4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the money., 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: LG 23EA63V 23-inch IPS LED 1920 x 1080 VGA DVI HDMI Monitor - Black (Accessory)
I used to have my PC hooked up in my front room to my 42" 1080p HDTV and I was sat 8 feet away from it when using it, so I can't really fairly compare before and after here. The monitor was obviously going to be sharper having same resolution at half the size. How this compares to other modern monitors though, I cannot comment. The last time I bought one was an old 19" CRT in 2003!

I chose this monitor as it had some fairly decent reviews, and it had a good feature set for the asking price. Plus I did also like the design of the panel.

Setting up out of the box was easy, but like others have mentioned I found myself concerned about the lack of weight to the base. There is some wobble if you bump the monitor. The mechanism that connects the base to the monitor also seems like it could have done with a bit more heft. With that out the way though, it wont really be a problem for me as my desk is built into a wardrobe and so there are no legs to knock and there is no movement possible for the desk's surface. With my slide-out keyboard tray attached to this desk, the monitor does not wobble with the use of keyboard and mouse so again OK for me. Others with stand-alone desks might want to weigh this up however.

The Menu system and OSD are not the easiest or most intuitive to understand, but after the first clumsy 10 minutes I got used to it. I am not so sure the touch-sensitive buttons are such a good idea though. I frequently accidentally turn the monitor off adjusting its position. It also makes finding them in the dark nearly impossible as you can't easily see the print on the front of the monitor to get the button right first time, and obviously feeling around for the right touch-sensitive button simply results in accidental menu chaos. I am going to get some tritium glow-in-the-dark stickers to address this, but it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch for LG to have made the front labels translucent to allow some backlight to make them visible in a dark room.

All these concerns are minor in contrast to the picture quality I get though. Now that I have set the monitor up to my prefernces, I rarely need anything other than the on/off button and I'm learning where that is! I was immediately impressed with the picture when I first hooked it up. The colours were (not surprisingly) vastly better than on my aging TV. Also my TV has a 12ms response time and this monitor's 5ms response time was immediately noticable in games like Planetside 2 and Bioshock Infinte when panning quickly with the mouse. No motion blur or ghosting that I can detect. I watched a movie on it last night and the colours really popped and the darks were an acceptable level. Again no hint of motion blur in fast-moving action scenes. Excellent viewing angles either sat at my desk or watching a movie from bed.

So far very pleased with this monitor. I can confirm the bug that defaults sharpness back to 5 every time you turn the monitor off, but that setting doesn't bother me. This and other little niggles does stop me giving it 5 stars though. I guess you have to look at the next price bracket up if you want perfection.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]