5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant "classical" rock music, 8 Jan 2009
This review is from: Renaissance (Audio CD)
The first album from Renaissance, before they transmuted into a soft-rock AOR band, was composed and played by former members of the Yardbirds and is a fantastic mix of classical piano music with what later came to be known as "prog rock" (once Keith Emerson got hold of it and gave it a bad name).

(NOTE: the other members of the Yardbirds formed some minor league band called 'Led something...' and faded into obscurity - or maybe not!)

This was my first introduction to the glories of classical piano, and the tunes from this first album have haunted me ever since the early '70s.
Fabulous vocals from Jane Relf, brilliant keyboards from John Hawken and delicious bubbling bass lines from Louis Cennamo.

A very successful mix of Classical themes and Rock music - at least on this first album. There was a second one (Illusion) which appears to be more a collection of half-rehearsed demos and outtakes. I thoroughly recommend the first album.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Nov 2009 06:47:16 GMT
Sorry, but the notion that Annie Haslam's Renaissance was (is) a soft-rock AOR band, is way off the mark! The first version was a good band, the second greatly expanded the band's scope, often gloriously so.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2009 21:37:06 GMT
Um... it is interesting to see how one's attitude to a band depends on when one first heard it. I listened to the first Renaissance album as soon as it came out (in my school study around 1832 [?]). And so that is the sound I expect of Renaissance, and I found the second version not to my taste [and I stand by my AOR label].
I have had a similar conversation with another gentleman regarding my feelings that early Jethro Tull (This Was, Stand Up, Benefit) is far superior to the (no doubt technically better recorded) later works such as "A" and "Under Wraps".
And in discussions with one of the young "whipper-snappers" who work for me, we discover that although we both have a predeliction for the works of the Pink Floyd, I find myself enamoured of the early works (PATGOD to Atom Heart Mother), whilst he considers Animals to be their peak.
So, I am happy for you to believe that the later Renaissance somehow trancends the early ex-Yardbirds combo - but I am unable to agree with you.
Each to his own, as my Mother would say, as the old lady kissed the cow.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)

Reviewer