5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing mouse!, 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black (Accessory)
I first bought this mouse about 3 years ago now, and have been looking to 'upgrade' to the '5000' which Microsoft say is connected wirelessly via bluetooth but for some reason folks are selling what looks like a 4000 with a nano transceiver as a 5000! So I thought I'm not going to buy something to receive something completely different and would buy another trusty 4000 again. Imagine my shock then at seeing these reviews on here for the over heating nano's! I have never had any problem with my nano. I did used to take it out of my laptop and store it in my mouse all of the time, however I didn't keep that up and eventually just left it connected to the laptop. It has never heated up or overheated at all! The 2 laptops it has been connected to have but not the transceiver! It protrudes approx 1cm from the port on your laptop so does catch or get caught on things but I've never had a problem with that.

I have size 7 hands (glove size) and the mouse fits neatly in my hand, with the rear of the mouse in the middle of my palm and my fingers on the buttons.

The 'extra' side button does take some getting used to but after a while it doesn't feel that awkward anymore and it's really convenient to have a pre-programmed 'back' button, rather than keep moving the pointer up to the corner of the screen. I know it's only a small movement but once you've got used to it, it really does make a difference. I would have liked to have had a forward button too on the other side, but hey you can't have everything can you! You can also change the side button to something else, whatever takes your fancy, in fact you can program all of the buttons to whatever you like.

I agree with the other reviewers that it was a bit disconcerting at first not to have a scroll wheel that 'clicked' as you moved it but it is a lovely smooth action and can move down your pages ever so fast if you'd give it the chance to. Admittedly though, fine tuning can be a bit of a problem if you're impatient with it as I was at the start. I still am sometimes, but I'm not so bad now.

I use the mouse in both hands, mainly my left but sometimes my right. It is easy to change it to left or right handed and the buttons are very receptive to the touch, although sometimes a little too receptive to my right hand as I find it has clicked on things I didn't want but that is down to me not using the correct hand. I tend to hold my fingers above the buttons on my right hand rather than resting lightly on the buttons as with my left!

It is not a 'mini' mouse, it is a reasonable size mouse. It doesn't weigh a vast amount but is not too heavy without being too light.

The bluetrack technology works on most surfaces, it works on clothing, sheets, table tops (not glass though) and other items. The only thing I've really had a problem with is paper! yes paper! If you have a pile of paper neatly stacked then you'll probably be ok, but if it moves about then the bluetrack technology won't work properly. It can't read off of the paper if it's not fixed in place. If you are using an A5 notepad you'll probably get the same result, an intermittent pointer, but use an A4 notepad and you'll be fine so long as you're in the middle. I hope I've explained that clearly! If you have loose clothing on then you'll also probably get the same intermittent result, but use it on a sheet that fixed in place and it's fine, use it on jeans that are heavy enough not to move about when you move the mouse and it'll be fine. I hope you understand what I mean. I have never found it to be a problem, irritating yes, because when I'm in the middle of something the mouse pointer doesn't go where I want it to because the surface I've got the mouse on is moving beneath it, all because I've got used to not having to use a mouse pad etc.

The battery does last a long time, although when I have been browsing the internet or just using the laptop for days on end I've found that the battery probably only lasts about 3-4 months. I've used both rechargeable and disposable batteries and got the same results.

It may be a little different from the mouse you are used to but go on give it a try, you never know you may get to like it if you give it the chance it deserves! All in all, I would definitely recommend this mouse to anyone looking to upgrade their mouse.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]