5.0 out of 5 stars 49 Valuable Techniques Described and Portrayed, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College (Paperback)
"The end of a thing is better than its beginning;" -- Ecclesiastes 7:8 (NKJV)

Imagine if a new teacher could grasp the most sophisticated methods of those who are masters of helping youngsters succeed. Wouldn't that be great? Instead of having lots of youngsters discouraged, misbehaving, and dropping out, every student could be engaged. What a delight for everyone!

Not realizing that this book is aimed at K-12 teachers, I ordered the book hoping to gain some insights into how I could improve as an adult education instructor. Like many such people, I have never taken an education course and never expected to have a classroom to lead. Although parts of what is described aren't appropriate for adults, I was impressed to see how many of the techniques would allow me to accomplish more, the students to be more engaged, and more learning to take place. I dearly wish I had read this book ten years ago!

If you know a young teacher (or an older one who wants to improve), this book would make a great gift. With it, a teacher can check her or his methods to see how they stack up with other ways to accomplish the same or similar tasks. The DVD is a great blessing for turning the concepts into live examples. I don't know of another book that provides so much hands-on, best practice advice for the kinds of challenges that all classroom teachers encounter.

I liked the book so much that I intend to use it as a model for some of my future books for instructing people in advanced practices of all sorts. Don't miss it!

Doug Lemov has a nice style of explaining how a technique can go wrong . . . as well as explaining how to make it go right. I was impressed by that because I have seen many of these techniques misused over the years, which made me reluctant to use some techniques. Now that I know how to overcome the problems that I have observed, I can see many ways to get more done and keep more engagement by the students.

I particularly liked the idea of being sure that students are instructed and drilled on how to do things before expecting them to accomplish results. Nice!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]