is one the worst handsets I have ever had the misfortune of owning this is based entirely on my awful experience with it but I have two friends who have also had nothing but bother with this handset. This C3 saw me `sack' Nokia as my handset of choice and reluctantly convert to Blackberry. My advice to potential buyers, pay the extra bit cash and get something decent, if you are hell-bent on buying this phone, INSURE IT and remember, it's cheap for a reason!!!

Point of interest: Take a look at Nokia's market share now compared to before Apple, HTC and Blackberry came on the scene. There is a reason people are choosing these brands over Nokia.
If the C3-00 did everything as well as Nokia claimed, it would be a bargain, but it doesn't so...

Overall rating: 34% (There are much better phones out there for the price)
Reliability: 3/10 (you are bound to encounter some problems)

Thanks for reading :-) and before voting, please remember this review was based on MY personal experience with the phone, I'm not a fan basher or employee off any other mobile phone manufacturer.

[Add comment]