5.0 out of 5 stars Free books for Kindle: The secrets of how to get the world's greatest books for a radical price [Kindle Edition], 26 Dec 2010
This review is from: Free books for Kindle: The secrets of how to get the world's greatest books for a radical price (Kindle Edition)
Got my Kindle for Christmas. This book is of more value than the product guide. Great website recommendations and advice on transferring books from PC to KIndle etc.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jan 2011 09:59:34 GMT
K. Denver says:
I want to read this before buying a Kindle. Can I read it without one?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2011 12:32:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2011 12:34:35 GMT
Chris Graham says:
If you download a free Kindle application for your computer, phone or iPod/iPad - you can try out the book without buying a Kindle. Copy and paste the link below into your browser for information and to download a Kindle application.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2011 19:53:07 GMT
K. Denver says:
Thanks, I have done that and it was really useful. Have now downloaded and read your guide and it really is a mine of information that would take a lot of time to gather by googling (as someone sugggested)!
I am dithering over whether to get the basic WiFi or the 3G model. I am worried that I won't be able to get the WiFi one to work on our home network as we nearly always have to get technical help when we change or add a computer. Also the tech guy said something about adding a password to our network and I don't know what it was.
The 3G one worries me because we live out in the sticks, so probably wouldn't get coverage. I can't seem to discover whether, having bought the WiFi model you can upgrade later (ie via software) to make it a 3G model, or are you stuck with it.
If I go for the 3G model and can't get a signal can I still link it into our wireless network? Effectively down-grade!
I don't think Amazon really looks after (information-wise) the totally non-techy people like me. This is a gadget yes, but people who read books are not always gadget-minded people.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2011 18:47:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2011 18:54:36 GMT
Chris Graham says:
Thank you very much for your kind comments about the guide.

Unfortunately you can't upgrade a wifi only Kindle to 3G later.

The 3G one can also connect to a wifi network. But you would need to find out what the password is for your wifi network is though as this needs to inputted into your Kindle for it to connect to your home network. The tech guy who set up the network should have a copy of it somewhere.

The Kindle's 3G coverage is pretty good but there are definitely a few dead spots in the country (I occasionally hit them when travelling cross country by train). There is a coverage map you can check here:
This is linked from the Kindle 3G product page if you'd prefer to access it via an Amazon link:
Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology Scroll down to the section headed "Get books in as little as 60 seconds" and click on the wireless coverage map.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›