5.0 out of 5 stars My first tablet, 2 Jan. 2013
I need to come clean. Before I bought the Nexus 7, I had never owned either a tablet or an Android phone. I'd never downloaded an app in my life. My main reason for getting a tablet was I kept writing notes on paper in meetings and then losing them, or I went to meetings and found I didn't have the documents I needed because I hadn't printed them off. So I decided this Christmas to buy myself a tablet.

I compared the Kindle Fire(HD), the Ipad mini and the Nexus 7. Having looked at a lot of reviews, I came to the stunning conclusion that there isn't much between them. They all have lots of storage, fast processors, great screen resolution and are about the same size and weight. I went for the Nexus 7 because it was cheaper than the Ipad and had access to the Google Playstore which meant access to loads of apps (including the Kindle one for purchasing and reading books.)

Some people- perhaps working for Amazon- have said you need to be techy to use a Nexus 7. Well, I'm not and so far I have found it really easy to use. All my MS office and PDF files work on there. Dropbox was the first app I downloaded and I keep all my work files on there, so wherever I am I've got them.

Two things have surprised me. Firstly,how many great apps there are. I love "Flipboard" which creates a daily magazine for me of all the stuff I am interested in. I also loved "podkicker" which collects all the bits of radio I like for me to listen to at my convenience. Google calendar is a great way to organise your life, and if like me you have young kids, then there are tonnes of free games. My boys are enjoying Temple Run and Cartoon Wars. I found Speedball Evolution 2 for me, which is exactly like it was back on the Atari ST back in the day.

Secondly, two weeks in, it has surprised me how much I do on this tablet. My home laptop is gathering dust. I type at work, but at home or on the road, I just want to have access to documents and have a bit of fun. The Nexus 7 does everything I bought it to do and a whole lot more besides.

Update: Nearly 8 months on this might be the best £200 I ever spent. I bought a bluetooth speaker and now have access to my favourite music via the Amazon music player wherever I go. I have bought a car charger and have installed the M8 free satnav. I have the kindle and nook apps and read for work and leisure. I subscribe to a couple of blogs and read the Bible daily on it using a reading plan. I bought a cheap android phone, and tether it to the Nexus if I have no access to Wifi. They work together like Batman and Robin. This is a superb tablet and I have no regrets purchasing it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Aug 2013 08:23:42 BDT
mike allaway says:
Really informative and useful review. Many thanks.

Posted on 25 Aug 2013 11:59:00 BDT
Thanx very helpful !!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2013 06:31:32 BDT
JohnB says:
Very inspirational! I am a bit of a geek but my wife as a similar background to you and has recently bought her own. She is finding her own uses from it and it is rapidly becoming an indispensable part of her life and when I showed your review found it encouraging. Thanks to the vast variety of Apps it is potentially a different machine to every user. Incidentally, t is possible that you may find the Faithlife app of use also.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2013 10:42:38 BDT
I'll check the Faithlife app out! Thanks for the recommendation and the feedback

Posted on 17 Nov 2013 09:04:11 GMT
palagianello says:
Hi Neil thanks for the review looking forward to lunch tomorrow!!

Posted on 30 Nov 2013 23:04:53 GMT
evangel1991 says:
Fantastic to know there's people out there using the 'Bible Daily Reading Plan' on this great little tablet. Thanks for that 'Toddie' - perhaps more folks might give it a try and brighten up all our lives a bit more for humanity's sake. Oh, and the Nexus sounds great too!

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 13:18:24 GMT
I bought this on the strength of your review. Thank you.

Posted on 7 Mar 2014 08:36:09 GMT
Viv says:
Thank you so much for a great review. I have a Nexus 7 myself but am constantly being asked about it and it's uses, so I refer to your review again and again. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›