5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning picture and Features, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: LG 42LM670T - 42" 3D Full HD LED Television [Electronics] (Electronics)
I just had to put my thoughts down to review this TV, due to it's superb performance and features..and a few niggles it has. I've been adding as I've found things out...good and not so good...Just because I own it I am not biased to tell it as it is
I had made a big mistake several years ago by buying a Samsung Lcd 40" and found so many faults with it after the fact and I was determined not to make the same mistake again...I spent the last 2 months searching and reading reviews and generally finding out about Smart TV's as I could..I looked at every make and model and made comparisons...and this is the one....trust me... it's superb....Not perfect...but you'll be hard pushed to find better.
I found it nigh on impossible to get to see the SD picture before I purchased this set, due to the fact, all the shops and stores run their own HD through it...( which was excellent as expected)..so that was the only aspect I had not seen of the TV and had to take reviewers words for it that it was good....and it was.!!! By the way... when you delve into the menu system deep enough you will find a 'Store Demo' mode...this is to set it up to the max as a selling point...When it arrived I had everything prepared to set it up and it was a breeze..but you do have to be careful making sure the stand is set up correct and screws tightened securely... you don't want this to drop forward.The first thing I did was insert the airial and right away it started going through the set up.. No problem there, and then it was straight to the updates...I had 2...one after the other.. this was Very quick and easy... I did not waste any time adding my other equipment as I wanted to see the picture results for myself..Humax..XBox 360...Lg 3D DVD player and my HD camcorder...HD and SD were outstanding and the Default settings on the TV were spot on...This might not be to Your taste..but don't worry if you experiment and get it wrong... and you will,!!!... there's a reset button to put it all back to factory settings.. there are more settings to shake a stick at....too many to be honest, but don't concern yourself as it will surprise you what the default gives you.. The SD picture was better then I expected giving a life like performance to the actors and action... it even made 25 year old comedies look smooth and refreshed as if they were made only yesterday... Then I switched to HD....WOW... the detail was amazing and way better then anything I've ever seen before... There was a depth to the picture that brought it to life as if you were behind the camera doing the video work..but this might not suit some, and I found out after lots of messing it was the 'Tru Motion'setting causing this affect.You can adjust this to suit... manually or just turn it off...Default is set at 'Smooth'(3) and the other settings are 'Clear' (5)a bit less harsh..,and Off (7) with a manual setting.With manual I set mine to 5 and this for me was just right They call it the judder affect...If you like the default setting it is truly amazing how it smooths out the SD picture,but like I say it makes the actors feel as though they are not part of the picture... Watching a movie is another experience and it left no stone unturned in the detail... The 400hz works wonders with hardly any blurring on motion... I think this is why the detailing is so specific... you see things you never have before...Colours are very accurate and it showed it's ability with BBC's snooker table...absolutely brillaint.!!
Onto the smart part... It was much quicker then I expected it to be... The wand is easy to use and with practice you can type with it quite quickly..I did find that it does not work with BBCi player once activated by the wand...you have to switch to the remote..Strange that.This brings me to one of the niggles...the wand did freeze on me a couple of times,..but this seemed to happen when in internet mode..Not TV mode, but turning the set off and restarting will put things right..Again, this might upset some and feel the need to cry over it..but consider this... it's basically a toned down computer and they can freeze from time to time..I'm sure updates of the future will put these niggles to rest ... Surfing the net was a breeze, even while watching the TV down either one of the two lower corners of the screen... All the apps ...BBCi player, You tube and facebook worked just great... Streaming HD on BBCi player is smooth and very detailed..but you only get out what you put it....and by that I mean a good signal...both Airial and Modem... or by whatever means you get your signal... I read reviews on picture bleed.. poor sound quality etc etc.... Poppy cock.... If they had colour bleed,then maybe the set was faulty or they poked the screen on unwrapping...as to the sound... it can go Very loud especially the BBCi player for some reason, but over all,the sound is more then enough for a stand alone TV, there's a multitude of settings for sound too... I read someone say they had lip sync issues...I can't understand this on the TV itself...but I did experience this when playing my Humax box through it...but there's a menu for lip sync Milli second alteration..adjust this and all will be well...around 160 should do it.
