4.0 out of 5 stars Capable but way over-priced, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Jawbone JamBox Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Black Diamond (Electronics)
I have had the Jambox for about three weeks now and am very pleased with it.

It is solidly built. The casing is rigid and the rubber (?) slabs on top and bottom of the unit and the aluminium grille give a quality feel to the unit.

Pairing with other devices is easy and I have no problems with interference from any source.

Sound? This is a very small speaker and, make no mistake, it will not fill anything but the smallest bathroom. In fact, that's just what I bought it for: my bathroom. For that, it's ideal. It runs for days on it's internal battery and, placed on the window shelf in a recess delivers beautiful, neutral music and voice from my wireless network (I use it to stream Internet radio from the BBC iPlayer mainly and it sounds great here) but place it in the lounge and the sound is simply lost. There is no appreciable bass and the sound is just too "lightweight".

I will continue to very much enjoy this speaker in my very small bathroom, but caution anyone who believes the Jambox hype that this unit is capable of filling a room with any sort of useable sound.

A good speaker, no doubt, but stupidly over-priced. If it was £100 that would be justified.

************UPDATE*************

I've been using my Jambox daily for nearly six months and whilst I was initially very disappointed with the quality of sound it produces (especially given the very high cost of the unit) and still stand by my original comments I have been using it wired for the last couple of months ie: connecting to my iPhone via the supplied headphone lead. This makes a massive difference to the quality of the sound it produces: much richer and more powerful with a really nice bass response. Since using the headphone cable improves the sound so much I now never use it without, and love listening to it.

That said, I wont increase my original three star rating, because it is still way too expensive for what it does and to have to use the headphone lead to get decent sound out it when this is sold primarily as a bluetooth wireless speaker is just not right!

*********UPDATE*******************

Two software updates later (I'm now running 2.2) this speaker has really come alive. I no longer need to use the headphone cable because the new software delivers great sound via Bluetooth. Music has bass at last and the spoken word is so much clearer. Now, I really love my Jambox!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]