2.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics?, 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys (Audio CD)
I have to say I came late to MCR. I hadn't even heard of them before the Black Parade and it was my daughter who brought them to my attention as she thought I would like the album (the Black Parade). I thought the album was very good indeed. Unlike some bands of this genre who just want to make a noise, shout a lot and say the world is crap, MCR were actually tuneful, with energy and, most importantly, different. I am very sorry to say that with this album MCR have returned to a very raw and simplistic style which makes them sound like so many other bands. This album no longer stands out for me as Black Parade did. So many of the tracks sound the same - where is the variety and creativity of the Black Parade? I appreciate the band have tried to do something different with this album but for me it is a backwards step. If you like your music raw and a bit frenetic then you'll probably like this. if like me you like a bit more sophistication, even in this genre, then you will be disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Feb 2011 11:20:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Feb 2011 11:21:08 GMT
Persepolis says:
I disagree with this review 100%. Here is a man who is clearly a creature of habit, one who expects similarities in everything he does and listens to.
MCR create a great new album, once again redefining their sound, and this man doesn't like it. Everything sounds the same, he says! What a load of rubbish, no track is the same here at all. I cannot even begin to comprehend what "simplistic" means on an album with such fantastic production.
Yes, I will admit it's raw, but the best music is. It grabs your heart and doesn't let you go until the final second of the final track has passed. If you want sophistication, go listen to Coldplay or something manufactured for the dumb masses.

Ignore this guy, and take note of the myriad of 4-5 star ratings instead.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2011 10:32:05 BDT
LadyDamned says:
Panama, I have to disagree with you. MCR was the first rock band I fell in love with, and the albums Three Cheers and Parade are, in my opinion, unbeatable. They are the only albums EVER which I have liked almost every single song on and can listen to over and over again without getting bored. Plus they were original. I mean, how many songs are there like Mama or Cemetary Drive? And the lyrics were amazing. This new album, will still good, is more about the catchy tunes and beat (i.e. Na na na and Planetary(GO!)). Yes, they are becoming more mainstream but it's detrimental to the quality of their music.

Posted on 20 Apr 2011 11:55:36 BDT
fruitloops says:
As ever, MCR cant please the music snobs whatever they do. If you are grumpy and miserable you will hate this album, if you dont have a bug up your ass you will probably love it. Nearly every other band on the planet produces album after album after album that sound virtually identical. MCR are one of the few bands that take risks, and just do what they feel like doing at the time, without really fretting over what the "genre police" will think about it. They dont care if they alienate so-called fans who just latch on to fashion trends to look cool, and i think thats a pretty good attitude to have.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2011 12:09:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2011 12:10:39 BDT
LadyDamned says:
LOL, love you can't come up with a constructive argument to support what you think so you just insult everyone who doesn't agree with you. What a fabulous attitude to have :) Music snob? Please. I love all different genres, I just don't think MCR are improving their music. They are just conforming to something which I don't think suits them. And since when were MCR about fashion trends? Actually, isn't one of their songs about that? 'It's not a fashion statement, it's a deathwish'?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2011 14:42:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2011 16:17:34 BDT
fruitloops says:
I quite clearly said that MCR dont care if they alienate so-called fans who just latch on to fashion trends. Im really not sure how i need to make that any clearer? Is english your first language? If not then i apologise. A so-called fan is a fake fan, who just pretends to be a fan because they think it makes them look cool. The lyrics from the MCR song "Kill all your friends" springs to mind. "I was killing before killing was cool"

I thought it was obvious what i was saying, but apparently not.

And the song is actually called "It's not a fashion statement, it's a f**k**g deathwish" (thanks amazon swear police) but the song title was censored on the cd.

I dont see much point running through every track and giving a review on each one. The album is terrific, if anybody doesnt like it then they obviously were never MCR fans in the first place.

Actually, because i know i will get accused of not giving a proper argument then i will waste my time reviewing every song for the people who are too lazy or poor to just buy the album. Even though this isnt actually the place to post a review...

