ARRAY(0xab5480f0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Good!!, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: JVC HAS4X Xtreme Xplosives On Ear Headphone (Electronics)
As a semi-pro acid-trance/techno and drum & bass DJ and promotor for 20 years, and a total Audiophile, I wasn't expecting too much from these, coz as a rule you do get what you pay for. But sometimes rules are meant to be broken, and these babies SMASH the rule book to bits! They have the same tech specs as Dr Dre's Beats and the shape, size and comfort of the seminal HD 25's by Sennheiser. Having owned a pair of the latter, at 130, I wasn't expecting the HAS4X's to lay at the HD25's feet, let alone stand up to their shoulders! So, in laymans terms, what does all this mean in terms of sound? Alow me to help:

Low-end/Bass: The bass is strong, powerfull and amazingly tight, controlled and damn LOW, with a fast, punchey attack you just would never expect under 100! Add this to the fact that the bass NEVER becomes overpowering or gets in the way of the other frequencies, and the low, and even sub-bass low-end is catered for dynamicaly. Very impressive.

Low-Mid/Mid Range: This is the area that is the hardest for any headphones and speakers to reproduce without making it too weak, which makes it sound hollow, or too strong, which sounds too harsh, bright and down right awefull. These HAS4X's reproduce Mid frequencies with aplomb! Acid sounds are notoriously unforgiving, as they use all frequencies, from bass to treble, but mainly hang in the mid range, so if the mid is off in any way, you just won't get the spikey texture right, and I have to say that my Neurofunk d'n'b collection sounds fantastic through these babies! Guitars are handled with the same fidelity and controll, and again , my metal collection sounds awesome. I'm hearing instruments I never knew were in the song! There's Plenty of body to the sound, while incredibly managing to retain a good amount of transparency! Again, unheard of for under 100!

Treble/High end: The biggest mistake people make when reviewing ear/headphones, is not alowing them to 'run-in' for 24 hours. An engine won't run to it's best ability untill it's warmed up, and the same rule aplies to ALL music equipment! When you first listen to these, you may feel cheated, as although there is treble, it's not the over-bright, 'splashy' treble most people are used too with sub 100 'phones. WAIT!! Keep using them and you will start to realise that actualy, these have fantastic treble controll! They manage to reproduce the exact high end frequencies without adding any artifitial hiss, or splash. What I was Most impressed by was how capable these are at handling 'transients', like cymbal crashes, snare rim-shots and hi-hats etc. transients are the short, sharp, sudden and crisp treble sounds that normally get completely lost in the mix and even when they are present, they tend to sound splashy and loose. The HAS4x's handle transients astoundingly well! cymbals, rim-shots, snare drums and even triangles and tamborines can be heard CLEARLY in busy tracks, without being overpowering, and are sharp, controlled and have good attack.

What else can I add? The stereo soundstage is nigh-on perfect with an almost seamless blend throughout the frequencies, and even though these are not 'bright' sounding, don't mistake that for sounding muffled, as they are very open and airy. I really can't fault these headphones, as they sound as good as most in the 100-150 bracket. they are also SOLIDLY built, with a rugid feel and thick, shielded OFC cable that has nice thick rubber protection at all joints and terminals, as well as a gold jack plug for a quality connection to your Mp3 player, stereo amp etc. And they are really comfortable (and I've got a large size head!). I was even able to jump about and dance without them even moving, let alone falling off. I love these, and am SOOOoo glad I got them. I hope you are too, as they are destined to be a much talked about contender, and in my opinion, VICTOR, to Dr Dre's Beats! They look kick ass too, which is always a bonus. 10/10 from me :-D Hope this has helped. Going back to listen to my zen now through my lovely new HAS4X's to enjoy more quality sounds again ;-) 'Thagoatboy' B. Waters

