3.0 out of 5 stars Some drop-offs you should be aware of., 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: TOMTOM GO 400 EU (Electronics)
I upgraded from a Tomtom one and at first was quite pleased. The Go 400 locks up very quickly and works with a much poorer signal than my other GPS devices.

Inputting information is easy, for example Albert Hall London or Saracens Head Southwell will come up with your destination without any more detail.

The biggest disappointments have been:

No A to B planning. I still struggle to understand how a device can be marketed without this. (Now sorted - see comments)

No maps of America. I assumed I could add these as I needed them, but few world maps outside Europe are available.

The mount does not come off if you want to use the Go 400 outside the car. Also, if your windscreen is far from your seat or if you want to mount on air vents, you will have to use a really clumsy extender. Earlier models had far better mounts. (Update - It does come off, but no easy , neat alternative. See comments)

I'm sure I was told this had voice operation by the shop assistant. Sadly, it does not.

One of the main reasons I bought this was that it came with lifetime maps and lifetime traffic if used with a smart phone. I was anxious about the map updates as I have read many reviews of other models that have stopped working when an upgrade attempt was made. My Go 400 updated happily, albeit needing a huge chunk of data.
The big let down is that this model only works with a few of the newest smart phones. My Blackberry bold that worked happily with the Tomtom One will not work with the Go 400. On further investigation, only the Blackberry 10 seems to do so.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Oct 2013 14:02:21 BDT
Hi Bigfeller, thank you for the review of the GO 400. I am glad to hear that you have found most of the aspects of the device to your liking.
Regarding the points you were unhappy with:
The A to B planning that you mentioned has now been implemented in a recent software update which can be downloaded free of charge through the MyTomTom support application.
The mount does actually come off the device. There is a pad that you press in along the lower edge of the back of the GO 400, holding this down releases the mount which can then be slid out of the device casing.
The GO 400/500/600 and 5000/6000 devices do not support Voice Activation, they do not have a microphone built in to them so this will never be possible on these devices.
Maps for other countries will be released in the future, but regrettably, at this time they are not currently available.
The number of phones which can be linked to the new devices is limited mainly by the requirement for the latest Personal Area Network capability that the GO 400 uses to receive the Traffic Service information. This capability is only supported on the latest phones, running the most up to date operating software versions.
Because, as you said, these devices do not support hands free calling there is no reason to BlueTooth link any older phones to these TomToms.
Should you have any other questions about your device, I recommend contacting our support staff through one of the channels listed in the link below:

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 11:15:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Nov 2013 19:04:51 GMT
Bigfeller says:
I am pleased to find that the mount removes easily and was encouraged that A to B planning has arrived - until I tried to update. A couple of hours were wasted. Each attempt ended in failure with the download counting down to 1 hr 47 mins and stopping with 0% downloaded. I tried emptying the cache to no avail.

The fact that these units do not support hands free does not mean there is no reason to BlueTooth link to older phones. There is every reason if this is the only way to connect to Traffic services. After today's frustration, I think three stars may have been too generous.

Update: Out of desperation, I rang the support line and was astonished to get some real help from someone friendly and clearly intelligible. It turns out I already had the update that allows A to B planning, but its implementation is so clumsy that I had no way of knowing. The gent on the support line was unaware the Go400 had this update and had to look it up.

In the map view, tap and hold, or otherwise use menu search function. Tap on the three vertical dots. Select "Use as starting point", then select destination as usual. When finished, clear route to go back to using current location as starting point.

I was told that the freeze during map update was because I hadn't set mapshare on my device. I selected "send information" in settings / system and set "corrections checked by TomTom or another user. I then tried again - for ages - on my Macbook. It looked promising, but I ended up with a slowly rotating circle. I tried on Windows 7 for a bit and gave up. I later tried on the Mac again and after an age it finally updated.

More disappointments:

I don't see a compass icon to display heading.

The clock is often wrong and can't be set manually as far as I can see.

The direction instruction comes up over the picture of the road ahead and this seems to offer less of a clue of the coming corners than my TomTom One. On the One, particularly at night I find the display useful for warning of upcoming bends. The Go 400 doesn't give me as much warning in navigating mode.

After a few weeks with this device, I am more and more disappointed. It is obvious that TomTom have invested huge time and resources updating these devices and much of it is worse than the earlier offering.

Posted on 6 Nov 2013 08:58:21 GMT
Hi Bigfeller, wanted to share the latest update we released for our GO devices.
UPDATE 13.030

I am happy to announce that as of today, the latest Navcore Version 13.030 will be offered for download in MyDrive.

This update comes with the following changes:

* My Routes
We have added My Routes to the GO. You can use My Routes to save, retrieve, edit and delete routes, including itineraries with multiple stops.

* Reorder stops (itinerary planning)
When you have planned a route with multiple stops, you can now adjust the order of the stops.

* Drive to a route
When you have planned a route from a starting point that is not your current location, you can now drive to the start of that route. SelectDrive via here, to plan a route from your current location to the starting point of the route, and start following the route.

* Navigate to latitude longitude coordinates
In the search box, you can now enter a specific set of latitude longitude coordinates.

* Warning sounds when speeding
You can now both see a visual warning and hear a warning sound when speeding.

0-5 km/h too fast: the speed panel turns orange.
> 5 km/h too fast: the speed panel turns red.

Now you can also choose to hear a warning sound when speeding:

> 5 km/h too fast: you hear three beeps.

The warning sound can be turned on and off in the Main Menu.

* Time-dependent speed limits
We now offer time-dependent speed limits in the following European countries: Germany, Poland, Sweden and the Netherlands (requires map version 9.20 or higher, which will be released in the near future).

If you are driving in these countries, the speed limit in the speed panel changes depending on the time of day.

Other bug fixes and improvements

* Improved route re-calculation
We have optimised the re-calculation of routes

Posted on 27 Jun 2014 13:57:06 BDT
Update: 06-27-14: Version 13.057

We are happy to announce our latest software update V. 13.057. Please connect your devices to MyDrive to get the latest features which include:
- Alternative route planning
After planning your route, select it to get a pop up menu button; open the menu and select Alternative route, then find Alternative route.
- Accent Colours
You can now customize the display of your device with different colour schemes.
- New map colours
You can change to new map colours with better contrast.
- Share changes to the map.
It is now possible to share changes to the map with the TomTom Map Share community.
You can read more on these and other changes here: http://bit.ly/VtrbFW.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›