4.0 out of 5 stars For the money, you can't go far wrong, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: LG 42LS570T 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Smart TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
I bought this TV to replace the ageing 32" we had in our bedroom. For 480 I got an LED 42" TV with all the SMART features I could need, which seems like a good deal to me.

Compared to our Panasonic Plasma in the living room, it's a little "lively" with SD content. Whereas the Plasma can make SD channels like "Dave" almost 720p in appearance, the LG is a little harsh. Changing from the "Standard" to "Cinema" screen modes helped, and also reduced the slightly unnatural skin tones. In HD it's a lovely picture, again more so now that we have it on Cinema mode. As far as picture quality goes, you can do a lot worse.

My current reference piece is the lift off chapter from the Apollo 13 Bluray, and the LG really does handle it well. The sound is adequate (think what you'd expect a thin LED could produce and you're on the right lines), and colour reproduction in Cinema mode is good. One thing I wasn't expecting was how the LED image appears more vivid than the plasma. The Plasma is sharp and it looks like a film, whereas this LED adds a "documentary" feel to the image, and you almost feel like you're watching the scene through a window. I guess that's a result of the LED brightness, and again the Cinema mode tones it down. It's a slightly different viewing experience to the Plasma, and actually works well with animated content.

The SMART features feel somewhat bewildering, for instance there's at least 5 ways of streaming film/TV content (LoveFilm, AceTrax, Blinkbox, NetFlix, KnowHow Movies). That's not LG's fault obviously, they just put the apps on that are available. I've not tried the TV apps, such as the games, as again there's so many and I suspect a lot of them are filler. BBC iPlayer works faultlessly, so ignore earlier reviews that brought the rating down. There's no skype, but I don't use it, just bear it in mind.

It works well with my Synology NAS, streaming all the music and videos I have stored (with the exception of ISO images, but not many TVs can play those). The Youtube interface is the new version for 2012, which is a little clunky as you just get the "My Youtube" option and (for example) your favourites can only be played from start to finish, with seemingly no way to select individual clips. If you connect the TV to your Youtube account you can select what you want to watch via your phone, which is slick but seems unnecessarily complex compared to the older, cleaner interface on the Panasonic.

There is also an iPhone app that is one of the best I've ever used, as it works faultlessly and allows full control of the TV. With it there is also no need to buy the additional wand remote, as the app effectively turns your phone into a touchpad for navigating the TV. It also means you don't have to be in the room, which is handy for times like just now, where my kids turned the TV on but don't know how to change the channel, so I changed it from another room for them via my phone!

All in all, it's a lovely little TV and I'm more than happy with it. It's not perfect (very few things are), but for the money you get a good picture, adequate sound and more SMART functions than you'll know what to do with. I'm very fussy and I'm happy with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Sep 2012 09:43:46 BDT
Mike G. says:
If I understand well, it does not perform great with SD channels? Could you elaborate since most channels are not HD.
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2012 21:13:50 BDT
Mr B says:
It handles SD fine, as good as any other LED TV in this price range. Compared to our GT30 plasma it's just a little 'lively' in it's colour handling, but I'm still playing with the settings and the cinema mode does make it better. I'm not quite used to the motion smoothing, which is what makes the picture look more like a documentary, but turning it off makes the motion a little 'rougher'. From talking to owners of other TVs this isn't an issue particular to this set, or even manufacturer, but it's something I'm not used to as our plasma does not do it.

Posted on 14 Sep 2012 22:41:52 BDT
ceperman says:
Good intelligent review. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›