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Nov 2011 12:09:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Nov 2011 12:29:23 GMT
#UPDATE!# I've been using these almost non stop for 2 and a half days now, and I have to say, the sound just gets better and better! Head/earphones have always had to live up to extreme expectations from me, but I have to say, these headphones really do deliver an expansive, open and airy treble that is both dynamic and controlled. As I mentioned in my initial review, these not only handle transients well, they do so effortlessly, in due partly to the fact they are very easy to drive, needing not much power to deliver a full sound. Also, they really do reproduce a complete 'picture' in terms of blending the whole sound spectrum, without either the bass, mid or treble taking over or standing out over the others. What I can now also add is that the HAS4X's are extremely MUSICAL! Now, to alot of people, this may seem a stupid comment, but to those who are audiophiles, DJ's or just know about these things, most bottom end and even mid range audio equipment isn't always what you would call musical, I.E. a surround sound amp may be awesome with movies, but awefull with music. The same can be said for speakers, head and earphones. Thankfully, these really are very musical, and deliver groove in spades. I still can't get over how low the bass goes on these! And best of all, as well as being extremely rare, they reproduce ultra low end frequencies at the same sound level as normal bass AND low-mid to upper-mid frequencies. This really is a big deal, especially with any bass heavy music, as all to often, the ultra low notes are so quiet as to be almost non existent, while the mid notes are really loud. Thankfully, and trully amazingly, the HAS4X's play ALL low end and mid notes clearly, and most importantly, TUNEFULLY, so you can actually hear the note that's being played, instead of just some obscure and unidentifiable low end rumble that is muddy and loose. They also cancel-out background noise, pretty much to the same degree as in-ear earphones, which is impresive to say the least. some may find they may have to position the ear cups a certain way to get the full sound, but having to slightly move them forward or backwards upon fist putting them on is hardly a hardship, as you expect it with 'on-ear' models, but these really do pay dividends. I'm still profoundly astonished at JVC's technical accomplishments with the HAS4X's sound, design and comfort, and for under 100, they are a true bargain. Seeing as they are retailing for under 22 here on amazon, they are a complete steal! I really can't recomend these headphones enough. Please, if you are thinking of buying them, DO IT, as you WILL NOT be dissapointed, and if you are, then I'll eat my pair! Without a doubt, for me, at 20 these are the Headphone story and bargain of the year. Thank you JVC, and Amazon for bringing them into my life. I've actually been listening to my entire back catalogue on my Creative Zen all over again, as Im now hearing instruments and harmonies i had never heard before. JVC HAS4X. Buy 'em, Hear 'em, Feel 'em, LOVE 'em ;-]

Posted on 24 Jan 2012 14:18:22 GMT
yass i ordered these yesterday and the have been dispatched today cant wait for the meaty tunes to bless my ears

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2012 19:20:35 GMT
Honour Turk says:
this comment/review seems like it was written by one of the paid professional reviewers.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2012 20:21:50 GMT
Bless you! I can assure you it wasn't. I WISH i got paid every time i leave an honest review of the items or services i purchase, but i'm afraid i'm just another joe blogs, adding my two penneth, but i appreciate the compliment :-) Regards, Ben.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2012 13:29:05 GMT
Good for you, and I sincerely hope you love them as much as i do :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2012 15:31:14 BDT
Thanks, mate - you've persuaded me to order some from here just this morning. I got the earphones from this range last week and am very impressed with those so far, so I am more than happy to purchase something else from the range (and am probably going to get the over-ear model, tool at some stage).

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 11:14:40 BDT
Obisearch says:
top class review. Ppl like you that gets us sheep looking outside the box.

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 18:01:21 BDT
I just wanted to let you know that I plan to buy these headphones purely on your review. I read the whole thing lol. I hope they are as amazing as you claim.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 10:48:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 May 2012 10:57:38 BDT
Mr. P. Dore says:
Birthday voucher! Should I buy a book or some replacement headphones, my son has lost his and so borrowed my budget JVC in ear set, I think they're called 'jellies' they were an airport emergency purchase after a rant and a sulk, the typical holiday panic having forgotten my standard Zune earphones. This was maybe three years ago. Surprisingly these little 'butes' delivered far better sounds than the Zune 'in ears', I kept that quiet for a while determined to prolong the sulk. Now I have seemingly lost them, he even makes me feel awkward when I want to use them, (my earphones) and he isn't at all motivated to purchase himself some new ones, testimony to how good they are. (He is a `bedroom' musician/composers and has stacks of pro kit).
Why this little family tale? Well partly to convey that I am impressed with JVC's success with the 'jellies' product. They have been absolutely battered in use but no signs of wear and tear or degradation of function. Such things as this and at the price usually fall to the typical trick of in-built obsolescence, not these! Another big tick for JVC. Anyway my birthday voucher? I am supposed to buy a book but I tentatively peeped at the earphones, I have read many reviews and whisked them by still held to the eventual return to the book realm. Then I copped for your in depth (way above my technical understanding) appraisal which has so captured me I am now not only freed from the original book purpose but tethered with immense compulsion to experience these JVC HAS4X's. It is now an essential purchase. Credit of course goes to JVC but you really deserve a commission, or at least a thank you from JVC, like an all expenses trip to Japan to tour the factory that would be a bit of a treat wouldn't it? If they read this and come up with the goods, a little advice, don't forget to pack the headphones. HAS4X's, of course. Thanks man! Phil Dore.

Posted on 1 May 2012 11:19:14 BDT
Mr. P. Dore says:
This is worryingly fickle after my praise for your review and JVC but...Sennheiser HD202? Why did I look? Now I'm stuck.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (175 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 33.82