4.0 out of 5 stars Somehow, it works..., 26 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is a strange film. The first time I watched it, after about 20 minutes, I thought I'd made a mistake - it seemed directionless and disjointed. But I stuck with it. At the end, I thought 'I've got to watch that again'.

The second time I watched it, I was engrossed from the beginning. It is a really beautiful film, and so, so sad. It's about four damaged people. It's about delusion and illusion. A girl who is trying to make suicide into an art form, a young man whose fiancée didn't turn up for their marriage, a man looking for his son and mourning the death of his daughter. All these people inhabit a thoroughly mundane London. But the fourth lives in Meanwhile City - where everyone, except him, has a religion and non-believers are hunted by the police. The police look like old-fashioned 'Peelers' with high top-hats and dark glasses. Meanwhile City is very reminiscent of Brazil. But the religions are not fanatical - how about 'The Seventh Day Manicurists' - it's simply that you must have one.

The story cuts from the dark, Gothic Meanwhile City straight to the broad daylight concrete ordinariness of Centre Point - it's really jarring and unwelcome, but slowly the stories start to intertwine, the motives and backgrounds start becoming clearer - and the gradually unfolding tragedy becomes more and more compelling. And the end had me in tears.

It's not a sci-fi film, whatever it may be billed as. It's a story about damaged people trying to make sense of what's happened and is happening to them - it's just extreme.

Honestly, it's a mess of a film but it's somehow beautiful, entrancing too. It stays with you. I've got to watch it again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jun 2009 12:56:50 BDT
Anna says:
Ahhh... do you know, I really wanted to see this, but someone I know said it was anti-Christian so I sort of shied away. Tis not so?

You're SO right about the Final Element diving scene. It's the music - can hear it in my bwain as I write. The way it soars when she does and the way it traipses up and down the scale... wondrousness. Even Chris Tucker isn't annoying! Another ace bit is at Floston Paradise when the aliens try to attack the Diva and Leeloo goes and fights them, and she gets up close to one, grabs his arms and boots him in the face! Best. kick. ever.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2009 14:54:39 BDT
Super Green!

No - this film is not anti-Christian. It's not even anti-religion, really. It is beautiful, though.

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2009 21:43:48 BDT
SAP says:
Delusion and illusion are close to my heart. Good review. I might see if I can get this at my local library...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2009 09:38:42 BDT
Diziet says:
Does your local library have illusory films? Cool!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2009 21:14:14 BDT
SAP says:
My local library is a place that is not to be underestimated (or taken advantage of, as I learned to my cost recently). How art thou, Diziet?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2009 21:23:34 BDT
Diziet says:
All the better to see you here again HR - and a couple of G & Ts. I'm sure you'll be o.k. as long as your librarian isn't an orang-utan. Just don't refer to him a monkey. Also, I'm reading:
Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension
which is wonderful and gives one a whole new perspective (well, 10 actually).

So have you seen this film yet? I've watched it again and love it even more.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2009 21:41:27 BDT
SAP says:
Sounds interesting. But does it make "difficult scientific theories sound accessible" (I think I've misquoted that a little!)? My librarian looks like that man in the Hamlet cigars advert with the comb-over only he's also got yellow, crooked, buck teeth and large c.1985 spectacles.

Alas, I've not seen the film yet. I only came to your review for selfish reasons, viz. I wanted some company... But the film does genuinely sound interesting. My kind of dystopian society thing. I recently bought the original DVD of Mad Max. Is it like Mad Max? No? Oh.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2009 06:15:16 BDT
Diziet says:
Well, if you consider modern day central London has much in common with a dystopian future Australian outback then, yes, I suppose parallels could be drawn. Hummm...yes, I could see that.

Your librarian sounds like someone who probably failed to get a job at Hogwarts and has been taking his revenge on the undeserving General Public ever since. Orangutans make much nicer librarians, esp. if you have the odd banana about your person.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2009 10:00:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jul 2009 10:09:26 BDT
SAP says:
Are there no gangs of Hell's Angels in the film, then?

He also wears brown-and-beige patterned cardigans, though cardigans are back 'in' now so perhaps he's actually super fashionable? I never carry bananas. The problem with eating a banana in public is what to do with the skin. What if you can't find a bin?

I once tried to get an unpaid volunteer job at the library but I wasn't up to it so I left after the first day. My head was swirling like nobody's business and I didn't know if I was coming or going...

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2009 13:56:03 BDT
Diziet says:
With regards to the gangs of Hell's Angels - ummm...only in a metaphorical sense.

Libraries are dangerous places - you know that all the libraries in the universe connect in 'L Space', according to Pratchett. So perhaps you are peculiarly susceptible to 'L Space', in which case, you have my sympathies. Still, being an orangutan does seem like a pretty cool thing to be. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to bananas. You should compost the skins, by the way.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (58 customer reviews)

£15.99 £9.42