5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Fair Cop (Paperback)
I wanted to review this book for two reasons; first, because I felt a great deal of empathy with the author since over 45 years ago, as a young constable I too found myself in the dock, falsely accused of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. I had arrested a man who had assaulted another officer and during the violent struggle which ensued, the man’s thumb was broken. The fact that the case was chucked out was due to (a) two other officers were with me and we all gave a truthful account of what happened, (b) the whole incident was witnessed by a member of the public who was able to corroborate our story and (c) the arrested person gave a false name, refused to have his fingerprints taken and a gutless sergeant let him get away with it and bailed him. It transpired that he had previously escaped from prison and at the time of his arrest, he was on bail for other serious offences and the magistrate had no hesitation in convicting him and freeing me.

But that’s the luck of the draw; I got very little backing from my contemporaries who saw this as an ideal opportunity to either gloat over my predicament or treat me as a social pariah. However, I knew I was innocent, just as Michael Bunting knows he was. Unlike Mr. Bunting, I was able to get on with my career in the Metropolitan Police and make a success of it. Consequently, I have very strong feelings about police officers who are crooked and also those who are wrongly accused and unjustly convicted.

I didn’t expect this book to be so well written; but it is, very much so. I’ve known several police officers who were sent to prison but they – quite understandably, perhaps – were not forthcoming about their experiences. It took a great deal of courage for Michael Bunting to commit his very raw emotions to paper.

The book makes reference to this case being referred to the Criminal Cases Review Commission. Has it been successful? I hope so; seldom have I heard about so blatant a miscarriage of justice.

You must forgive me for banging on about my own experiences; I did so to show the reviewers the very thin line between innocence and guilt, commendation and condemnation.

I can say without hesitation that this is an enthralling book and I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in British justice; whether it is correctly administered or not.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Mar 2014 06:59:51 GMT
Wasson says:

No it wasn't successful. The conviction was upheld. Seeing as it was another police officer who ensured Bunting didn't get away with it (who has gone onto have a successful career) it is obvious Bunting was 100% guilty.

We're just lucky it was another police officer who had the courage to testify against Bunting. If it had been anyone else he would've no doubt got away with it. She put her career on the line for the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2014 11:06:06 GMT
I said there were two reasons for me wanting to review this book; I gave the first but not the second. In fact, the second reason was to draw you out, Wasson from whom we've heard far too little lately and of course you came right up to my expectations.

You were right when you said Michael Bunting's appeal with the CCRC had failed; but since then, further evidence, previously undisclosed by the prosecution, has come to light and this is now being reviewed by the CCRC. In the event that the appeal is successful and Mr. Bunting's conviction is overturned, I can see choppy seas ahead for one or two people who insisted upon his guilt.

Be that as it may, it is your repeated comments which have made this book a success. They have brought about so much discussion on the Amazon website that I believe that this has become a major selling point for the book - it did in my case - and therefore, you have materially contributed to the royalties (and revenue from the Public Lending Right, whenever copies of this book are borrowed from public libraries) which are now lining Mr. Bunting's pockets.

Wasson, you're a chum - keep the comments coming!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2014 18:44:05 GMT
Wasson says:
May I be the first to congratulate you on your cunning plan to "draw me out" Richard. Funnily enough replying to someones post does tend to result in this.

Comments like yours make me wonder at the courage it took for the policewoman concerned to stand up and actually make a statement against Bunting. The sneering hatred she must have had from the likes of you and your colleagues must have been tremendous. After all she had broken the sacred police Hillsborough/Lawrence/Tomlinson code - "see nothing, hear nothing, say nothing" if it concerns another police officer.

It really wouldn't matter to you if Bunting had given the man concerned a kicking would it? If you'd have caught Bunting putting the boots to the drunk fellow prone at his feet you'd have had a big sloppy grin on your face and chuckled about it with Mike all the way back to the station wouldn't you? Be honest.

The policewoman concerned must be one in several million to have done what she did.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 11:51:29 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 30 Aug 2014 07:40:36 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (58 customer reviews)

£7.99 £6.39