5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value for Money!, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Office 365 University, Licence Card, 1 User, 2 Computers, 4 Years (PC/Mac) (License)
I was originally going to buy this product direct from Microsoft but then I noticed Amazon sell it cheaper!

Even at Microsoft's price (£59.99) though this is still a bargain. It gives you all the Office products for 4 years, meaning you'll get the next version for no extra cost if it is released within that time. Office 365 is normally £79.99 per year or £7.99 per month so this is a great offer for students and teachers. The normal version does allow installation on 5 computers though whereas this only allows 2, but this is perfect for me as I can install it on my home desktop and laptop I take to uni.

If you were to buy the standard edition of Microsoft Office 2013, where you just pay once rather than paying for a subscription, it would cost £109.99 excluding Outlook, Publisher and Access or £389.99 if you want those aswell, so this is fantastic value. Please don't buy this if you are not a student or teacher though, as you do have to prove your eligibility by logging into your institution website, instructions are provided on how to do this.

In terms of the software itself, I like it, it is quite different to the previous version so be prepared for a little bit of a learning curve, but I do think it is a good piece of software overall.

One final point, you will not receive a disk, all that you receive with this is instructions and the product key, you have to download the software online, so don't buy this if you haven't got internet access. Once installed though, you can use it offline but won't receive updates and won't be able to download new design templates. Microsoft must be saving a lot of money by not having to provide disks.

So, overall, great product at a great price, recommended for any student!

Edit: I had originally thought when I wrote this review that you would be able to keep the software after 4 years but would stop receiving updates so would have an old version after that time. I now believe that is not the case and in fact you cannot use the software at all after 4 years. I do still believe though that this is an excellent product and good value for money as a standard subscription would cost a lot more over the same period. To further clarify my point, this is a quote from Microsoft's website - "As the expiration date approaches, you will receive notifications in the Office applications and via email, alerting you to the upcoming expiration. Once your Office 365 subscription expires, the Office software applications enter read-only reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print documents, but you will not be able to create new documents or edit existing documents.
To return to full Office functionality, you can purchase a new subscription or one PC another version of Office, from Office.com or any participating retailer. You could also return to using an older version of Office, or use the free Office Web Apps on SkyDrive for basic editing."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jun 2013 13:03:15 BDT
KEVIN CLARKE says:
I am thinking of buying this product, so any update please?

Posted on 16 Jul 2013 15:28:03 BDT
Alex says:
What is the process of verifying your HE status like?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2013 15:48:36 BDT
Hi

Never had to verify it before so don't know what's involved

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2013 20:42:17 BDT
You have to go on the Microsoft Office website, create an account with them and register your office key, then tell them which education institution you go to, it then sends you off to your uni/college website to sign in using your student account details you have with them. You go here then it is all explained - https://academic.getmicrosoftkey.com/

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2013 09:31:28 BDT
Thnx

Posted on 29 Aug 2013 08:35:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Aug 2013 08:36:10 BDT
gigi says:
MS are very coy about the annual costs after the 4yr period. If you have to pay £80/year to continue using the product after graduation then personally I think that the MS office home and student at £109 is a lot cheaper in the long run.
Plus it will work anywhere in the world.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2013 22:36:31 BDT
I take your point, but personally I see it like this - If I buy Home and Student now I've just got the one version, with Office 365 I get the latest version that comes out within 4 years, so it could be that a newer version will come out in that time, with home and student I'd have to buy it again but with 365 you download it and then after the 4 years you get to keep it, you just don't get the updates after that time unless you reactivate your subscription. I'm don't need it to work anywhere else in the world so that doesn't concern me, but I'm 99% sure the software would work, you just wouldn't get the updates.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2013 18:31:08 BDT
gigi says:
I also wouldn't mind if the software is guaranteed to carry on working, without updates. However I have reason to doubt this : I emailed SoftwareForStudents to ask them what the charges would be after 4 yrs. This is what they replied "Microsoft office 365 university is £58.95 for the 4 years. It is a one off payment. After the 4 years, the software will expire. If you are still a student you can buy it again if you wish."
Worrying.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2013 09:08:53 BDT
KEVIN CLARKE says:
Don't think you need to be worried, the way I read this is that MS wants you to buy more software after 4 years so they don't want to publicise that their product would carry on working free-of-charge!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2013 10:08:44 BDT
I've looked into this further and must offer you an apology, your suspicions are correct and I was wrong. On the Microsoft Office 365 website hidden in the FAqs it says "As the expiration date approaches, you will receive notifications in the Office applications and via email, alerting you to the upcoming expiration. Once your Office 365 subscription expires, the Office software applications enter read-only reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print documents, but you will not be able to create new documents or edit existing documents.

This means you can still use the software to read documents but won't be able to make new documents. For me I'm still happy with my decision as I still think it's a really good price for students and I know if will work for 4 years, plus I needed Publisher which I don't believe is included in Home & Student. The price after that time would be £80/yr as you said, I think after that time I'll probably just buy the standard software as a one-off purchase.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›