4.0 out of 5 stars Basically excellent, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
The bottom line is that these are fantastic at noise cancelling but may not be incredible sound quality, but are still worth the money if noise-cancelling is that important to you. In other words, you should only buy these headphones if noise-cancelling is your absolute priority over everything else.

Here are my observations that may be of interest:

* The in-line microphone resides at the "Y" split in the cable, i.e. lower than the Apple headphones microphone which is in-line half way up the right-hand earbud cable. I used to run the headphone cable inside my shirt so it popped out at the neck so it was more subtle (and would still have access to the in-line remote/mic), but doing it this way now means the microphone/remote is under my shirt, no good for calls, changing volume etc without fishing it out from underneath. Might mean I have to keep the headphone cable outside of my clothing dangling. Not ideal, but I will experiment to find what works best.
* Cable is a rather weird black/grey twisting design, and is noticeably thicker than normal headphone cables.
* There is an audible electronic hiss when noise cancelling is enabled. It is quite quiet so is completely unnoticeable when you are out and about listening to music, but in a quiet room it is noticeable. Don't buy these headphones to sit at home on the sofa all day - these are designed for noise-cancelling and that is the scenario in which they excel.
* Audio quality is average when noise-cancelling is not switched on. Should be treated as a backup rather than a normal way of using them.
* They are really comfy! I really like the rubber extensions that fit within your ear; comfy and also secure, even if you yank on them.
* Noise-cancelling is excellent. Works best on constant low-frequency sounds, but I commuted on the tube today in London and wasn't disturbed by ambient noise once - it was fantastic. Just don't expect *silence*.
* The in-line remote is very large and fairly ugly
* The clip that holds the cable to clothing etc easily comes off. I lost mine after abut two weeks. It should really be permanently, or more securely, attached. I emailed Bose and they sent me a replacement free of charge :)
* Wind noise is more noticeable than you'd expect
* On the underground, I occasionally hear a popping sound. I think it is due to air pressure going in and out of tunnels. It is very rare and not something to be bothered by, but thought it worth mentioning.

Overall I'm really pleased with them as I mainly listen to music on the underground/commute and was getting fed up of my Apple earbuds constantly falling out and not really being able to hear the music when they were in anyway.

Highly recommended if you don't mind the price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Nov 2013 19:48:33 GMT
Plex Alex says:
Are you experiencing an audible hissing noise i a quiet room? Could you confirm this for me please, because I'm planning to return the item if it's just my device.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2013 19:01:14 GMT
cdpinker says:
That's normal behaviour for this device. It's just the noise-cancelling doing its stuff. It shouldn't be a problem - why would you use noise cancelling in a quiet room? You can't hear the hiss while music is playing. These headphones are suited for noise cancelling - if you just want some headphones to listen to in a quiet room, there are probably better ones you can get for your money that don't do noise cancelling.

Posted on 14 Dec 2013 19:11:12 GMT
Nathan Moore says:
Hi,

Great Review. Just looking at the photos and i notice a rather large rectangle which sits in between the 3.5mm jack at one end of the cable and the "Y" split. What is this? it looks absolutely huge in the pictures and wondered if it was detachable or what purpose it served.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 00:52:38 GMT
cdpinker says:
That's the box that processes the noise cancelling. It contains the technology that does the noise cancelling and also the battery. You connect the charger to it and it also has the on/off switch. This box is required as usually these components are housed within the headphones, but as these are in-ear, the tech needs to go somewhere else. It is relatively large I suppose, but I quickly got used to it and developed a method of placing it in my pocket alongside my phone that it is connected to.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 11:00:26 GMT
Sam H says:
I'm so glad you mentioned the "tunnel popping" - I had to return mine due to this problem as my rail line has multiple narrow tunnels, and the popping was very loud and uncomfortable. Shame it's not just a faulty pair though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›