5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant router, great bandwidth controls., 2 May 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (Dual Band, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Media/Print Server) (Personal Computers)
This is a review for the TP-Link TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL 2.

Bandwidth control

The main reason I bought this router was because of the bandwidth controls that come with the router. I have Issues with my brother and other siblings hogging all the bandwidth with constant downloading and video streaming, and I had problems with gaming lag and disconnections since I play MMO games that use very little bandwidth - so I thought I would give a new router a go since QoS(Quality of service) settings on my old netgear dual band router was pretty inadequate.
First I had a look for free firmware alternatives (tomato, DD-WRT) that add bandwidth control to cheaper routers, it turns out very few routers support this firmware, and ADSL(for people with BT lines) is only supported with maybe 1 or 2 routers that are hugely expensive anyway.

This router has great bandwidth control. If you add their IP information into the router, or yours, it will allow you to set a certain amount per pc. I have a 3 mb/s connection so I reserve about 300kb/s of the download bandwidth, and 50 kb's upload for myself, and put a limit of 1500 kb/s download on my brothers PC. now he can download comfortably but not hog the bandwidth, and I can play without having to resort to banging on his door begging for him to stop or blocking his connection.
The router also gives you the option to bind an IP address to a devices MAC address, so you can set up bandwidth control without having to bother setting up static IP addresses(which is fairly simple, easy to find out with a google search). this also works with devices like ipads and phones, where you can find out the MAC address through the settings normally. With this I was able to give my mum a good chunk of the bandwidth too so she can watch youtube videos on her ipad without having to moan about people downloading.
The controls also give you an option to prioritize certain traffic - like a PC streaming from NETFLIX, you can set it to 1 in order to give it a higher priority, I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes though.

Signal

Before I was using a netgear dual band 300mb/s router with 5 internal antennas, which gave a nice 4-5bars connection most days. I use a netgear adapter which tells me the mb/s connection of the wireless. with netgear I was getting about 50-100mb/s connection. With This router I now get 243 mb/s, which is a significant improvement. My family members tell me that they also get better signal now than before, going from 2-3 bars to 4-5. I think the difference is mainly because the external antenna are much stronger than the internal ones of the netgear router, and I think that both 2.4ghz and 5ghz travel at 300mb/s makes a difference too.
Since I do online gaming this was pretty important and why I opted for an extra £30 for dual band and I was not disappointed.

Looks
Not the prettiest router in the shop but I don't really care too much as long as it works. I don't think it looks bad either, it has a nice sleek shiny look and the interface on the front is not too difficult to understand. My mum commented that it looks like an alien, but its an alien that gives a nice signal, so like I said i don't mind.

Additional comments
The only gripe I have with this router is that the cables provided are very short. but this is an issue that you can remedy easily by buying longer ones at not a great deal of expense if required.

Gone are all the lag issues. prob THE BEST £70 I ever spent. Have had it for about a month now we no issues at all. If you have a BT line and want bandwidth controls this is the router for you.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]