4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound - amazing noise-cancelling, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Bose ® QuietComfort ® 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones (Discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I expected excellent audio quality from the Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones, as I already have (and love) my Bose dock and my (first generation) Bose Wave Cd / radio. I'm always tempted to get a new DAB Wave when the brochures pop through the letterbox, but I can't justify the expense!

The Bose QuietComfort 20i headphones sound amazing. They are by far the best in-ear headphones I have ever used. The sound is powerful, with a great bass response and no distortion even when the volume is pumped up.

The audio sounds at it's best when switching the power on in the module, which sits a couple of inches above the jack that attaches to your music source. This module amplifies the audio, and it has to be heard to appreciate the difference it makes to the sound.

The module does give rise to the only negative for me (which is why the review loses one star). The placement of the module feels wrong - it sits too close to the jack, so whenever I'm using my iphone or when I'm travelling, it gets in the way of whatever I am doing, and feels obtrusive. When sitting still, it's fine, but as I use the headphones mostly with my iPhone when on the move, this is a real issue for me. Before purchasing, have a look at the pictures so you can decide for yourself whether this will be an issue for you.

The controls are easy to use - answering calls, pausing music, skipping tracks and adjusting volume is simple with the in-line controls that are situated just below where the cable splits in two.

As well as the top-notch sound, the other positive is the noise-cancelling aspect of the Bose 20i's. Switching to noise-cancelling really does remove the outside ambient noise. I'm currently using the 20i's with a loud cooling fan in the room (the review was written during the 2013 July heatwave) and I cannot hear the fan or any outside noise. This is not the case with other noise-cancelling headphones I have used.

Switching on the 'aware mode' is done via the in-line controls, and lets ambient noise into the headphones so you can be more aware of your surroundings (useful when travelling for example). But most of the time, I will be using the noise-cancelling setting which really lets you immerse yourself in the music, away from the distractions of the outside world. There is nothing more satisfying than enjoying your favourite music with no external influences.

The ear-buds are comfortable, and dont have to be pushed deep into your ear canal like some in -ear headphones. The ear-buds come in three different sizes, but make sure you try all three to find the correct fit for your ears, or they will not sit comfortably. Changing the buds is easy.

So if you are a fan of Bose's sound quality (clearly I am!) I think you will love listening to your music through the powerful Bose QuietComfort 20i's, and the amazing noise-cancelling is another positive of these quality headphones. It's just a shame about the placement of the module being too close to the jack. Otherwise this would have been a five-star review and a near perfect product.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Sep 2013 19:08:32 BDT
A. K. Thomas says:
Hi Tony, thanks for the very good review and also for the module placement. I am interested in these and have a pair of the Bose on ear noise cancelling headphones for a few years and love them. I will go to the Bose shop in Westfield Stratford and see how they fit with me so to speak. Have you tried "Together We`re Stranger" or "Schoolyard Ghosts" yet and if so what do you think of the sound?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2013 19:46:39 GMT
Plex Alex says:
Hi, my QC20 is just under testing and it looks like doing slightly better the noise cancellation than the QC15 especially when someone is speaking in the background. However, the white noise is significantly much higher than in the QC15. The hissing noise is audible and disturbing in quiet environment. Maybe my headphone is defected? Are you experiencing an audible hissing noise as well? Could you confirm this for me please, because I'm planning to return the item if it's just my device.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›