5.0 out of 5 stars More excellent Liberty City fun from Rockstar games., 22 April 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Excellent, excellent, excellent. That's the personal review over.

Two games both with different stories based in the same city as GTAIV and there's nothing bad about that.
Graphically its the same as GTAIV - excellent. Maybe somebody has experienced this little nag I have. I have quite a high end machine and it handled GTAIV without a hitch but in this game when I am on water or near water the frame rate drops a little. Not a problem just thought I would throw it out and see if anybody else has had this problem.
Sound is fantastic, every detail of the city life is alive.
Now to the games.

Ballad of Gay Tony...by far the better game. Excellent story line with good characters. Remember in GTAIV there was Ricky Gervais in the comedy club? Now we have Omid Jhalili doing the voice for one of the main characters Yusif. Funny stuff.

The Lost and Damned...good game but not in the class of Gay Tony.

Both stories tie in nicely with the GTAIV story. Nico and Roman make a couple of appearances and Brucie returns with his older bully brother. Luis (main character in Gay Tony) ribs him a lot about his size and over-tanned body. "Shut up you orange imp". There is a mission with Brucie and his brother towards the end of the Gay Tony game. There is an excellent racing game where you sky dive then get in a boat and finally race to the finish in a car.

What's new? New games include arm wrestling, cards and cage fighting. A few new weapons appear which are very good. Some new cars are included and unlike in GTAIV where you have to wait a few missions to get your hands on a decent fast car, they are available almost from the beginning. The 'check point' system is a huge relief. In GTAIV some missions required you to drive across the entire city to get to the mission and if you failed you would have to start all over again - another long drive. In these two games if you fail a mission it takes you back to the start of the mission action (you don't have to drive all over again). After completing missions you can replay them for better results by accessing them from your phone.

All in all for £15 you can't go wrong. One good game and one great game. GTAIV fans will love it.

Update - My brother a 'console is King' person had only played this game on the Xbox because he said keyboard and mouse was too much hassle. I bought an Xbox controller for PC (also works on Xbox) from Amazon plugged it into my PC, instantly recognised and installed without drivers, loaded this game and my brother was in heaven. He had Xbox controls on a PC game which graphically blows the Xbox out of the water.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 May 2010 21:21:53 BDT
Yeah the game is good, but the awful (truly, truly awful) helicopter controls on Ballad Of Gay Tony is almost enough to spoil the entire experience. Honestly, it is the worst control scheme I've come across in over 25 years of gaming.

Abysmal.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2010 15:31:37 BDT
I agree the controls for helicopter are difficult. I configured my controls like this W,A,S,D are for up, down, rotate left and rotate right. Arrow keys are for up=pitch forward, down=pitch back, left=pitch left and right=pitch right. All this is good until you get into a helicopter gunship where you have rockets and machine guns. Not possible to have 3 hands because shooting is mapped to mouse. What I did was map the shooting buttons to numpad 0 and numpad 1. This way while I am controlling the chopper with my right hand I can reach over with my little finger to the shoot buttons. Not easy, takes some getting used to but I agree it is difficult.
ANother option I considered was buying a gamepad controller. They are cheap on Amazon, £8 the cheapest, and are USB plug n play. Took me ages to complete the missions with gunships but I eventually did it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2010 20:22:24 BDT
I gave up with the keyboard and used a 360 controller to complete the heli missions. Fair play to Rockstar, you've just got to plug the controller into your desktop and it recognises the configeration straight away. Nice touch.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 11:08:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jan 2012 11:09:39 GMT
SBno1 says:
I don't have GTA4 yet, but I do have SA. I had an old PS2 controller for which I bought a small adapter for £3 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZBL7YS) plugged it in and away to go. Took a while to get the key mapping the way I liked, but it did the job. I just couldn't play the game on the keyboard. Helicopter flight becomes so much easier to the point where I am in a constant low flight scaring the hell out of pedestrians :D

EDIT: and I just realised how old this thread is LOL
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (34 customer reviews)

£24.99 £10.00