5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, simply stunning, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: ViewSonic VP2770-LED 27 inch Widescreen HD High Resolution Professional Monitor (Personal Computers)
well after more than a year of considering various 1440 monitors, and other options, I have finally taken the plunge and ordered a vp2770. I came very close to ordering a Dell u2711 a few months ago, but I couldnt help feel it was old tech. I then nearly ordered a Dell u2713hm, but there were so many quality issues it seemed too much risk, despite a very good price. So after much searching I narrowed my choice down to the Viewsonic VP2770 or the dark horse benq bl2711pt, the only two other reasonably priced 1440p monitors not using PWM for brightness control. Both monitors were north of 500 at the time, which I felt was not justifiable, until November when Amazon and other retailers began to sell the vp2770 for as low as 440. So I have bought one from Amazon.

I dont have a colour calibrator, another reason for getting the pre-calibrated vp2770.

My only dissappointment with the VP2770 is a lack of built in speakers, which I quickly rectified with my JBL Creatures. Initially I did a quick evaluation: there was no back light bleed, dead or stuck pixels or any other screen issues. One very minor quibble was that the screen is not quite level, it is about 15mm lower on one side than the other, I think if I loosen off the screws between screen and stand I would be able to adjust this, but I may not be bothered enough to do this.

After a quick play on a few games, I concluded that the monitor is simply stunning. Especially Skyrim as I had already downloaded the official HD pack for this a couple of days ago.

Also browsed some family photos on my hard drive and was very impressed at the life like tones. No apple style oversaturation, very realistic.

I have run some langom checks and adjusted the sharpness to 75%. Brightness lowered to 20%, contrast left at default (75%?). Left it on standard colour for now. Switched to advanced for motion display.

No noticable bias in colour pallet of the screen. Some report blue or red shift, but it seems very neutral to me. I have no calibrator to confirm this. Note that to benefit from the factory calibration you need to swap to the sRGB mode, but for now I am using the standard mode which seems as good for colour as sRGB mode, but also gives you control over brightness and contrast.

Overall the VP2770 is a massive step up from my old and trusty Viewsonic VG2230 TN. Was it worth 460 odd? time will tell, but so far no buyers remorse.

After a couple of weeks fairly solid use with the VP2770 now, it is still quite a change to get use to. The main change is the sheer size of the monitor, having gone from 22 at 16:10 to 27 at 16:9. I don't get that narrow letterbox feeling that I do if I see a 16:9 24 inch display, instead I just feel the monitor has just stretched further to each side. This reflects the fact that the monitor is about an inch higher but about 2-3 inches wider on each side compared to my original 16:10 22" monitor.

The other major change is the clarity and crispness of the display. Essentially the detail of the image exceeds my eyes ability to see it, only if I look from about 10" or closer to the screen do I start to see individual pixels.

The final major change to me is the colour accuracy. My old VG2230 was never very good for colours, it always had a tan tint and significant variations in brightness, contrast and colour with vertical angle. So much so that looking straight on you would see changes around the screen. Of course one gets use to this, but now with the VP2770 such variation is almost eliminated. Colours are even and so is contrast and brightness. Now the only variation is due to ambient light or a small amount of IPS glow. I am still stunned by this display.

Living with the VP2770...

Firstly, as I mentioned, I have put the display back to medium font size, it is a good balance between my eyes and screen 'real estate'. My wife is currently using the default font/icons sizes so I will continue to explore this and may change to the small size.

One of my first actions was to download some 2560x1440 wallpapers, as the standard windows 7 ones are only 1200p and looked blurred. Needless to say the effect was amazing. Since my eyesight is so bad I cannot actually resolve landscapes with my own eyes at the detail I can see now on the wallpapers of landscapes on this monitor, so for me it has extra impact, i.e. to me everything is clearer than in real life (hyperealistic if you will), someone with good eyesight will probably not get this effect.

At work I have a pair of new dell u2412ms and a u2410 so I can draw some comparisons: Firstly the Dells are great, no doubt. And for what I need at work they are excellent. Plus they are excellent value for money, so I fully understand their popularity. At work I use a lot of excel and word type document as well as CAD and CAM (aerospace engineer by profession). The colour on these IPS monitors is clearly better than TN. However I was not sure if the extra resolution on the VP2770 would be advantageous or not before I got it. Well now I have had a chance to use it I can say it really does make a difference. Especially to graphics. If I was editing photos I think the extra resolution would be very beneficial. Likewise the need to display large excel charts would be eased by the combination of resolution and wider screen. My uses at home are more mundane web browsing, and game playing (more on this later) and video watching. With the exception of games the only advantage really is the extra screen real estate. All of the improvements in clarity, colour and sharpness are there, but they aren't needed they are just very, very, very nice. At this point I need to mention that watching videos on this monitor is a real treat. I have watched some HD you tube videos and was amazed. Here the VP2770 provides a 27" at 16:9 screen area with great colour balance, it is excellent, but as I comment below you would get this with a 27" 1080p IPS display for half the cost. Perhaps for this use a 1080P 27" monitor is even better as you have one to one pixel mapping rather than a scaled image on a 1440p. I might seek out some 1440p video to compare, though I expect this will only be computer generated fare rather than true video.

