5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Surprise, 1 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I was advised by a relative to go and see this film last October. I'd seen the trailer for it on TV and I didn't think a great deal of it. A sort of comedy scifi flick. I'd hadn't heard of Firefly, just that Serenity was a film version of that show.
Only once before have I gone into a cinema expecting so little, only to come out wanting to go see it again. Infact I did, 2 more times that month.
I feel this film was wrongly promoted right from the off. Comedy SciFi flick it most certainly is not. Don't get me wrong, it does have some very funny moments plus some very poignant ones too. It certainly moves along at a fair pace, has a great deal of breath taking action scenes and very nice special effects for a film I understand was made on a modest budget. But most of all it's a very deep and thoughtful piece of film making.
Not long afterwards I purchased the Firefly DVD box set and what a great series this is. How this could have been cancelled is completely beyond me, it's nothing short of criminal. Needless to say, it completed quite a few of the links in Serenity which weren't covered.
I've read most of the reviews here and I heartily agree with almost all of them. There are some very shallow and overly negative reviews of Serenity here too, but the contradictions, vocabulary and difficulty in following the story speak volumes. This is not a film for children. This is grown up, intelligent and thought provoking science fiction that's right up there with the best of them.
If you're wanting vacuous, simplistic blasting action this is not your film.
If you want to see an engrossing, exciting, nail biting piece of cinema, which will shock you, make you laugh, bring a tear to your eye and even make you think you can't go far wrong with Serenity.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jul 2010 18:00:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jul 2010 18:02:03 BDT
Possibly because Firefly, however good, had not been at all sucessful in attracting substantial audiences on first showing on television, the company felt they had to market the film as something different if it was to be any more popular, not that that worked either as far as I know.

Like most of Joss Whedon's own projects, Serenity must initially have proved a poor investment for the company making it, but only long term will prove a good one as it attracts a strong but minority following ensuring continued DVD and related sales.

Posted on 11 Nov 2010 14:41:29 GMT
Mrs Bee says:
I think it is best to see the series first then the film. That is the way we did it.The witty one-liners are one of the joys of both series and film.

Posted on 23 Jan 2011 20:33:42 GMT
Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. I would buy you an expensive drink if we were in a bar right now. Excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2011 09:32:07 GMT
Mrs Bee says:
doesn't need to be expensive - just in the sun in the south of France will do!

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 15:53:37 GMT
Scotia_Waya says:
I just saw this movie again last night, and can't still believe how good it is. The dialogue is brilliant, Mal is wonderfully funny (his to-and-fro with Fanty and Mingo being one of my favourites), even Jayne has really good lines ("My muscular buttocks its 40..."). I have a feeling I'll give away the DVD and get it on Blu-Ray.....just because.

Seeing as Mad Men won't be coming back soon, and The Wire's over, I think I'll re-visit the world of Firefly. DVD dust-down.

Posted on 6 Oct 2011 13:11:09 BDT
Rollingstone says:
Good review Mr Customer, Great film and a great series..

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 02:04:11 BDT
Miss Ralph says:
i saw serenity first & didn't know about firefly until a couple of years go. im shocked i understood it really without the series. im now a complete fan-girl over it.

Posted on 4 Oct 2013 16:03:38 BDT
S. Franklin says:
I agree! I cannot understand how some tripe on the US television can go for 8 seasons or more, yet something as awesome as FireFly gets just 14 episodes! If I had money, i'd invest in the show and get more seasons out there. Everyone who I have mentioned it to (who have heard of it) think it's fantastic.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (611 customer reviews)

5.99 3.40