1 Look Alive, Sunshine. Not really a song, just an intro to the album by the fictional character Dr Deathdefying. But works very well with Na Na Na. 5/5

2 Na Na Na. People who dont actually know all of MCRs songs say this doesnt sound like them, actual fans know that they have released several songs previously that are similar to this. (My Way Home is Through You is probably the best example). Excellent punk song that surely anybody considering buying the album has already heard. 5/5

3 Bulletproof Heart. Quite poppy sounding for MCR, but still with some hidden depth in the lyrics. Very popular with fans, singing along, at concerts. 5/5

4 Sing. Again quite poppy sounding on the surface, but with bite in the lyrics. The video is possibly the best MCR video theyve ever done imo. The chorus, which includes the line "sing it for the world", feels like a real anthem for everybody to unite to. Again very popular for fans to sing along to at concerts. The song was recently covered by the cast of Glee. An alternative version has recently been released with proceeds going to Red Cross to help the relief effort in Japan. 5/5

5 Planetary (GO!) One of the favourite tracks on the album with fans. At concerts it gets everybody on their feet jumping. Slightly odd sounding for MCR, almost like a dance track, but retains the usual MCR swagger. 5/5

6 The Only Hope For Me is You. Probably the most pop-sounding track of the album. But the lyrics make it feel like its the party at the end of the world. Actually, the whole album feels like that really. Yet another song that is very popular with fans at concerts to sing along to. 4/5

7 Jet Star and the Kobra Kid/Traffic Report. Not a song, just a mid-album interlude by "Dr D". But works very well in giving the album structure. 4/5

8 Party Poison. "this aint a party, get off the dance floor" pretty much sums up the whole album. One of the strangest tracks on the album, including a seemingly random japanese person at the start and end. Lots of fun though. 4/5

9 Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back. Very typical of MCR. Includes the lines "we can steal this car, if your folks dont mind" and "this aint a room full of suicide. All the humour and fighting spirit that have been the hallmark of MCR for many many years. 5/5

10 S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W. In reviews by NME and BBC this is called a stadium filler (or words to that effect), yet it is probably the weakest song on the album. Ive seen MCR live 6 times on the current tour, and they havent played this song once. Thats why i pretty much begrudge reviewing every song because its fairly pointless. Even "professional" reviewers dont really know what theyre talking about, nevermind me! An ok song, but pretty dull imo. 3/5

11 Summertime. Very much a summer sounding song. Very mellow. Not the typical MCR song, but surprisingly pleasant to listen to. "you can run away with me, anytime you want" 4/5

12 Destroya. Much heavier than the previous song. Not a big fan of it myself compared to the rest of the album, but its still worth listening to. 3/5

13 The Kids From Yesterday. Feels like a reflective look on life. "you only hear the music when your heart begins to break" Probably more appreciated by older fans than newer ones. 5/5

14 Goodnite, Dr Death. Just a few lines from a departing (for now) Dr Deathdefying followed by the American nation anthem. 3/5

15 Vampire Money. For me one of the best MCR songs of all time. Very punky. Written as an assault against the popularity of the "twilight" movies and culture. Not all that similar to ther rest of the album, except maybe Na Na Na. 5/5

16 We Dont Need Another Song About California. Not actually on the official album, but on the extended album as a bonus track. Definitely a must buy for any MCR fans. It reminds me of Disenchanted, though not sure why. Better than some of the songs that made the album imo. 5/5

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2011 16:15:05 BDT
LadyDamned says:
I don't know why you're under the impression that I would like MCR as a fashion statement. If I was interested in music just to make a certain impression then I wouldn't have a mix CD with MCR, Young Guns and Disney on it. Doesn't really sound all that 'fashionable' to me. If, however, I was concerned about liking MCR just to be 'fashionable' I would be equally impressed with the new album, just because it's them. I can be a fan and at the same time think that this album isn't one of their best. I'm entitled to my own opinion, and just because it doesn't fit in with yours does NOT give you the right to insult me or anyone else who doesn't agree with you. You've said yourself that the new album is different and I just don't like it as much as the older sound. My English is actually very good, thank you so much for asking :) And just so you know, I didn't put the swear word into the song name because I know that younger people could read this, and don't really think it's appropriate.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2011 16:17:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Apr 2011 17:02:12 BDT
R. Braid says:
Wow, H.Thomas your arrogance is staggering. I couldn't care less about a lame, pseudo rock band like MCR, I was just curious to see how their latest was recieved as they don't seem to be half as talked about as they once were and I was hoping they were going away but I feel compelled to defend the previous commenter who you are attempting to bully for having a different opinion to you. Just take pleasure in enjoying their music if that's how you want to spend your time and let others express their own opinions without your completely ott ridicule.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›