4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid headset, 27 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser PC363D Surround Sound Gaming Over-Ear Headset (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sennheiser are known for good quality audio and make some very capable headsets as this one goes to show.

These come very well packaged and the headset itself feels very well built in hand with a lovely braided cable.

My setup: i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz, ASRock Z68 Ex4 mobo, 16gb ram, GTX670 gfx card, soundcard as mentioned and a 256gb ssd.

Sound quality is excellent and I found movies/music and gaming a delight using these. Although I feel the bass isn't as good as perhaps it should be. I use these connected to my creative recon 3d soundcard and the sound is fantastic. I play a variety of games and even in just stereo I was able to pick out positions of sounds in battlefield 3.

Volume control is on the right earcup and sounds are crisp through min-max volumes. I wasn't so keen on this and the amount you can turn is limited so you will have to strike the right default sound level on the pc first.

The microphone is the best I have used to date. Swivel it down to activate and up to turn off/mute. I use a lot of steam chat/in-game chat and team mates have commented since I started using these how clear my voice is.

The xxl earcups fit over my ears very comfortably. After several hours on Starcraft 2 they were still comfy enough to keep on. One thing I did notice though is that although the earcups are open to allow for airflow, my ears/side of head still got a bit clammy as they do with any other headset. The headband is also comfortable courtesy of a padded section.

Now a small problem I encountered was the usb soundcard. I installed the software and connected up the soundcard dongle to the front panel usb port when prompted and reset as directed. I can only describe the next few minutes as panicked. My pc refused to boot. Cleared the cmos, nothing. So I opened up the pc and disconnected the 24 pin power to my mobo and left it a minute or two and on connected up everything booted fine. Whilst I cannot be a hundred percent I can only surmise that the usb channel/front panel cable must have overloaded somehow. A quick trip to the manual recommends these are plugged into a usb port directly off the motherboard such as the rear i/o ones. Now this may be just an oddity with my system so I won't mark it down for this. Connecting them up at the rear was fine and the software works fine albeit all it does is enable a tray option to choose 5.1/7.1 etc which is a virtualisation.

Overall, excluding a few oddities on the volume control, I found both the sound and comfort perfect for everyday gaming with an overall good range. The mic is the best I have used yet.

My only negative is that I think I would prefer the mic mute and volume control inline on the cable instead so my hand stays near the keypad.

I would recommend these as a good set of cans for gaming.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Feb 2013 07:53:57 GMT
SweetPotato says:
Yes, the Sennheiser PC D soundcard uses the USB hub's max current of about .25-.35 amps. A hub is usually used to power two ports, but in some cases, up to four can be connected. If you had another device plugged into another front panel USB port, then the power circuitry almost certainly overloaded. You're lucky the hub's fuse didn't blow, which would mean RMAing the motherboard.
When I use my PC333D soundcard with a cheap HP laptop, I can't use anything in the adjacent USB port because they're connected to the same hub, and the soundcard draws all the power from both the ports.
A few of the newer Gigabyte motherboards use a hub for each individual port, so you don't have to worry about power draw. Other things that draw the full load of a USB hub are tablets and high-powered smartphones. Sometimes a motherboard will have a certain internal USB header marked as a charging header, which provides enough power to allow anything in any front port. I noticed that Gigabyte and sometimes AS Rock use this feature most often.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2013 09:30:52 GMT
Tech 2.0 says:
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have the ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 whihc has 3 internal USB2 headers. I have the front usb port connected to one and nothing connected to the others.

I'm glad I didn't blow the mobo too, as I didnt fancy an impromtu upgrade.

I've had a look at the technical diagram in the manual and I can't see any mention of one being hgiher rated for charging, though I must admit my google fu isn't that good.

Though ASRock did promote this mobo at the time as having good usb charge facillities.

I'm now using a Creative Soundblaster Z soundcard which is fantastic for the money.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›