3.0 out of 5 stars A letdown., 1 Nov. 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (Xbox 360) - Limited Edition (Video Game)
To start this review, I'd like to say that I play my fair share of games of all genres, but I have been an avid battlefield player since BF1942. I also am a big fan of Call of Duty and honestly hold no grudges between them - in my opinion they are both great games and both have their own fantastic points to them. I have been waiting for battlefield 4 to come out quite eagerly due to the wonderful trailers that have been coming out - but I have not expected too much (and have been given that) as it seemed quite similar to BF3. I had been playing the beta for a short period - but it did get boring quite quickly.

I remember when battlefield 3 came out - it was extremely hyped up, the gameplay was spectacular and new, and most of all the single player campaign was absolutely fantastic. Now, the trailers for battlefield 4 are somewhat deceiving. They are short, snappy and really do highlight the best parts of gameplay. Beyond them, there is not much else to be had, and that is for many reasons.

The frostbite 3 engine is wonderful, but it does not seem as if much has in fact changed from BF3. I have actually finished the single player on both the xbox and the PC, as I have purchased the game for both. Firstly, the PC version of this game looks much much better. I am sure that this is due to the very outdated graphics chips in the xbox, and it honestly feels as if the game is a port from the next-gen consoles. There are numerous graphical glitches on the Xbox 360 version of the game, but the game also freezes and has many bugs too. Much more than on the PC version that's for sure. I am honestly very disappointed in the campaign of he game as I have always loved them in all FPS shooters I play, and I believe that they are a fundamental part of games, but this is just sloppy and unpolished. It is short, and does not incorporate even half of the wonderful features that it could. There are not any very memorable moments from the campaign mode, unlike from battlefield 3 which I can still remember very well- due to the sheer awe and astonishment that a game could produce such things. The subway shootout was phenomenal back then, and while yes during battlefield 4 I did enter a sinking ship for example- but the gameplay is not even the same from the trailers. The whole upper deck part of the trailer where the planes seem to be crashing down infront of you just doesnt happen. I was never really left in admiration of the plot or what happened. Sure, there were some good parts, but nothing particularly GREAT. The same elements from battlefield 3 were just recycled and used again, but the gun feature is pretty cool - you unlock new weapons as you go along the missions and can use them whenever an item box pops up. Many have argued that EA shouldn't have even bothered putting a single player into the game, and I have to agree with them to some extent: However, some people do not agree with me and say that the campaign does not mean much in terms of the game, so I will move to the multiplayer, which again was a complete letdown and waste.

At first you will be impressed with the gameplay and the fun new features such as the falling skyscraper in Shanghai - but this novelty wears off, and it actually starts to become more of a nuisance as it seems like once again you're stuck in the very linear single player that never changes again. It is a spectacle at first, but it gets boring and frankly that's why I put down the beta. Unlike battlefield 3 where you had three different objectives to capture one by one, this is just a hold all locations you can at the same time based game. Capture the flag. EA has taken away one of the best features of the BF3 multiplayer and removed it. The environment is not fully destructible despite claims that it is - the last battlefield game to feature this properly was actually bad company 2 which by far has the best engine in terms of destruction. It seems all EA has done is take away from that wonderful engine and keep the negative parts. Sure; some stuff can be blown to pieces, but other things are solid as rock once again. Gun customizations, tank mods etc are all still there and are fantastic as ever, and actually there is one great thing - in that if you are a beginner to the game, weapons genuinely feel balanced - so the level 30 guy with all the best mods won't actually have that much of an advantage against you, but this also works against itself, as you feel as if you're progressing for what seems to be very minor upgrades.

Honestly, this is just to me, EAs way of squeezing money out of people who want an addon to battlefield 3. The mechanics, gameplay and core of the game just boils down to it once again, and nothing has really been improved on in my opinion. There are the graphical improvements (which are actually very minor on this generation of console) but they only apply to the PC version - I run a new alienware X51, and the details are tremendous. I'm sure that when the ps4/xbox one is released you will see the change, but not on this hardware.

Overall, it is a fun game, but if you've for a next gen console ordered or a PC, stick to that. Otherwise all you're purchasing is battlefield 3: the extended edition with some cool, but trivial new features. It gets boring quickly, and I wonder what EA will do- as they have to do something in order to revive this game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Nov 2013 17:57:36 GMT
john says:
Well I have played through all the battlefield games and, i'm not one that usually writes negative reviews, but battlefield 4 was a pure let down, to kill enemies takes far to much effort, I'm a big vehicle player in battlefield maintaining 6k/d in bf3, however in Battlefield 4 people simply do not die to guns or tanks , it usually takes 2 or 3 shells which is simply unrealistic, secondly infantry, the guns are terrible and the recoil on them are is a joke, However I do suggest to buy the game because the game can be updated.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2013 10:47:17 GMT
Timelord-007 says:
The reviewer is spot on as with so many game of this type on the market it's about making the right purchase.

I like this reviewer's structure & of yet posted positively on his reviews as they deserve merit

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2013 15:38:30 GMT
Firealive says:
I'm glad you enjoyed the review, and thank you very much for the feedback on it. I hope that it is helpful to you/all that read it with regard to purchasing these games or not. I will do more reviews as I continue to receive new games that are coming out. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (247 customer reviews)

£54.99 £14.47