3D.... if there's one thing you should buy this set for is the 3D alone....I can't express strongly enough how good it is..I was blown away by the depth and effect the picture coming out at you feels like... I've been to Disney and Universal and seen some of the best 3D/4D affects on the planet...and for a TV screen this is impressive.. You find yourself reaching out to touch whatever it is being propelled towards you...You know it's not real ,but you just can't help it..I didn't have a 3D dvd but there are lots of freebie ones to stream (you will need good modem speed).. and boy did they deliver .. check out the Music sample even though it's a bit cheesy.. the 3D is outstanding.. You also have the ability to turn ordinary SD/HD into 3D.....(2D To 3D).... and NO..it's not a gimmick...it really does work...It's subtle and set just right for affect..I tried Avatar (2D) turned on the 2D to 3D and it looked fantastic, adding a new dimension into what is already a superb picture in stand alone HD....My intention was not to bother with 3D...but now...I'm converted and will be using it when I can as often as I can...OH...Update...First movie I have just bought in 3D..'Drive angry'....Yet again..WOW.
As I mentioned before, there are more settings to shake a stick at...but only if you want to spend hours of wasteful time..Don't get me wrong.. they DO do things to the set up, but you have to take each step carefully so as not to mess the Default setting, which is well presented.... One thing I liked about this ability though was this.. You can set preferences for each peripheral connected..such as DVD..Camcorder..Games machine.. Satellite etc etc...So this means you can cater for each set up individually and they will kick in as you turn each one on.. This has saved me a lot of headaches when it came to watching a movie on DVD then watching another on my Humax..no more messing with sound, colour, contrast etc..nice touch that.
The set is solid and well built.... the main remote is sturdy,but the wand is a bit flimsy but suffice...You will be using the wand more then the standard remote when surfing the net, especially if you use the Apps,which is why you bought the TV in the first place...Right..??...if not... why buy this set to begin with if your not going to take advantage of all it's features.....I can truly say you won't be disappointed by this set...go treat yourself..
By the way...I did not buy mine from Amazon but from J.L (work it out for yourself)...Why... £50 of Acetrax movies..AND 5 years warranty thrown in by J.L., that alone is worth £245..
I'll probably be adding to this review over the next few weeks/months...but for now.. If your looking for a Superb picture and features then this is the one for you...but it's not for the feint hearted,make sure your capable of knowing technology and being able to use it...or you'll be on here complaining and saying things like ...'it's too difficult to use'... it don't do this' or don't do that...Read the specs at the LG site first, but as I said... you WILL love this set for what it can do and the results it can give...
P.S.... an update already... Just bought Avatar 3D.... incredible... absolutely Incredible.!!!
New Update 12/12/12... Received my Duel play glasses.. and they are great.. Better then expected even though the picture Ratio is slightly squat..it's nothing to shout about.I'm a serious online gamer and also like to play duel screen with friends.. This stops all the cheating and you Both get 2 full screens and for me, no ghosting ( as mentioned by some).. like I said, the only slight issue is the picture ratio, but it does not deter in anyway the fun you will have playing duel screen.. Get the proper LG glasses though, shop around and you will find them at a good price on Amazon.. Worth noting.. Someone said you can make your own ..they are after all two left and two right eye pieces put together...Don't bother..did it and it works to some extent but not like the proper ones,you've been warned.
Another update a week in.... The picture quality has got even better now it's burned in after 2 weeks viewing.. The detail is mind boggling..and I love the fact you can adjust the zoom mode to fill the screen because of those annoying 16/9 formats giving you two black lines top and bottom.. Adjust it correctly and you will only loose a small amount on the sides, and still keep the picture in prospective..Don't you just hate when you go to a friends or relatives house and the faces are like horses...hahaha... I don't have the heart to tell them, it's totally wrong..!!!

19/12/2012...Just attached a mouse and keyboard for typing.. works great..and although the wand with practice is ok...you won't beat a keyboard..You can use the mouse like the wand also which is also useful..Now I can chat online and still watch the box...Love it.!!!.. I noticed a lack of Audio out (red and white) to attach to my Sound surround.. so I used a headphone to phono and this works very well..Before I had to use my Humax (this is attached to everything)to watch and listen, but I do not always want to view from the Humax..the TV has everything....Oh and one more thing...I had an external hard drive (160GB) for back up on my computer and decided to use it for the TV despite the fact I use my Humax...but be warned.. When you format it trough the TV ( you have to do this to use it) you will NOT be able to use it on your computer afterwards..it's a permanent burn in to the TV..The Hard drive also acts as a Pause live TV function.. this is a nice touch also....it works very well and leaves small viewing panels to search what you may want to look back at...Playback from a USB flash drive is ok too giving no slow down or stutters.

20/12.2012... This might be the last update...If you have a tablet ..download the app for the LG TV.. this is a great app...From there you can do everything the remote can but better...and more.. I told you about the keyboard...no need.. the tablet will do the job..making emailing and surfing a doddle..and the touch control is way better then the wand..give it a go...you'll love it..If you have any questions,please ask

[Add comment]