My wife uses the same monitor/PC to run an online business and for her there will be more substantial gains, she edits photos for the web and does web site mods and has to run several applications at once. For her the improved colours, screen width and screen real estate are significant improvements. However she would never have asked for them, or paid for them. For her a u2412m would have been just as good.

So then why did I buy it?

Well for games of course. Even though I only game occasionally, I have built my new PC around the requirement to play games at 2560x1440, so I needed the VP2770 to complete the project. If this monitor lasts 5 years I will be more than satisfied with it as value for money, likewise with the rest of the system.

So how do I rate the monitor for games?...EXCELLENT

I have only had a couple of hours gaming, but it is really very very good. The extra width, improved colours and resolution make for a more immersive and engaging experience. As I mentioned the best so far has been skyrim, one of my favourite games at the moment, the HD resolution pack for this is shown off very nicely on the VP2770. I don't see any lag or streaking etc. Clearly Skyrim is not a shooter, I will be trying those shortly. Probably a 27" 16:9 1080p IPS monitor would have been 80-90% as good as this at half the price, so really I have paid an extra 200+ for the additional resolution. Was it worth it? If money is an issue then I would certainly suggest considering a full HD monitor instead (ideally a 27"), especially as you could have two monitors for the price of the VP2770. I can't have two monitors because I only have a tiny desk in a tiny room (a bigger house is a whole lot more expensive than a monitor after all), and I set out to build a 1440p machine. I think the question of whether it is worth spending the extra money to get the extra pixels is a difficult question to answer definitively as so much depend on circumstance, if you have the money and the GPU then go for it. If however this is not so easy, then I can say that I don't feel you would be missing out so much to stick at 1080p (for gaming and video playback at least).

I will comment more on in a few days when I have had more chance to explore the potential of gaming on the VP2770.

UPDATE

Three months after my purchase I am still really enjoying this monitor. It is great. I have even more monitors at work now as I have a pair of 24" Dell P2412H on a new workstation as well as my original pair of U2412m and single u2410 so I can now compare three generations of Dell LCD monitor with my personal Viewsonic VP2770. All are very nice, IPS technology on all three is a major improvement over the cheaper TN that my old monitors had. Actually I think the Viewsonic uses as slightly different but very similar screen technology PLS. Anyway in practice all four models (VP2770, U2412m, P2412H and U2410) have excellent colours, great uniformity and crystal clear pictures (to a point). However the P2412H screens are only 1080P, which even on a 24" is noticably less clear than the u2412m, though it is subtle. I guess that on a 27" 1080P would be signficantly less clear than a 1440P monitor such as a VP2770. So if you can I would definitely recommend a 1440P screen such as the VP2770 if you want a 27" screen. Another thing I dislike about the P2412H is the 16:9 screen ratio at this diagonal size is too small, it really feels too short compaired to at 24" 16:10. However at 27" diagonal a 16:9 screen is very good, the screen is a nice height and width, I think it may be the perfect form factor for a computer monitor. A cheaper alternative to the VP2770 is the u2412m, which I would recommend as well, it is well made and has a very good picture, and I think the aspect ratio is the best for a 24" screen, better than a 1080p 24" like the P2412H.

The VP2770 is solidly built and performs well, and is now reasonably priced given it specification, so I would certainly recommend it.

I should also mention that the VP2770 comes with all the leads you need. From memory it includes: power lead (UK), dual link DVI, VGA , display port, usb hub up link, audio jack. Note that if you use DVI you should use the included cable as it has the ability to transmit the full 1440P picture whereas most DVI cables are not dual link and therefore cannot exceed 1200P I believe, Displayport does not have this limitation. I chose to use Displayport as it has even higher bandwidth than dual link DVI and is more flexable cable with a less bulky plug. All the cables included are good quality judging by their weight and girth, so I don't think there is any need to rush out for some 'premium' cable. There is also a DVD in the box which has some drivers, but isn't really needed as the monitor was recognised straight away by Windows 7.

One note of caution, be careful when unpacking the screen from it's massive box. There are no hand holds and the screen comes with the upright attached but not the three pronged foot. It is fairly heavy and of course large, but there are no convenient places to hold it without touching the screen. Initially when I lifted it out I thought I had broken off the cable management hooks on the back as I lifted it using the upright that the foot attaches to. However it turned out that these were designed to detach as they are held on with a sticky patch not rigidly attached as I thought. Since there are no hand holds on the screen there is the potential for an unfortunate incident, e.g. dropping it, so be careful.

There are lots of settings in the monitor menu, and as ever the PDF manual does not expain them all that well, but at least you have plenty of controls.

I will update further at a later date.

[Add comment]