5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome !, 8 July 2011
This review is from: LG 37LV550T 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz LED Smart Internet TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
I am a 65 year old non-techy who wanted to upgrade my sit-up-and-beg old tv +Sky Freeview/dish, but how very confusing it is with so much choice available and jargon. I was going for a Panasonic plasma but couldn't find a 37" to inspect, and I have heard mixed reports, so after much research I finally settled on this non-reviewed LG model. I'm glad I did.
I summarise my opinion as follows:

*First, an excellent service as usual from Amazon.
*I wanted an up-to-date model incorporating 37" screen, 100MH, LED, Freeview HD. Many that you see are `old' models; this one is May 2011. Always look for the date in Amazon's description.
* Taking it out the box, this is certainly the slimmest TV I have ever seen, and very smart. The solid base is easily attached by 6 small screws.
*I panicked that there was no scart socket but an adaptor is included. The sockets are upwards or sideways fitting so there is minimal affect on the slim profile. Panic no. 2 was when the screen brightness started to fade of its own accord as the outside light faded in the evening but I discovered this auto feature can be switched off (much better).
*The self-tuning started straightaway and soon brought in 80+ Freeview channels and 24 radio stations.
*The HD channels are fine but I really can't see a huge difference between this and SD. I gather that many so-called HD channels don't always broadcast in HD. The advantage varies slightly from channel to channel.
* Most importantly, I cannot fault the picture or sound quality. Awesome. I cannot see any indication of the ripple/blurring of outlines, especially in fast moving scenes, that was a problem with earlier models. I was also relieved that channel-changing is quite quick without that irritating 3-4 second wait. I have slight high frequency deafness but with this tv I don't seem to need the volume up in the way that I did with the old set.
* I was pleased to learn that I could separately plug in my Sky box via the scart adaptor so now, if I want, I can easily switch between Sky Freeview and the built in Freeview. This gives me as many channels as I want without monthly outlay.
* The manual is ultra thin too, and perhaps not very comprehensive, but there are 2 CDs which I have not yet played.
* The remote control is well set out and I have just about got the hang of it.
* A word of caution: have you noticed how the salerooms seem to be pushing larger and larger screens? I was going to go for a 42" but now I am glad I did not. I have an 18'x12' living room and even this 37" tends to dominate the corner and risks being too `in your face'. If in doubt, make a cardboard template and judge for yourself. I am also glad I did not mount over the fireplace since I think that viewing on eye-level is much preferable. Otherwise it would certainly be very slim for wall-mounting.
* As I say, I am not a techy and have not yet got to grips with all the additional SMART features etc of this incredible tv, but it looks as if I must now buy a dongle and experiment with the help of my much more technology-intuitive grandson !
* One phones to register the free 1 year guarantee and I got the hard sale to extend this for monthly payments totalling £120. I declined, but it's a gamble isn't it, and if anything goes wrong I doubt if there's anyone around who can cheaply repair these tvs.

Basically, I am very very satisfied and I can think of no negative aspects to report. Maybe the cost seems a little high but not really for this spec. and for an up-to-date model. I won't miss 3D, simply can't see this catching on because you feel detached from your surroundings and having to buy all those sets of spare glasses and buying batteries for them ...ugh....no thanks! I'll wait for projected hologram tv (if I live long enough!)

I hope this helps others who feel at risk of being lost in the maze of telly-choice!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jul 2011 18:01:01 BDT
K-Man says:
Hi,
Can I ask whether you have any further comments on this TV? I'm trying to decide between this and Samsung and Sony
Does it have a web browser and can you use it?
Any gripes about the Remote Control?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2011 13:50:37 BDT
Hi K-Man,
I can only say that I am still very pleased wih this model. Perhaps I should modify by saying that there is a short pause when changing channels but nothing too irksome. Have not explored whether/how it can be used with a PC as I don't really intend for this purpose. The Remote Control seems very straightforward; it has a button to illuminate the keys in the dark - very natty and useful !

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 08:16:54 GMT
I have recently bought this 37in tv and the picture and sound are excellent. Do not buy the dongle, as the wireless connection is flakey. I have installed an ethernet link from my Virgin router from an upstairs bedroom to my lounge, which was a bit of a faff, but solves the problem. The dongle might be OK if the router was downstairs, but saying that, my laptop connects wirelessly perfectly anywhere in the house. The browser is pretty poor for Youtube, but downloading Mediaplex on the laptop, which is then accessible by the tv helps enormously. However, the storing of favourite pages doesn't seem to work at all, which is a big nuisance.

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 20:23:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2011 20:23:40 GMT
Bright Lanka says:
REVIEW IS FOR 37 INCH TV BUT UNDER 47 INCH TV

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 09:42:37 GMT
So what? Everything is the same apart from the screen size,mate!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2011 02:01:28 GMT
Av Freeman says:
get the LG LW55042', it has everything that the samsung and sony has. My mate just bought the samsumg, is it the ud8000, but says he prefers the the picture on my LG(42LH9000LED TV) The price for the LG is brilliant. andy

Posted on 14 Apr 2012 19:33:59 BDT
I have just bought the 32LV550 - A few points to add to the good review above :
1) Panic'd when I the short stem connecting the base to the TV seemed off centre & very very stiff - dont panic - once the weight of the flat screen is placed on the stem - it eased and swivled as you expect
2) there is a smartphone app which you can get free (mine is the iphone) works - I dont know why but the app sometimes doesnt recognise the TV unless you reload the internet connection on the TV which takes a few sec - the app allows you to point & click, change volume, channels - BUT no QWERTY keyboard which would make searching items on the smart TV inbuilt apps like iplayer, you tube a lot quicker - not sure I need the dongle
3) there are apps which are preloaded which are useful - BBC iplayer is the major useful one for me, youtube - no Channel 4oD or itv player yet
‹ Previous 1 Next ›