2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you're under 5'5", 25 Mar 2010
This review is from: York C202 Cycle (Sports)
I spent an hour putting this bike together - climbed on and could not reach the pedals. At five foot two and a (very important) half inches and with thick soled trainers on I can only just make the pedals go round = by squirming my bum off each side of the seat and pointing my toes. I would not recommend this bike for anyone under 5'5" - aned even then I would think twice or see if you could try it out somewhere. There is a final hole on the stem of the bike post but the post does not go in far enough to utilise it. Very disappointed as the reviews were so good and I was looking forward to using it.

I guess I should comment that my 2 stars is solely because the bike is unusable for me - other than that I do not really see a problem with it - but I wanted to give it a low score to draw people's attention to the size of it.

On the plus easy to put together - I managed on my own with a toddler hindering me at every turn - everything was in the box - but a small box that I am going to have to fit everything back into. It seems very sturdy and looks quite smart and does not seem too too big for a feature laden product. A few scratches here and there which makes me wonder if I'm not the first to have had this one - and which would have annoyed me if I had been keeping it. It has a book rest which I thought was a good idea and an alternative to the tv as entertainment to keep you going! It also has a towel rail which can attach to the back of the seat. Cannot comment on the computer as I did not get as far as turning on the electrics - perhaps that makes it all shrink 3 inches?!?!

Additions to the above review:
My sister in law who is 5'6" could not reach the pedals on this cycle either - though she is longer in the body - which leads me to the following:
Since writing this review I have had contact with York who manufacture this product complaining of it's exclusive nature. They responded to comment that the suitability was not to do with height but with leg length and provided me with the following table as a guide to purchasing York bikes:

CYCLE MAX LEG LENGTH (CM) MIN LEG LENGTH (CM)
C101 90 65
C102 95 70
C201 102 78
C202 102 80
C301 102 70
C302 105 70
the table has pasted slightly off but hopefully you can make sense of it. I would comment though that presuming they are meaning hip to floor - my leg length is a tiny amount under 80cm and I was way off making it go round. Am ordering the C301 and will advise if it works!

Hope this helps.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jun 2010 17:51:33 BDT
like you i am only 5ft 2 inches ,so this review was VERY helpful.I am now considering another make,hopefully one where i can reach the pedals

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2010 21:21:25 BDT
Lilly says:
Thank for posting this chart with required leg lengths for different models. If it is of help to other people, I believe the leg length being referred to is your INNER leg length not the outer leg length from the hip. This could be causing the difficulty for some people. The inner leg length would be from your crotch to the ground, creating the distance from the saddle to the pedal. I hope this helps.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 22:50:38 GMT
Island Girl says:
Thank you for a very helpful post - I am also small, and it hadn't occurred to me this could be a problem!

I agree with Lilly they are probably inside leg measurements - otherwise it's tricky working out where to measure from.

Posted on 5 Mar 2012 11:31:53 GMT
Jimbobber says:
Did anyone buy the C301 after this review? I note that Amazon dont stock it at the moment and that the reviews elsewhere were a bit mixed.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:20:28 GMT
Island Girl says:
I didn't. I bought a Kelly Holmes one from elsewhere. It was great except that the lowest level setting was too difficult for my purposes, so I'm afraid I returned it.
I am actually reasonably fit - play tennis and run, but have an intermittent hip problem, so I wanted something where I could have a fast cadence without having to apply too much pressure on the pedals. Level 1 was like a gentle uphill and I found the bikes at the local gym much easier. I am going to actually try some out before I buy again.

Posted on 11 Oct 2012 09:48:43 BDT
Peace Lily says:
I am 5'4" 74cm inner leg length and am able to use this bike.

Posted on 10 Dec 2012 08:30:22 GMT
D. Iacob says:
Thank you for your review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (213 customer reviews)

Out of stock